PDA

View Full Version : who did you think the bad guy was?

Materia User
08-05-2011, 11:05 PM
It's debatable for sure.
Do you blame think Light was a bad guy killing all those people? don't forget he also killed that girl who wasn't a criminal. She just knew to much.

or perhaps you agree with his general philosophy and think L should have died for the greater good?

or something else entirely? perhaps you think Ryuk is the bad guy for dropping the death note?

AngelOfTheFallen
08-05-2011, 11:10 PM
I think Ryuk is the REAL bad guy. He dropped the note and caused all this agony BECAUSE HE WAS BORED! People died over his boredom. That seems pretty evil to me. Also, he pretended to be Light's friend, I know he said that he was on neither side but he still implied himself to be on Light's side than at the end there was a SMALL chance that Light COULD have survived but Ryuk didn't want to bother wait so he wrote Light's name down there and then.

Merixcil
08-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Ryuk may have been bored, but Light still chose to do it. Much as I was on Light's side while watching the anime, my political sensibilities lean in L's direction in real life, Light was the bad guy, yet still the protagonist.

Kanoke
09-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Towards the end Light was the villain. He was corrupted by power.

animegirl
09-01-2011, 10:07 PM
There wasn't intended to be a 'bad guy' according to the creators, as Light and L were both intended to be amoral.

Materia User
09-01-2011, 10:20 PM
There wasn't intended to be a 'bad guy' according to the creators, as Light and L were both intended to be amoral.

Intended or not, they obviously weren't.

animegirl
09-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Actually they were, by most peoples standards. they both had sociopathic personality traits.

Materia User
09-02-2011, 04:55 AM
Amoral is a lack of caring whether your actions are right or wrong or having no moral standards. Both L and Light feel very strongly about what they are doing...

animegirl
09-02-2011, 08:41 AM
No they presented it as such to others ;)

Their cheif motivations were boredom and ego

Merixcil
09-02-2011, 10:43 AM
If Light was amoral he wouldn't have put any consideration into who he was killing, he deliberately set out to create what he felt would be a better world, while L set out to put a stop to what he felt would be a worse world. Yes, boredom and ego and in L's case the desire to solve a puzzle all played their part, and towards the end they played the biggest part for Light, but both still had a moral drive.

animegirl
09-02-2011, 02:52 PM
If Light was amoral he wouldn't have put any consideration into who he was killing, he deliberately set out to create what he felt would be a better world, while L set out to put a stop to what he felt would be a worse world. Yes, boredom and ego and in L's case the desire to solve a puzzle all played their part, and towards the end they played the biggest part for Light, but both still had a moral drive.

But Light did not view his ideal world in terms of moral oughts but as a practical solution, and getting in his way made anyone else a problem to be solved.

Merixcil
09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Well, seeing as Light's intention was to create a world in which people would be too scared to act against his morals and i they did would be punished then there's still moral thought in that. As I said, it wasn't the only force driving Light but morality played it's part.

~Sukichu~
09-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Honestly, I see it more as Ryuk AND Light's faults.

If Ryuk hadn't have dropped the Death Note, then Light would've never even known about it, therefore he wouldn't be able to get corrupted with power towards the end.

However, he did drop it and Light had the option of not even picking it up, yet he did. He also had the option of giving it up for good and even though he gave it up, he got it back and pretty much made sure not to lose it again.

I didn't really see anyone as the "good guy" or the "bad guy" in the series, more-so acting on what they thought was right and end the end, it just wasn't.

Merixcil
09-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Now Ryuk really does come across as amoral! But yeah you're right, it was both Light and Ryuk wo started the whole kaoboodle, ergo, they are teh badguys

animegirl
09-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Only because they lost ;)

Merixcil
09-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Interesting theory, but when L died I didn't feel that that made Light a good character and L a bad one, and at ta pint you don't know who will win.

Kanoke
09-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Shouldn't the title thread be who DID you think the bad guy was?

Materia User
09-05-2011, 07:15 AM
w/e... lol.

terrible grammer I are.

~Sukichu~
09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I can change it for you if you want? :D

Merixcil
09-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah, but being cool doesn't make you the good guy, just makes you the guy whose side everybody is on ;)

Materia User
09-05-2011, 09:42 PM
I can change it for you if you want? :D

sure, do you may. it can be. yes.

~Sukichu~
09-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Huhh? :lol:

Tadashi
04-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Light's ultimate goal was a good one but he started killing innocent ppl in the way, so he is kinda bad :umm: L is the good guy for sure, as its not civilians job to take care of criminals

G.K.
05-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Not knowing who to root for was one of my favorite parts about deathnote. While I never really saw L as a bad guy it was a ways in till I truly saw light as a Villain. In the end both sought similar goals and served similar purposes. The fact that they're respective abilities were turned against one another was almost tragic in my mind.

Tadashi
05-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Light had a sick idea of punishing criminals and becoming a god, L just wanted to stop Light as he became a criminal himself(light i mean)

MrTheAwesomeOne2
06-27-2012, 10:21 PM
The entire time i was watching DeathNote i always thought Light was the good guy but then i realised he was the bad guy :eek:

Kanoke
06-28-2012, 02:01 AM
It depends on your definition of "bad guy" and "good guy"

LoopyPanda
04-08-2015, 04:52 PM
I don't think I ever posted in here!

Since it's been a while and I've been able to see it multiple times, I think Ryuk's ultimately the bad guy. While he seems unaligned and doesn't care who uses his notebook, he dropped it into Earth for the sole reason of seeing a human get their hands on it. He knew there would be a human out there willing to use it, and he likely foresaw a big bundle of chaos coming in as a crash of events. Otherwise, he'd die of boredom.

So I guess in a way he's one of those indirect villains who cause trouble simply for entertainment. That's just his goal; to create chaos or some chain of events that will keep him entertained. He was even more intrigued by humans once Light had actually gotten his hands on it (I think he mentioned how bored he was with the last owner he had pick up his notebook) and L/Near/Mello came in as the gamechangers.

And in the end Ryuk finished Light off, satisfied with the good run Light had, but he knew surviving those bullets wouldn't be likely so he finished him off looking like he didn't feel too bad about it.

Light was sort of both a hero and a villain. Despite initially killing off bad guys, he eventually became an extremist of a bad guy and started killing anyone that opposed him along with manipulating others that followed him (poor Misa). Even though he and L both fought for justice, it was still murder that he tried to justify. The whole series itself is pretty much a big extreme version of a typical debate on the Death Penalty and the Justice System itself.

That's how I see it anyway lol

huntthegreat
08-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Light was sort of both a hero and a villain.

I really disagree with this sentiment. Although Kira was definitely an anti hero, if the question is "who was the bad guy?" it's most definitely him. None of his actions were actually justified as "for the good of humanity." From the very first episode he stated his intent to become a god overlooking humanity. His actions were, and always have been, malicious because they were done to satisfy his own vanity.

Am I saying Ryuk is innocent? No. He was definitely negligent by allowing a human to hold possession of a death note. However, Kira's actions were purely malicious in intent. It is like comparing illegal weapon distribution to murder.

LoopyPanda
08-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Ryuk wasn't really negligent so much as he did it on purpose. It wasn't the first time he just plopped it on the ground. I'll admit it was a stretch for me to call him the ultimately evil force, but he fits better into the Chaotic Neutral category leaning towards the evil bit. Conisdering most humans who actually do use the Notebook use it for generally evil things. But he's more evil because he was just bored.

Really? I never found Light to be initially malicious until a few episodes in, but that's probably my first impression from so long ago. Though I probably phrased that weird. I don't think he's an Anti-Hero either. I'm not sure what the heck he'd be! :lol: Maybe an Anti-Villain but then turns into a Villain? Idk it's been too long since I watched it. Lol

I don't mind disagreement since it's pretty subjective depending on the angle and the like.

Okami Amaterasu
09-01-2015, 05:38 PM
I think it's L tbh :lmao:

WishIWasInAnAnime
09-13-2015, 06:16 PM
I personally think no one was intentionally bad, light was too obsessed with the power which made him unintentionally lose his mind. Ryuk is technically the evil one but I think hes nice enough

BowserBoy
09-13-2015, 08:46 PM
I think it was the Shinigami who put the book there in first place to stir up trouble

Saber
09-13-2015, 09:06 PM
I think it was the Shinigami who put the book there in first place to stir up trouble
I have to agree partly with this comment. But all people have good and bad in them. And they can choose to follow the good side or the bad side. L was clearly good but Light was tempted to become the judge and play God. That meant his good side was taken over by his bad side.

KD7BWB
10-25-2015, 03:13 AM
No longer available

elucifexeia
11-27-2015, 03:57 AM
It's amusing someone can pinpoint a plot so exactly without even finishing a show; perhaps the outcome was predictable, but how it came to that is far far from it. Even the way it ended was unexpected, even with those expectations. It's clear, very clear, especially towards the end how Death Note is geared to go. Like Saber says with him striving to play God; it was initially a pure notion, a pure desire to see the bad in humanity disappear. Those that the law couldn't punish. But his actions are what bore the burden on him; as indirect as it was, he had become a murderer. The moment he chose that "God-like" path, his pure intentions were cast aside and his sanity was bound to slip away. If not by the obsession of power--of playing God--it would have been his own guilt and conscience. Ultimately, he would have ended up the same way. "I can't stop now. I've gone too far. This is necessary. There's nothing else I can do." likely being the mentality that would have accompanied the latter, had it happened. But instead he was challenged early on--and we know Light is a Grade A student, a perfectionist, and challenging him gave him the mentality that he must not lose.

In essence, and at heart, I don't believe Light was wrong in what he wanted to do; I wouldn't label him a bad guy for wanting criminals who hurt others dead, but he was wrong with the path he took.

You could say Ryuk was the bad guy for dropping the Death Note, but that couldn't be entirely the case. Ryuk never interfered directly after that--not beyond explaining rules to Light, or doing things as ordered. The only hand and ace he played was dropping the book. In the middle of a school. That could have been ignored. Thrown away and forgotten. But it wasn't. It's like saying that a shopkeeper who sold a gun to somebody is the cause for all the bad things that may or may not happen with it: They don't know what will happen. Ryuk certainly didn't know what would happen. And yes, he did find it interesting, but that still doesn't make him a bad guy. He doesn't encourage or discourage actions, but watches and waits for Light's time to be up.

However though I don't see Light as the bad guy, neither do I see L as one (or N or M for that matter, since N was technically the one to figure it out in the end; though L did have his guesses/suspicions, Light outwitted him at every turn). L was trying to catch a criminal; there's no question that Light had become one. BUT, I do think that L's influence pushed Light to become worse. The challenge he posed the key to igniting Light's fuel for not only eradicating criminals but eradicating the competition. And yet, there was no other way to draw Light out. L did all he could, but he couldn't claim victory in the end because his methods were wrong, placing him (in my opinion) in a similar situation as Light, but at the other end of the spectrum. He threw logic and law at every turn, and backed Light into corners that only served to make him more dangerous.

Now, N on the other hand was far more subtle about what he would do. He barely informed a soul when he had plans; he was careful and kept one step ahead of everyone, friend or foe. And it's that which lead to his ability to capture Light. He gave him a false sense of security so rather than becoming defensive, he became lax, and then took him out by surprise.

In comparison to N, perhaps you could say both Light and L are the worse of the lot; their actions spurred each other on and consequently made Light's actions worse. But no, Light became an antagonist with progression, but he wasn't a bad guy. What he wanted wasn't for any old people to die, he didn't aim to kill people for the fun of it, he had a justified cause. But his actions were wrong. L was a mediator; his competitiveness and enthusiasm to eliminate Light caused more chaos that it did amend the situation. But he, too, had good intentions--he wanted to stop the out of control "Kira" who had begun to play God.

I don't think anyone is truly a "bad guy" in this series (besides, you know, the arrested criminals and all), and it's wildly down to interpretation and how you personally view the law and the justice system. I think it displays a theme common even in the world today, but through a far more extreme means. I understand that motivations don't justify the actions, and I am for all intense purposes glad that Light was indeed stopped in the end, but I still don't believe he was a bad person. Nobody was.

NightAl AmV
06-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Without a doubt Yagami Light was pure evil, like many others who have posted I was in sympathy with him in the first episodes, but I was totally disgusted when he killed Ray Penber and his beautiful and trusting fiance Naomi Misora, after this I wanted Light dead, dead, dead!!!

I was in total delight when Near finally nailed him, Yagami Light was one of the most despicable characters in anime history, I rejoiced at his death