Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Extended Discussion Forum

Extended Discussion Forum Extended Discussion and debate

Unread 03-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Citizen

Points: 6,924, Level: 57 Points: 6,924, Level: 57 Points: 6,924, Level: 57
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
TheAnimeFan1995 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TheAnimeFan1995
Default People with psychatric diagnosis (schizo, bipolar, etc)

Do you think people who fall under this category are crazy? Do you have it and think its offensive when people call you insane or crazy?

Personally, my doctor has said I might have bipolar, and I don't personally think its ok when people call people with this insane or crazy, but I don't get offended at it myself as I consider myself in a rather mild mood when I'm not depressed.
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl
Default Re: People with psychatric diagnosis (schizo, bipolar, etc)

I dont believe in "mental illnesses" or "personality disorders" myself, because labelling human biodiversity as illnesses is just people using language that sounds like genuine medical science to convince other people that their negative judgement on behaviours is correct, even though the cognition of people like autists, sociopaths and schizotypals/bicamerals gives them advantages, at least in some kinds of environment

But I dont know enough about bipolarism to say what I think about it
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

In all seriousness...i think everyone is a bit crazy,myself included...no offence to ...umm everyone. and i talking about people not diagnosed with any psychatric diagosis.

Dont get me started on psych evaluation and how much its a big guessing game...i had my rant in another thread on psychiatry in general.So i just quote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac115 View Post
hahaha!i believe in what Tom Cruise says.... psychiatry is pseudo science.My reasons are as follows.

No matter how hard mental practitioners try to prove mental illness is physical, their studies are always disproved. All scientists go through a process where they develop a theory then do experiments to prove or disprove the theory. Once they have success they write it up in their journals so other scientists can independently test the theory to see if they get the same results. Only after its been proven this way does it get broadly published to the public as a new discovery.This is how real science works while Psychs, on the other hand, develop a theory, do some experiments, then write a book and go on talk shows. The public hears these “studies” and assumes they're scientific. The public never hears that the theory was disproved–even by other psychs. So the flawed theory gets into the public mind as fact.Same way how cornflakes put their products has 10 vitamins and minerals..no one gonna really check..they just put a corny nutrition table on the back and viola...its true.

Some might be reading this and thinking, But I know a kid who was totally uncontrollable until he took Ritalin or some medication a psychaitrist recommends. There must be truth in what the psych says.There is a bit of truth to it but not as much as one would think.. It could be any number of things: bored out of his mind, allergies, too much sugar, discipline or study related problems. But a problem is not a disease. Taking Ritalin, or Prozac or whatever, does not cure anything. It just shuts you up. If you take an aspirin you haven't cured your headache. The aspirin just desensitized your nervous system so you couldn't feel the headache. But the headache is still there. And what’s causing the headache is still there.

Psychatrists claim taking Prozac is comparable to a diabetic taking insulin. But diabetes is not anything like depression.. It's a physical thing that can be seen in a lab. Depression is not.
The psych drugs don't cure anything. They just desensitize your emotions. Good and bad ones. And when the drug wears off the problem is still there.So is that any different from a guy going to a local bar to get hammered?No difference.alcohol has the same effect as most psych drugs....go figure.
Same way on how many psych techniques like "flooding" works for some people and does not for others.Science is a based on facts...not maybes or 50% of the time.So whats next?we gonna put techniques on how to win the lotto as a scientific study?I am not bashing up on psychatrists..hey i even went to one myself...but chances are if i had a grandmother,she be more effective at handling life than my psychaitrist ever will.

People call me crazy for collecting shoes.At least people with psychiatric diagnosis has an excuse for their quirkiness....i dont.Yet it does not stop me.Do i find it offensive?A little bit but do i care what they think?Not really.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 03-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac115 View Post
People call me crazy for collecting shoes.At least people with psychiatric diagnosis has an excuse for their quirkiness....i dont.Yet it does not stop me.Do i find it offensive?A little bit but do i care what they think?Not really.
That could be interpreted as showing OCD traits, actually
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by animegirl View Post
That could be interpreted as showing OCD traits, actually
Obsessive compulsive disorder?Which part?The collecting of shoes?

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Deleted

Yep, the collecting, labelling and ordering of your shoes and not wanting to throw the older ones away. Are any of your behaviours ever repetitive too?
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Funny...that would make anyone who collects anything from stamps to collection celebrity knick-knacks be defined as OCD.

Everyone who does collecting of any sort does labelling,catergorising and has an affinity towards not discarding anything related to that collection.

To answer your question....Not really...aside from eating,sleeping and working an 9 to 5 job,nothing else is repetitive.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 03-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Deleted

Something like OCD might not be a "disorder" but its still real. Unlike some "illnesses" or "disorders" like psychopathy or ADHD which cant be linked to one cause of biology or upbringing and arent even valid categories in the first place
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

I am not saying it isnt real....i am saying that if my hobby of collecting shoes is an OCD then everyone who has done collecting at one point of their lives has OCD.A lot of people has done collecting of some kind...stamps,CDs,coins,paintings,coca-cola bottles,you name it.Which futher solidifies my stand that everyone is a little "crazy".

You could link many hobbies to upbringing or biology,a boy who grew up watching his father race cars and spends most of his time on a racetrack has a natural inclination towards racing wouldnt you say?

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 03-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Deleted

Id assume some people have a natural competitive streak that makes certain hobbies like racing attractive to them. Then again there might be another reason that attracts them to love cars, which leads them to start racing