Go Back   Anime Forum > Art Centre: > Art, Literature, Fanfiction, Videos, AMV's & OC World > How to's and Genaral Art Discussions

How to's and Genaral Art Discussions How to guides, and any genaral Art discussions here.

Unread 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Citizen: Dragon Clan.
Resting Mod
Winged Dragon

Points: 13,975, Level: 81 Points: 13,975, Level: 81 Points: 13,975, Level: 81
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
miss89 has shown loyalty and contrubutedmiss89 has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to miss89 Send a message via Yahoo to miss89 Send a message via Skype™ to miss89
Lightbulb How to make an OC

:: General about OC's ::

OC stands for Original Character. When you are going to start a new story whether it's a fanfiction or a general story - you have to get a character. It can be a reflection of yourself or some completely random.

:: Plot and character ::

1. The first and most important thing you have to do before making a new OC, is to be sure of what kind of story you are about to make. Is it a fanfiction, or something you just come up with randomly?

2. When you have decided your plot, then you have to chose a character or characters you want to have in the story.

:: Create the OC ::

1. You are about to start a fanfiction story - the anime is not important.

2. When you have decided an anime you also know what genre you're working in, which is important. It doesn't make sense to make a Naruto character for a vampire story.

3. Now you have to think of what role the character has in the story. Is it the main character, or one just will just appear a few times?
3a. You of course need more info about a main character than "an extra".

4. Be aware of where the anime takes place! Is it all happening in Japan, England, The United States or all over the world? If it only takes place in Japan then make it that way - don't bring a German or Italian into it. It has to be realistic you know.

5. When you make your OC, then again be aware of the genre. It's annoying for the reader to read a character with special powers if the story is super-natural!

6. If you are dealing with an anime where they have specials powers, then try to make your own power. Of course it can be quite hard at times. But do also try not to make him/ her "perfect" like, the one that can do it all. No one likes to read a story where the character is mary-sue, which means "over perfect" That is simply not possible!

---------

7. If you are doing a "normal" story it's a lot the same. Be sure of what role the character has in the story and do not mary-sue (make it over-perfect). Keep the character/characters as real and realistic as it's possible.

:: Using the OC/OC's ::

Think of a good way to introduce your OC, or OC's depending on how many you've made, in the story. Again, keep the character in character. Of course, depending on the story you're making, the person can change a bit. But suddenly turns the "quite, smart and shy"-type into a "loud and bossy"-type just don't work out and won't make sense. UNLESS there is a very good reason for doing so. Just don't change it because you think it was a bad idea how you made it in the first place. Remember your character is unique - only you know what's going on inside it.

I hope this small guide could help you. If there is anything you would like me to add or anything, please let me know ^_^

Good luck!!

Current theme: Naruto Shippuuden - Tobi/Madara
Design by: Crazy Vampire
Unread 12-28-2009, 01:49 AM

swordswoman
Blogger
Super donator
OC Guild 4
RPG'er
KING

Points: 219,204, Level: 100 Points: 219,204, Level: 100 Points: 219,204, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Saber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Saber
Default Re: How to make an OC

This was very helpful to me and gave me a lot more insight into how to make my own character for rpg or even storytelling in general.

Unread 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Citizen: Dragon Clan.
Resting Mod
Winged Dragon

Points: 13,975, Level: 81 Points: 13,975, Level: 81 Points: 13,975, Level: 81
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
miss89 has shown loyalty and contrubutedmiss89 has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to miss89 Send a message via Yahoo to miss89 Send a message via Skype™ to miss89

I'm glad you think so, and I hope someone else think that too ^_^

Current theme: Naruto Shippuuden - Tobi/Madara
Design by: Crazy Vampire
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:05 PM

swordswoman
Blogger
Super donator
OC Guild 4
RPG'er
KING

Points: 219,204, Level: 100 Points: 219,204, Level: 100 Points: 219,204, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Saber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Saber

I have been watching some of our members making their own characters and many of them are awesome at this. (maybe a lot read this thread!) But on a more serious note ,looking and observing other peoples OCs is very helpful. You get to have a feel for why one works better than another. Its about balance and getting the right level of detail with the right level of simplicity.
I find if its too complicated then when you come to use your OC in a game it is hard to remember all their traits and hard to make it work practically.
Often the ones who suceed are the ones who keep it fairly simple but ad more in as they get used to being their OC. We give people a chance in the rpg to add to their characters so as they get to know them they can explore having more depth and as they play in a rp game their character develops along with the plot.

Tags
guide, how to, ocs, original character, tutorial