Go Back   Anime Forum > General Discussion Forums > Easy Discussion

Easy Discussion Lighter genaral discussions.

Unread 06-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan
Resting Mod
Fighter

Points: 7,739, Level: 61 Points: 7,739, Level: 61 Points: 7,739, Level: 61
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Rufio will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Rufio Send a message via MSN to Rufio Send a message via Yahoo to Rufio Send a message via Skype™ to Rufio
Default Charity

This isn't about charity in general. I'm all for charity and don't disagree with it at all. I made this to do with one incident I saw today which has had me in two minds over it. I'd like to know what others think. I could just be over-thinking things here.

I was in Tesco today (local supermarket, probably biggest chain in UK for anyone who doesn't know), and heard over the tannoy about something like static bike ride for charity. So I looked and at the front was a guy riding an exercise bike. This is the bit that I'm iffy about.

On one hand, it's for charity and it's good. There's not really more I can say on that.

On the other hand, the whole thing seemed kinda....pathetic. It was member of staff still in uniform riding a cheap exercise bike at a very slow pace. I mean he could probably keep it up for hours and not get tired! There was a bucket besides him for money and some cardboard sign behind him. To me, usually when someone -does- something for charity it's something unusual or quite grand, like a sponsored marathon. That's not to say it can't be anything less grand than a marathon, but for the little amount of effort that this guy was using he might as well have stood there. It's like Tesco said they're having a bike ride for charity - only it's not a real bike, it's indoors in the warmth, the guy looked quite comfy sitting on it, he used little effort and there was no way to tell how far or how long he'd gone for. Maybe if they said it's a sponsored 10 mile ride or something then ok, but there was nothing like that. It literally was just some dude riding a cheap exercise bike. It just seemed to cheapen it all for me. It's something pretty much anyone can do so why make such a big deal out of it? If you wanna ask for charity then go for it. I think the fact it was just so gimmicky and had no real substance that made me frown on it.

Unread 06-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Banned

Indiveren has shown loyalty and contrubutedIndiveren has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Default Re: Charity

charity is really just puting effort to put a cause out there and help it. so the effort put into it is usualy equaled to the money it gets. the more effort, the more awareness, the more its seen as needing help, the more money. so basicly like how you saw it as pathetic many others also wont care and wont give money. so again less effort less money. plus it was probibly something they only did to make there store look better anyways.
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Resting Mod
Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Rufio Send a message via MSN to Rufio Send a message via Yahoo to Rufio Send a message via Skype™ to Rufio

It does seem that way now you mention it. I mean, this is Tesco. In Liverpool city centre (as in say a 2 mile radius) there's at least 10 Tescos including a massive 2 floored superstore! If they really wanted to make people aware then they could throw some serious money at it.

Unread 06-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Banned

Indiveren has shown loyalty and contrubutedIndiveren has shown loyalty and contrubuted

ya see it kinda seems like one of those things where there just trying to get people to want to come to that store.
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:09 PM

Points: 2,395, Level: 31 Points: 2,395, Level: 31 Points: 2,395, Level: 31
Sparkbomber is on a distinguished road

Most likely... When compared to the charity drives you see in the Netherlands, like the Alpe d'Huzes run, this is just a steaming load of cr*p.

I myself am a collector for the Nierstichting (Kidney disease research foundation) and have to work pretty hard. Thing is, that pays off. I earned +/- €30 more than the guy before me last year in a damn penny-pinching neighbourhood.
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Citizen: Magic Clan.
Blogger
Expert Mage

Points: 17,962, Level: 92 Points: 17,962, Level: 92 Points: 17,962, Level: 92
Misaki has shown loyalty and contrubutedMisaki has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Misaki

Well yeah I guess the smaller the charitable event, the less enthusiastic people are going to be. But I don't really care how people raise money, even a litle is good and it's great that people take their own time out to do something for someone else.
The only time charity annoys me is when people, on the street for example, just ask for money to save the homeless or something and assume you'll give some and get annoyed if you don't. Or even those adverts that say "JUST" £2 a month. £2 a month is a lot to some people!! Adverts should be more like 'just give when and if you can, how ever much you like'
Now I sound like I hate charity
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Resting Mod
Fighter

xD I know what you mean. I think the problem is there are so many charities that they have to try and best each other to get your money. You can't give to them all so they do use not so charitable tactics in advertising. I can understand why of course, but sometimes it can rub off the wrong way.