Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Extended Discussion Forum

Extended Discussion Forum Extended Discussion and debate

Unread 02-15-2011, 04:45 PM

swordswoman
Blogger
Super donator
OC Guild 4
RPG'er
KING

Points: 221,917, Level: 100 Points: 221,917, Level: 100 Points: 221,917, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Saber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Saber
Default If you could save one creature from extinction, what would you save and why?

If you could save one creature from extinction, what would you save and why?

Say the creature and give evidence why.
It doesnt have to be from a scientific viewpoint , it can be a personal view. However you must give reasons why you would help this one creature.

How would helping this one creature impact upon the planet, its land where its found, and the balance of nature?

Last edited by Saber; 02-21-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: If you could save one creature from extinction, what would you save and why?

One creature i could save?

From an impact standpoint,i guess i would save the unsung heroes of the ocean,the plankton.They are the base and the lowest in the food cycle hierachy but without them,even the biggest animals would not survive.The blue whale ,the largest animal on earth feeds exclusively on plankton.Planktons effect the food cycle so drastically if they were wiped out and in any structure if the pillars are gone then the structure will crumble.Plankton are the pillars.

Beside plankton are beautiful things if you scrutize them under a microscope.Some of the most beautiful things cant be seen with the naked eye.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 03-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 17,401, Level: 91 Points: 17,401, Level: 91 Points: 17,401, Level: 91
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Default Re: If you could save one creature from extinction, what would you save and why?

Dinosaurs!!! If I have to be more specific, velociraptors because they are awesome and we could learn a lot.

I have no clue how much of a change the world would be if dinosaurs were still around... Jurassic Park? lol...
Unread 03-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl

Well birds are dinosaurs Materia User so theyre still here. I dont think thats wht you mean though *eek*

Id probably save some species of invertebrate or something because unless an animal is cute or it looks or acts human in some way then most people dont seem to care what happens to them
Unread 03-08-2011, 03:35 AM
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 17,401, Level: 91 Points: 17,401, Level: 91 Points: 17,401, Level: 91
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted

Quote:
Originally Posted by animegirl View Post
Well birds are dinosaurs Materia User so theyre still here. I dont think thats wht you mean though *eek*

Id probably save some species of invertebrate or something because unless an animal is cute or it looks or acts human in some way then most people dont seem to care what happens to them
well some are believed to have evolved into birds, but yeah not what I meant.
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:57 AM

Points: 3,258, Level: 37 Points: 3,258, Level: 37 Points: 3,258, Level: 37
Kore is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kore Send a message via MSN to Kore Send a message via Skype™ to Kore

None.

Think about it this way...

If you help an endangered species or "save" an extinct creature, you could potentially throw nature out of balance. It wouldn't be a quick process, no, but it's a possibility.

Scientists have pondered bringing back animals that have been extinct - like the mammoth, using elephants - but fear doing so for that very reason. They're also unsure they should help endangered animals to keep them from going extinct, as they could potentially just clone them to up the population.

Our Earth is ever-changing, though. Creatures evolve, and creatures die off. There were some amazing animals I'm sure none of you have ever heard of because they went extinct. There was no one around to save them back then, and there shouldn't be any reason to bring them back, now. The only benefit I can see is studying and learning more about them.

I would rather animals die off and new ones come into existence than save any of them.
Unread 03-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl

Well that refers to anciently extinct animals such as mammoths, not to recently extinct or endangered ones, like thylacines. However I agree that in some cases there might be a good economic or even ecological argument not to, based on how the ecosystem has changed in that animals absence. But in other cases an argument can be made that it is neccessary to do this to preserve an ecosystem, because of how organisms have co-evolved, and the fact that ecosystems re-stabilise themselves doesnt change the fact that so many of them are in man-made chaos at present

But in somewhere like Australia since the Pleistocene megafaunal extinctions, the climate has changed so much that I doubt the megafauna would even survive in the modern outback, so if youre going back as far as those animals then I agree
Unread 03-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Citizen
BloggerOC Guild 2
Resting Mod
Master Mage

Points: 23,319, Level: 100 Points: 23,319, Level: 100 Points: 23,319, Level: 100
KozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to KozaKuraHaiNe Send a message via Skype™ to KozaKuraHaiNe

I don't think I would save any creature, because there would be more competition between us, animals and the environment.. Besides, due to our greedy, selfish nature, many creatures are endangered right now, if more animals are alive on earth, we might put them back in extinction due to our nature. Also, how do you think extinct animals like dinosaurs or dodo birds can survive in the current environment? It's very different to many years ago.
Unread 04-01-2011, 12:12 AM

swordswoman
Blogger
Super donator
OC Guild 4
RPG'er
KING

Points: 221,917, Level: 100 Points: 221,917, Level: 100 Points: 221,917, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Saber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Saber

So far there are some very interesting responses.
I think Sir Tupac makes a good point about 'plankton' and that it does an amazing job by being there and those who feed off plankton like the Blue Whale would go without its existence.

If I could save one creature it would have to be one of the primates. I would however be torn between the gorillas, the chimpanzees and the orangutans. Each one of these have something special which I feel they can offer to the planet and to humans to help us evolve. In seeing how they live their lives I think we can learn so much about our instinctive behaviour. Learned behaviour and how different environments effect the way we live.

The gorilla teaches us nobleness and the orangutan intelligence and reflectiveness and the chimpanzee I think are an echo of ourselves and how we behave as a tribe.

Unread 04-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Blogger
OC Guild
RPG'er
Warrior

Points: 48,977, Level: 100 Points: 48,977, Level: 100 Points: 48,977, Level: 100
Veku Has shown honour and chivalryVeku Has shown honour and chivalryVeku Has shown honour and chivalry

Tigers. I would choose Tigers.

Personally, I see them as the single most beautiful creature on God's green earth. WHile being a ferocious predator, they're just so wonderfully elegant. To the eyes, they're a fantastic sight and just plain...beautiful.

I love tigers.

Is that the best you can do?