Go Back   Anime Forum > General Discussion Forums > Easy Discussion

Easy Discussion Lighter genaral discussions.

Unread 05-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Citizen: Royal Clan
Resting Mod
Fighter

Points: 8,752, Level: 65 Points: 8,752, Level: 65 Points: 8,752, Level: 65
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Rufio will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Rufio Send a message via MSN to Rufio Send a message via Yahoo to Rufio Send a message via Skype™ to Rufio
Question Why is it the river Mersey?

I was thinking about this earlier but why do we call it the river Mersey and not the Mersey river? I checked on wiki and pretty much every river in England has it that way. But we don't call it the ocean Pacific or the sea Atlantic.
Unread 05-30-2012, 03:57 PM
(maternity leave) Super Moderator /Senior Moderator Experience
Sir Vegeta1: The Warrior
Blogger
Community Mod
OC Guild
RPG'er
Knight At Arms

Points: 93,514, Level: 100 Points: 93,514, Level: 100 Points: 93,514, Level: 100
Activity: 76%
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%
Vegeta has a spectacular aura about themVegeta has a spectacular aura about themVegeta has a spectacular aura about themVegeta has a spectacular aura about themVegeta has a spectacular aura about them
Default Re: Why is it the river Mersey?

because they want to make things confusing lol who knows i dont know lol and they had a bit dislexia to boot when they named the river i guess thats what i would say cause i do that alot to things and i put them backwards for sure

my characters from ecaz list of my ocs general amvs members own amvs dragonball z/gt AF anime and manga
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Resting Mod
Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Rufio Send a message via MSN to Rufio Send a message via Yahoo to Rufio Send a message via Skype™ to Rufio

In US it's the opposite and the way you'd expect like Hudson river, not river Hudson. One reason it might be is alot of river names are very old. Wiki states some names come from pre-celtic days like 2000BC so maybe in their language that's how they'd say it and as it got translated the order just stuck.

Unread 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Blogger
Super donator
Guardian Dragon
ADMIN
Representatives Leader

Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100
Dragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Dragonlady Send a message via MSN to Dragonlady Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonlady Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonlady

I believe that it's just their dialect that causes them to say it that way. Old English language I think. We here in the States are more laid back with our language and we do use a lot of slang words. Also, the British also spell some of the words differently from us. I believe that comes from Old English as well. Such as color is to us, it's colour to them.
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Resting Mod
Fighter

I dunno. I'm British but I can't think of any other words that we use in that way. We're pretty much the same as Americans apart from the spellings. Old English is just confusing.

Unread 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Blogger
Super donator
Guardian Dragon
ADMIN
Representatives Leader

Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100
Dragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Dragonlady Send a message via MSN to Dragonlady Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonlady Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonlady

You know, thinking about my time spent in French class, the French also put river before the name of the river.
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Resting Mod
Fighter

Well we basically stole the English language from everyone else Originally it was Celtic here, then the Saxons brought germanic language and we half-inched a few from neighbouring countries like france so it's probably to do with that. one of the things that stuck over the centuries. A passage from the bible comes to mind for this. I think it goes 'forgive them lord for they know not what they do'. To say it now it would be 'forgive them lord for they do not know what they are doing', so maybe alot of language as reversed back in the day.

Unread 06-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Blogger
Super donator
Guardian Dragon
ADMIN
Representatives Leader

That could possibly be. But with some of the different river's names, it does sound better when river is put before the name of the river. Hmmm... come to think of it, none of the rivers in the US are called that way. River always follows the name (Mississippi River, St. Johns River, etc.).