Go Back   Anime Forum > General Discussion Forums > Easy Discussion

Easy Discussion Lighter genaral discussions.

Unread 05-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Deleted

Skele-bones_F! will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Skele-bones_F! Send a message via Skype™ to Skele-bones_F!
Default Aisians vs Blonde chick

The video:
What went down:
At the University of California at Los Angeles a blonde girl student, posted a video online (YouTube, see above), using a mocking foreign language to imitate Asian students talking loudly in the library, she probably didn't think twice about it. But for many, that moment — along with others in the video — was yet another illustration of students' willingness to openly criticize their Asian peers.

So basically, she then got way more peeps watching her video then she intended, it skyrocketed out of control. She then received numerous death threats, towards her and her family as most of her personal information was made public. Even after removing the video people still got a hold of it, and pretty much they chased her out of UCLA, she apologized and quit the college, judging by how many asian ninjas are probably fastening there headbands, I would call her off dead already.

If you want more detail, here

My view:
I hate to see this kind of thing happen, I get the feeling that people like to play witch hunt and target certain people instead of dealing with the full problem, see, behind closed doors were all making blonde jokes and scoffing it off like it was nothing, yet one miserable video has the power to nearly get you killed. I think that personally, I would not get offended at a joke targeting my race, as I honestly do not see why I should care, I probably would laugh and agree. I would however be offended if the joke were targeting me, there's a big difference. Okay so were white trash, hell, most of us are anyways. I don't see the big deal, she has her first amendment right to complain over the internet and say whatever the hell she wants to say, there is no such thing as a public opinion trial without criminal charges in this country. If you want to retaliate, use words, forcing her to leave UCLA really makes you a bigger douche then her. Okay so there's the earthquake and all, but running people out of UCLA is not going to help the situation, and I don't understand why you would point a finger at this girl. There are SO many video's out there insulting the shit out of everything, why aren't we waving pitchforks at them?
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:10 AM
Citizen

Points: 7,583, Level: 61 Points: 7,583, Level: 61 Points: 7,583, Level: 61
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
nanafan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aisians vs Blonde chick

i remember seeing that vid a while ago. i admit she's kinda right,but there are other people that act rude in the library too. i'm not saying she deserves to be threatened or not. but japanese people have a different point of view from us. when she's saying that they need to learn american manners, that doesn't make sense the manners she is talking about is mostly common courtesy. she has a right to say what she feels but she also has to understand where the other people are coming from. anyone can be rude it doesn't matter where they came from.
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:11 AM
Citizen

i remember seeing that vid a while ago. i admit she's kinda right,but there are other people that act rude in the library too. i'm not saying she deserves to be threatened or not. but japanese people have a different point of view from us. when she's saying that they need to learn american manners, that doesn't make sense the manners she is talking about is mostly common courtesy. she has a right to say what she feels but she also has to understand where the other people are coming from. anyone can be rude it doesn't matter where they came from.
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:31 AM
Citizen
BloggerOC Guild 2
Resting Mod
Master Mage

Points: 22,271, Level: 100 Points: 22,271, Level: 100 Points: 22,271, Level: 100
KozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to KozaKuraHaiNe Send a message via Skype™ to KozaKuraHaiNe

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this, but I'm no mod, so I don't know.

This is rather pathetic, I must say. I'm an Asian, and I've laughed at almost every Asian joke I've ever heard, because hey, sometimes it's true! It's a public opinion, I don't think this girl was targeting anyone in particular, but I don't think she would be accepting different opinions. There are people who get sensitive over the race card, so they might feel offended when watching. This girl should understand that there are people who take it more seriously than others, and that's why I do my best to never take the internet seriously.
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skele-bones_F! View Post
So basically, she then got way more peeps watching her video then she intended, it skyrocketed out of control. She then received numerous death threats, towards her and her family as most of her personal information was made public. Even after removing the video people still got a hold of it, and pretty much they chased her out of UCLA, she apologized and quit the college, judging by how many asian ninjas are probably fastening there headbands, I would call her off dead already.

If you want more detail, here
Both the outcry over that video and that link with more information about it are hilarious

Click here to see full text
When students approach Chou for advice on how to respond to such taunts, she tells them all they can do is try to defy the stereotypes. That might involve something as simple as calling out the assailant as a racist.

UCLA can do its part too, Blumenfeld said. Wallace did not see Asian students as human beings, he said. "She saw them as the other, as even less than human," he said. "She saw herself as dominant." By hosting diversity awareness lectures and events, requiring students to take multicultural courses, and having precise and visible anti-discrimination policies that are enforced on campus, students and administrators can gain from this incident rather than dwell on it, Blumenfeld said. "When we see people as fully dimensional human beings, it's harder to put them in that box," he said. "In that way, we will learn from them, they will learn from us."

Theres no Asian country where white American immigrants would be referred to as American-Asians, and if America had the same kind of immigration policy that Asian countries have, then most of those Asians wouldnt even be there. And the Asian countries have the more sensible policy to immigration IMO, but how many Asian-Americans and anti-racist whites in America would object if America copied Asian immigration policies? What a joke but were supposed to take these people seriously

I find it absolutely remarkable that people care more about people who were offended by someone who was joking, than by loonies sending death threats beause they didnt get a joke. So-called racism really is the new blasphemy

And in what way did this girl "not see Asian students as human beings" and as "even less than human" exactly? Its just some stream of impressive sounding but meaningless language someone has spouted out to impress people who dont know what this crap means... multiculturalist idiots are just the lefts version of the Evangelical and Zionist right in America. Of course this girl didnt see Asians as inhuman or herself as dominant... its just complete nonsense

Besides what is racism except a value judgement... its not the name of a belief which someone has like Nazism or Christian Identity or something. All living things preserve their own self interest, and social animals like humans do that by acting as groups, which means immigrants fighting for their interests and the people who want them out of the country are just up to the same kind of thing
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Citizen

i agree she never acted like she was dominant or superior to asians. meh, if you post a vid on the internet, might as well expect a lot of different reactions to it. i will have to check out their immigration policy cuz i am kinda curious.
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Deleted

Well I tried getting into Thailand and running away from home with some money, and its difficult, and Thailand has a fairly liberal immigration policy for an Asian country too. A country should have an ethnocentric immigration policy, so Im *not* criticising the Asians for that but there is always a kind of hypocrisy involved in anti-racism because the governments in white western countries are way more tolerant of outsiders when theyre compared to the countries where the immigrants come from
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted

I'm asian, and don't take offense to this.
Then again, I was never easily offended anyways, even if people hate me for my race... good for them? lol it's their problem not mine. I ignore such people in life, and probably don't even recognize it for what it is most the time.

When someone hates you, there can be a million other reasons for it, and I tend to assume that it's something else.

btw, I think this belongs more in the debate section.
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materia User View Post
Then again, I was never easily offended anyways, even if people hate me for my race... good for them? lol it's their problem not mine. I ignore such people in life, and probably don't even recognize it for what it is most the time.
And thats the best attitude to take IMO
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Citizen

thanks for the insite animegirl. i agree materia, u never know why a person hates another it could be over something small or something big.