PDA

View Full Version : I found a fatal flaw in the Deathnote manga!

Silverstreak
10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
How to Use: IX
2. The Death Note will be rendered useless if the victim's name is misspelled four times.
3. If the victim's name was misspelled on purpose four or more times, the user along with the victim will die.

Surely a rule that we all know. But when I was rereading it today, I noticed something that jumped out at me.

http://i.imgur.com/7IWtA.png

That's not 7 different spellings for Shibuimaru Takuo. That's 6 misspellings, and one correct spelling. Takuo's death was accidental, and if his first spelling was correct, Light may have faced death. Rebuttals?

Merixcil
10-13-2011, 09:32 PM
:palm:

Well, I think this is the first legitimate plot hole I've seen in Death note! can't believe I didn't spot it myself...

But yeah, you're right, Light should either have died or his death note should have failed to work. Derp de derp death note! :p

Silverstreak
10-13-2011, 09:48 PM
It's extra bad, because it happened in Chapter 1 of Volume 1. This is the end of the story. No showdown with L, no meeting Near or Misa, no anything.

Merixcil
10-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Hmm, maybe we should keep this our little secret then, I think the world needs death note more than this flaw needs pointing out.

Although, you pointed out that if we keep your little find in, then Near is gone....which is VERY tempting

Silverstreak
10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
I think everyone should know ;)

TheBlueMan
10-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Wow nice detective skills i never would have found that at all

Merixcil
10-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Hmm, maybe Silver is internet Near! :eek:

What with Loopy being internet Kira and me being internet L... :hm:

Silverstreak
10-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Drat, my cover is blown. You got me.

Halibel
10-14-2011, 11:33 PM
If what two and three say, Light should have died too. No question about it,
but thats the authors fault :p

+Masamune+
10-14-2011, 11:36 PM
we must get rid of the evidence...Shido! take care of it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49FkMgGjChI

LoopyPanda
10-15-2011, 01:37 AM
Hmm, maybe Silver is internet Near! :eek:

What with Loopy being internet Kira and me being internet L... :hm:
Damit! :yell: Dam that Internet L! :yell: You blew our secret covers :palm: God, L, you've gotta be careful. :hm: And I've got my eye on you Internet Near!:yell:

Rebuttal:
Anyway, maybe it could be a fake rule :hm: It could be that Ryuk wrote that in to see if a human dumb enough would try it or something. :lol: Or to keep someone from screwing around :lol:

Merixcil
10-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Loopy, we've been banging on about being Internet Kira and Internet L so very much that it really doesn't matter if we say it here, besides, anyone who cares will pick up on it...so no one care so far.... :(

This evidence shall stand forever as shocking proof that the creators of Death Note are not infallible! I know it's hard to believe, but I think we need to get our heads out of the clouds again

Dynasty Warrior
10-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Actually, the rule makes sense, so long as the correct spelling for takuo was in the first four. So Light wouldn't have to die, nor would it not take effect.
4 misspellings in a row, is what I think it means.. so if light got the first two as a misspelling, the third was corrct and the remainder wrong- it wouldn't matter since the death note would already be taking effect on the third, correct, name.

Mizuno151
10-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Actually, the rule makes sense, so long as the correct spelling for takuo was in the first four. So Light wouldn't have to die, nor would it not take effect.
4 misspellings in a row, is what I think it means.. so if light got the first two as a misspelling, the third was corrct and the remainder wrong- it wouldn't matter since the death note would already be taking effect on the third, correct, name.

That's true, once a (correct) name has been written, a new reference to that person will not take effect. So, if the third spelling is correct, then the following ones are invalid and there's no flaw. But, are you sure the third spelling is correct?

LoopyPanda
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Loopy, we've been banging on about being Internet Kira and Internet L so very much that it really doesn't matter if we say it here, besides, anyone who cares will pick up on it...so no one care so far.... :(

This evidence shall stand forever as shocking proof that the creators of Death Note are not infallible! I know it's hard to believe, but I think we need to get our heads out of the clouds again
Rixy, I was just joking, no one gets our inside joke yet :lol:

I need to bring my Death Note geekisms back! :hmm:

Sovereign64
10-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Oh wow. That's a big mistake I've seen in a bestselling manga.

Dynasty Warrior
10-16-2011, 08:24 AM
That's true, once a (correct) name has been written, a new reference to that person will not take effect. So, if the third spelling is correct, then the following ones are invalid and there's no flaw. But, are you sure the third spelling is correct?

We don't know, but considering Light isn't dead along with the person and the notebook did work; either the first, second or third are correct.
I don't think a manga author would make such a huge "error" like that.

fullblue
10-16-2011, 03:00 PM
We need the original Japanese version to know.

Lightning
10-17-2011, 10:17 PM
It's not an error if you think about this logically; it says the fourth misspelling.

So in this case it has to be the fourth one that is correct.
1st = misspelling
2nd = misspelling
3rd = misspelling
4th = correct (takes effect - no consequence)
5th = misspelling
6th = misspelling
7th = misspelling
No 8th means there's not 4 misspellings so the "4x misspelling" rules don't take effect.

So, yeah, the 4th name is correct in this list.

LoopyPanda
12-26-2011, 01:17 AM
It's not an error, then. It's just to make it look like one. Maybe to get the reader go, "Lol, Light's gonna die cuz he did that wrong!" Then it works and there all like, "ZOMG I thought he'd die!"

Tadashi
04-29-2012, 08:56 PM
wait so Light could have died and even tho he was writing randomly hoping he gets it right? :waa: