Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Extended Discussion Forum

Extended Discussion Forum Extended Discussion and debate

Unread 12-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Superstition discussion.

Its fun to know about superstitions but i think its a bunch of hogwash to me.
Superstition mostly comes about when people believe a certain thing to be true by word of mouth.A popular one in asia would be to never cut your fingernails at night.I think in reality is it to make sure you dont accidentally cut your fingers because olden days nail clippers are like scissors and since its dark at night you might accidentally cut off your fingers.
It just passed down through the ages by word of mouth and became superstition.This is my theory anyways.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 12-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Citizen
BloggerOC Guild 2
Resting Mod
Master Mage

Points: 23,319, Level: 100 Points: 23,319, Level: 100 Points: 23,319, Level: 100
KozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to KozaKuraHaiNe Send a message via Skype™ to KozaKuraHaiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulduggerysAngel View Post
wats a Moon Cake Festival?
lol, and like i said in my post, i love proving them wrong.
Black cats are cute, and i used to have a black cat for a pet, and one my my mates, who is superstitous, would room out of the room as fast as she could the moment he came in!!
lol, it was funny 2 watch!!!
lol. black cats ARE cute! i don't believe in the black cat bad luck stuff
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Citizen
RPG'er

Points: 4,496, Level: 45 Points: 4,496, Level: 45 Points: 4,496, Level: 45
Ciel Phantomhive is on a distinguished road

It's apparently said that British black Cats are actually Good Luck.
That's probably the only superstition i believe.
Someone i knew had a british black cat and she'd always have good luck in things and she achieved everything she wanted.
I know it may have been coincidence, or something else, but i genuinely believe it's the cat.
Besides she wasn't the only person i know for it to happen to.

I think the stupid chain mail superstitions that everyone spams your goddamn e-mail inbox with IS a load of bull. According to those.. i have like 500 years worth of bad luck. I read them just to take the piss.
The whole if you dont send this one some ghost will appear in your room at midnight. I sat like laughing my ass off like "That'll be hilarious to see." I really think those are just sooo pathetic.

Stuff like walking under ladders and stuff...
well walking under ladders i think the only bad luck you'd get from that is if the ladder fell on you, or some paint fell on you because you knocked it on your way under.
So also a load of monkeytosh really.

RPGs: Ayamaru Hamasaki ~ Ayame Hissatsu ~ Maria Phantomhive ~ Kyouraku Shunsui ~ Yuki Kuran ~ Claude Ash ~ Reika Senri ~ Fayth Valentine + Nero
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

Black cats happen to be cute,i have no idea how Black cats came to be assiociated with bad luck and witches.People in Ancient Eygpt used to worship cats,there is even a story on how a Roman empire Soildier was mugged to death by Eygptian civilians for kicking a cat.They believed cats where Divine.

Well believe in superstition or not,its quite a powerful aspect of tradition even in these modern times.That you cant deny.In certain culutures it is even stronger.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 01-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

Syn has much shamelfulbehaviour in the pastSyn has much shamelfulbehaviour in the past
Send a message via Skype™ to Syn

I don't believe in much superstitions. But some are quite amusing here where I live.

Like: if you sing in the kitchen, you will marry an old man.

And if you dream of snakes, it means that someone wants to take your hand in marriage. Which comes as pretty amusing to me since I had a dream involving snakes once.
Unread 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

I heard of those as welll.Some superstition are quite hilarious.

There is an underlying reasoning for most superstition though.For example,walking under a ladder brings you bad luck.In essance its trying to tell people not to walk under a ladder.Why?its pretty simple if you ask me,if a ladder collapses when you are under it then you be in for a world of hurt.

Thats what superstition is to me mostly.Lessons and warnings evolved into stories to warn people.Funny on when certain things are more mysterious people tend to believe more in it.Telling someone that walking under a ladder is bad luck has more effect than telling him,"hey,the ladder might fall on you"

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Citizen: Dragon Clan.
Winged Dragon

Points: 23,768, Level: 100 Points: 23,768, Level: 100 Points: 23,768, Level: 100
sakura has shown loyalty and contrubutedsakura has shown loyalty and contrubuted

I find superstitions really ridiculus.I can't beleive people still beleive in such things!There is no actual proof that these things actually happen.
Anyway is so hilarious to see people acting like mad each time thay see a black cat or so!I always laugh at them!
Unread 12-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

It is rather ridiculous but "belief" is a strong emotion.When people believe in something,something that has no base can become "truth".
Like for example the Bermuda triangle.No explaination is avaiable for why planes go down there but people belief that its caused by extra-terriestrials and whatnot and it has stuck.I change my example to a regular four-way junction near my house.Over the past 5 years,there has been over 50 accidents there.Word going around is that its haunted by the spirit of the people who died in the accidents.They belief it so.

Superstition is a lot like that.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 12-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

fullblue has shown loyalty and contrubutedfullblue has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to fullblue

Superstitions are mostly made up of old folk tales or urban legend. There is a long story how the number 13 or sometimes reffered as a baker's dozen come about. I shall put it in a few words.

One day a witch come to a bakery to buy a dozen bun. The bakers hand the witch a basket of twelve bread. The witch rejected the bread saying that it should be thirteen bread. The baker refused to give one more and the witch leave the bakery angrily. She left a curse in the bakery. Since that day, all the weird stuff happening in the bakery and their business suffers. A few days later the witch visited the bakery again and the baker offered him a basket of thirteen bread. And the witch blessed the number thirteen as unlucky number afterwards.

What about the number 666? Well, it got to do with the bible and history of Christianity. The number 666 is also known as the number of the beast. Where the number come from? Well, according to the book I read, Ancient Jews associates numbers with their alphabets. The number 666 is obtained from the sum of the numbers representing the alphabets that make up the name of a person. It was the Emperor Nero who are famous for prosecuting Christians (there are contradictory sources about Nero though)

Superstitions are often a lazy attempt to explain certain phenomenon just like what pacfish had said about Bermuda Triangle. Some people say that it's done by alien with super advanced technology without bothering a more reliable explanation.
Unread 03-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Citizen: Magic Clan.
Adept Mage

Points: 7,605, Level: 61 Points: 7,605, Level: 61 Points: 7,605, Level: 61
Hero Emiya will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Hero Emiya

I don´t believe in superstition, if i go through bad times i wouldn´t think it is because i´m cursed.
Superstitions only make you worry for nothing and some are very ridiculous.

Tags
superstition