Go Back   Anime Forum > General Discussion Forums > Games, & Media Discussions. > Movies

Unread 07-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
Blogger
OC Guild
RPG'er
Warrior

Points: 48,977, Level: 100 Points: 48,977, Level: 100 Points: 48,977, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Veku Has shown honour and chivalryVeku Has shown honour and chivalryVeku Has shown honour and chivalry
Default The Reality of the 'Bad' Nature of Today's Horror Movies

The problem with having a horror franchise - whether it be a classic one or a new one, is that the story gets lost when the director changes the plot, characters or original concept to make the next sequel in order to find a way to bring the killer/monster back for yet another body count. Let's take Halloween, with mysterious stalker/killer horror icon Michael Myers as an example.

As the series went on, he became more and more of something supernatural rather than an insane sanitarium escapee. He started out as an escaped mental patient and slowly, slowly, slowly, he became this unstoppable Jason Vorhees clone. Which, just as idiotically, gets 'turned on' or 'activated' every Halloween night by a cult.

Such is the nature of horror films in recent years.

While Halloween may be a strong example on its own, it seems appropriate to me to raise Nightmare on Elm Street with Freddy Krueger as another very strong example. In the original film, heís a shadow of a figure with the ungodly ability to murder teenagers in their dreams. Alas, following the cliche, Freddy Krueger slowly became a one-liner spewing action hero. There was no horrific art to them anymore. "How many elaborate or funny ways can we kill a character that nobody cares about this time fellas?" becomes the focal point of the film. There are no real characters in the films. There isn't anyone we as viewers care about. The well-being of that character is almost completely voided, so when they die, we get a mild amusement from the elaborate cause of death and that's that. That's it. The end.

See, as more sequels and big bucks roll in for senseless and elaborate killing sprees, the original basis slowly dies out. That is until the remakes, anyway.

In recent years we have been hit with remake after remake after remake. In 2007 Rob Zombie's Halloween, in 2009 Marcus Nispel's Friday the 13th and in 2010 Samuel Bayer's Nightmare on Elm Street. Each added a little bit of history to the main character in the film- being Michael Myers, Jason Vorhees and Freddy Krueger.

Many people don't like it when an immortal horror icon such as Michael Myers, Jason or Freddy get a little bit of back story. I, however, love it. I simply treasure those moments revealing why Michael kills. And what makes Jason so damn angry all the time. Or, perhaps even better, why Freddy liked to kill kids. In RZ's Halloween remake, we're given a little insight as to what made Michael Myers the monster he is today. Itís a new kind of horror film, rather than just the mindless killing machine he was in the classics. It makes you like him, then fear him, feel sorry for him, then hate him when he tortures and mutilates a likable character. It makes for a deeper story. Which is good. Allowing us to see his tormented past as a child lets us feel as if we can connect to him. We can sympathize for him and finally know what made him snap and kill his sister Judith on that fateful Halloween night.

See, as the years move on, Horror movies keep getting worse and worse. However, as they get worse, something good shines through. That, my friends, is the history of the character. The history! It's bizarre, sometimes. Otherwise, it's awesome! I love KNOWING the characters. A strong story is going to do that much better than a blood drenched special effects scene, in my opinion.

Donít get me wrong, I still love the classic horror films. I love the original Halloween as much as I love the new one. They are very different films, and just because I enjoy the new one doesnít mean I feel like Iím betraying the original which is where I think a lot of these criticisms come from. I like them just as much as each other.

The thing to move past is your damned blind fanboyism. You need to get away from thinking 'HEY! HE'S NOT A LUMBERING IDIOT IN THIS ONE!! RAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG." GTFOver it. If you just go to the film to see the blood and guts and laugh when people are butchered, then don't complain when a new director tries to add a little depth. A bloodfest is 90% of the horror films out there.

That's all folks!

'tis a rant. I just want some debating

Is that the best you can do?
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Points: 3,956, Level: 42 Points: 3,956, Level: 42 Points: 3,956, Level: 42
lugiamew1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to lugiamew1
Default Re: The Reality of the 'Bad' Nature of Today's Horror Movies

I for one agree wholeheartedly with you Veku. I love it when they add some depth to the story, making you feel. When you feel something for the characters such as, like you use for example, Freddy or Jason, that's when you know depth has been added. Depth is what makes me like a movie. (Like why I like Urban Legends: Bloody Mary. I hate Bill so much.) Maybe I'm going about this wrong, correct me if I am. People just need to get over that our horror classics are being remade and given back stories and as you said, they're not OMG LUMBERING IDIOTS RAAAAEEEEEG. And besides, seeing a movie just to see the blood and gore is kinda' weird. XD For me anyway... >3> *Is probably about to be pelted with rocks*
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Blogger
OC Guild
RPG'er
Warrior

Points: 48,977, Level: 100 Points: 48,977, Level: 100 Points: 48,977, Level: 100
Veku Has shown honour and chivalryVeku Has shown honour and chivalryVeku Has shown honour and chivalry

Indeed. I liked the latest installments because with Freddy, it added why he kills kids and why he was burned to a crisp.

With F13th, it told us that Jason is actually a family man.

With Halloween, we are told why Michael murdered his family. (Abuse, etc) It also adds to why he kills teenage whores. (His sister was a whore)

Unread 07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl

I dont know if youd consider them to be horror filems or not, but Id love to see proper *British* remakes of The Wicker Man and The Witchfinder General
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Blogger
OC Guild
RPG'er
Warrior

I've seen the Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage in it. It's more of a thriller

Unread 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Vegeku View Post
I've seen the Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage in it. It's more of a thriller
The original English version with Edward Woodward is often regarded as a horror film in the genre of "folk horror" together with The Witchfinder General. But then again misguided people see The Silence of The Lambs as a thriller

Last edited by animegirl; 07-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Blogger
OC Guild
RPG'er
Warrior

Yeah. Silence of the Lambs is a true horror film. It's sequels...not so much.

Unread 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Deleted

Well Id like to see a folk horror revival
Unread 01-07-2016, 03:41 AM
Royal Subject

Points: 2,500, Level: 32 Points: 2,500, Level: 32 Points: 2,500, Level: 32
KD7BWB has shown loyalty and contrubutedKD7BWB has shown loyalty and contrubuted

No longer available

Last edited by KD7BWB; 03-30-2017 at 02:53 AM.