Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 06-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Magic Clan
OC Guild
Resting Senior Section Leader Mod
Master Mage

Points: 51,380, Level: 100 Points: 51,380, Level: 100 Points: 51,380, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Asamoya Has shown honour and chivalryAsamoya Has shown honour and chivalryAsamoya Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via AIM to Asamoya
Default Asamoya Anime Review 10: Chrono Crusade

Chrono Crusade

Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Romance, Supernatural

Themes: Demons, Girls with Guns, Historical, Religion, Sad, Tragedy

Rating: 9.5 out of 10

Original Run: November 24, 2003 – June 10, 2004

Episodes: 24

The year is 1928 A.D. The place is New York, U.S.A. The economic prosperity brought forth after the Great War also heightened the presence of something far darker and much more sinister: the demonic Sinners. The Magdalene Order is an organization that tries to counter this force. Two of its exorcists are Rosette Christopher and her assistant, Chrono. Both appear out of place in an organization like this, and they are in a quest to find Rosette's missing brother, Joshua. Their relationships, secrets and fates can only be revealed in time...

Characters:

Rosette Christopher: The impulsive, 16-year-old, protagonist of Chrono Crusade. Rosette is an elite exorcist of the Order of Magdalene and goes out on missions to destroy deadly spirits and devils. Her primary motivation is to save her brother Joshua, who has been captured by Aion. Because of a contract she formed with Chrono when she was 12, her life is slowly ticking away. Despite this, she continues to run toward her goals, confronting every challenge with a headstrong attitude. This conviction inspires others like Chrono and Azmaria to push forward, as well. She is almost ideally unfazed by the future she chose when she made her contract with Chrono, claiming she's still going to be "kicking and screaming 'til the very end". Despite knowing exactly who and what Chrono is, she doesn't seem the least bit afraid of him and trusts him indefinitely as her partner. Rosette is somewhat simple and prone to impulsive behavior that gets her in trouble later, but usually claims it's because she knows she's short on time and can't afford to hesitate on things she may never live to do again.

Chrono: Rosette's contractor, partner, and closest friend. Chrono is stoic, loyal, kind, and somewhat quiet, although his mild facade of a young boy belies a fierce, full-grown demon of somewhat infamous power. His contract with Rosette allows him to be "unsealed" into his true form, which is impossible for him to remain in permanently due to being without his demonic horns, his source of astral power. He usually fights tooth-and-nail with Rosette for any other alternative before he allows her to open the seal on the pocketwatch which links her soul with his powers, as he is extremely unwilling to drain her life away. In the form of a young boy, he is extremely docile and rather charming, often surprising the humans he is familiar with. Although considered a "reformed" demon, Chrono has quite the temper, and if provoked will go into a terrifying rage that blinds him from most everything around him, including the people he cares about. Despite this, Chrono is deathly afraid of hurting others, or of being unable to protect those most important to him.

Azmaria Hendrich: The Apostle of Charity and Songstress of Vegas. Azmaria is a 12-year-old girl with the gift of healing with song. Sensitive and fearful, at times Azmaria is more of a liability to Rosette and Chrono than she is an asset. She has been traded among families like a trophy for most of her life, so her self-confidence and feeling of self-worth is extremely low. She has a spectacular soprano singing voice, and as such began her young life singing with a Portugese orchestra, but when it was discovered that her singing voice had healing powers and marked her as an Apostle, she became an object of pursuit. After rescuing her as part of the Order's roundup of the Apostles, Rosette and Chrono soon make it their personal mission to help Azmaria to value herself just as much as she does others. She is hardworking, diligent, and very eager, and idolizes Rosette as an older sister and mentor.

Satella Harvenheit: A jewel summoner and bounty hunter specializing in demons. Her entire family was wiped out by a "hornless demon", save for her and her older sister Florette. She is now on the search for her sister, who was taken from the massacre by the monster. At first she feels uncomfortable around Rosette and the others due to their trust with Chrono, a hornless devil she thought was Aion, but after spending time with them, she recognizes them as her friends.

Sister Kate Valentine: Head of the New York Branch of the Magdalene Order. She is a strong willed woman who often seems out of place fighting demons and devils. She leads the order with an iron resolve, making sure the New York Branch Office runs as smooth as clockwork. She distrusts Chrono despite his gentle nature due to his status as a demon.

Father Ewan Remington: The minister of the Magdalene Order. He also serves as a field agent and second in command to Sister Kate. He also has the apparent ability to warp, moving from the Magdalene NY HQ to a carnival in San Francisco instantly without anyone's notice. Immediately afterward, during the phone conversation with Sister Kate, he states that he is an Angel. He later states "I am A Sinner", after he severs ties with God, declaring "I have no regrets about my torn wings".

Aion: The antagonist of the series. He is a Sinner and a demon. He is also Chrono's twin brother. He is after all of the Apostles, including Azmaria, for reasons that are unknown until Chrono reveals them.

Joshua Christopher: He holds allegiance to Aion's Sinners, and is also the Apostle of Hope and Rosette's little brother. He is able to freeze people's time with the use of Chrono's devil horns, given to him by Aion. He was tricked into taking Chrono's horns and following Aion because he didn't want Rosette to have to take care of him all the time. He wanted to be strong enough to take care of her and be her support instead of the other way around.

Music:
Opening:
#1. "Tsubasa wa Pleasure Line" by Minami Kuribayashi

Ending:
#1. "Sayonara Solitaire" by Saeko Chiba

Favorite Episode: 24.
As usual the last episode is usually 98% of the time my favorite episode.
Except for the ending it was a wonderful episode. Everythings almost back to normal, story is concluded, it was just a wonderful how they managed to pack all the story into 24 episodes.
Sad ending is sad. All I can say about that.

Conclusion: Chrono Crusade will leave you on the edge of your seat starting in the beginning episodes. I bought the boxset of it awhile back and last month started to watch it. I finished it in 3 days, that's how good it was. I will definitely recommened this to everybody who asks me what to watch again.

Extras:
*The series name was orignally spelled 'Chrno Crusade' in Japan. For its North American release it was renamed by ADV as 'Chrono Crusade.'

*In episode four, during the close up of the newspaper regarding Ricardo, the small text itself has nothing to do with the topic of the paper. Instead the text is rambling on about Republicans, Bush and Iraq current situations now, not events in 1928.

*Most of the events are based on prophecies in the Book of Revelation in the Bible.
Unread 06-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+
Default Re: Asamoya Anime Review 9: Chrono Crusade

i have been wanting to watch this for a while and its on my watch list, but i always keep getting side tracked Xb ill get around to it when i finish up the 3 anime shows i have in line to watch
awesome review

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Citizen

Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G

Many thanks for the awesome review. Maybe now I'll stop putting it on hold and watch it once and for all.
Unread 06-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Magic Clan
OC Guild
Resting Senior Section Leader Mod
Master Mage

Points: 51,380, Level: 100 Points: 51,380, Level: 100 Points: 51,380, Level: 100
Asamoya Has shown honour and chivalryAsamoya Has shown honour and chivalryAsamoya Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via AIM to Asamoya

I heard it was good and bought the boxset. But I didn't watch it for a couple of months after I bought it.
I'm thinking about rewatching it, it was that good.

Tags
anime, asamoya, chrno, chrono, crusade, review