PDA

View Full Version : Death Note vs Romeo & Juliet: similarities

Elle Lawliet
08-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Okay, this might just be me, but I've found quite a few similarities between the two, so if YOU can find some, post them here. Also, comment on others :)

Okay, 1st one:
L talks a lot about how he has no friends, and about Light being his only friend. Yet Light is Kira, his nemesis.
'My only love, sprung from my only hate' much??

Pls comment :)

Elle x

Pinkeyy
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
They both die in Death Note and in Romeo & Juliet :lol:

Random88
08-23-2010, 04:06 PM
It's quite odd to compare Romeo & Julliet and Death Note. I'll try anyway.

-Julliet commits suicide so does Misa

That's all I can think of at the moment

Elle Lawliet
08-23-2010, 04:14 PM
They're actually kinda similar :) and those were the main similarities... There are a couple of really small ones that i found, but they're the major ones x

tupac115
08-23-2010, 04:46 PM
This is the first time i would have searched for similiarities between the two.its interesting to say the least:p

Elle Lawliet
08-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Am i the only one who noticed then?? How bizarre XD it's cool though x3 x

tupac115
08-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I wont say you are completely off the mark,i think there are similiaritues to some classical literature in death note.Personally to me,death note had a sherlock holmes feel to me.

Death note has many spin-offs that could be said to have stemmed from it like Artemis Fowl.

Elle Lawliet
08-23-2010, 06:35 PM
I can see those to be honest :) and there aren't MANY R&J similarities, but they are there x

Asamoya
08-24-2010, 02:27 AM
I would've never thought to find similarities between these two. :lol:
Amazing idea though I love it! :x3:

Elle Lawliet
08-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Thank you :D I'm thinking through and I've found another (kind of) similarity. There's the whole, battling against each other for no reason between the 2 forms of justice (or the capulets and montagues) when if they'd just talked things through everything would be better

I think this makes sense... Hmmm... Ah well XD

E x

Pink Bismuth
11-18-2010, 09:55 AM
This is a very interesting comparison. Personally I think Death Note had much closer connections to other stories but I suppose I can see a few ways one could parallel the two. Such as:

The Montague family would stand for L's view of justice and the Capulet family would stand for Kira's view of justice.
* L would be Romeo Montague
* Light would be Juliet Capulet
* Watari would be Montague (Romeo's dad)
* Cheif Yagami would be Friar Lawrence because he's on friendly terms with both Light (Juliet) and L (Romeo) and is the one that brought them together. Or he could be Lord Capulet (Juliet's dad) as he is Lights dad and truly loves his son but doesn't know what his son is thinking and is well respected but can fly into a rage just like Lord Capulet.
* Misa would be Paris (the man promised to Juliet) who acted very possessive and as though he (or she in this case) is already married to Juliet (or Light in this instance).
* Ryuk would be the Apothecary who gave Juliet (in this instance Light) the poison (the Death Note).
* Teru Mikami (the 4th Kira) and Kiyomi Takada (Lights girlfriend/Kira spokesperson) would be Sampson and Gregory who were servants of Capulet (Kira) that provoked Abram a servant of the Montague family into a fight.
* Abram in this instance would be L's successors Matt, Mello, and Near.

Another way to compare the two would be to make:
The Montague family as Kira's view of justice and the Capulet family as Near's view of justice.
* Light would be Romeo.
* Near would be Juliet
* L would be Rosaline (the girl Romeo was orignianlly infatuated with before Juliet came into the picture.) as L died and Near became Light's new interest.
* Mello and Matt would be Sampson and Gregory in this instance and they provoked Takada into a fight (when they kidnapped her)
* Thus Takada would be Abram who is a servant of Montague (Light).
* Ryuk in this instance would be Mercutio (a friend of Romeo (Light) who makes funny comments and doesn't completely understand or agree with Romeo's opinions.)
* And as such I'd day Rem is of Prince Escalus who was a kinsman (or relative) of Mercutio (Ryuk)
* Of course Mello also reminds me of Tybalt (A Capulet, Juliet’s cousin) who is vain, fashionable, and becomes aggressive, violent, and quick to draw his sword when he feels his pride has been injured.

Elle Lawliet
11-21-2010, 06:34 PM
This is a very interesting comparison. Personally I think Death Note had much closer connections to other stories but I suppose I can see a few ways one could parallel the two. Such as:

The Montague family would stand for L's view of justice and the Capulet family would stand for Kira's view of justice.
* L would be Romeo Montague
* Light would be Juliet Capulet
* Watari would be Montague (Romeo's dad)
* Cheif Yagami would be Friar Lawrence because he's on friendly terms with both Light (Juliet) and L (Romeo) and is the one that brought them together. Or he could be Lord Capulet (Juliet's dad) as he is Lights dad and truly loves his son but doesn't know what his son is thinking and is well respected but can fly into a rage just like Lord Capulet.
* Misa would be Paris (the man promised to Juliet) who acted very possessive and as though he (or she in this case) is already married to Juliet (or Light in this instance).
* Ryuk would be the Apothecary who gave Juliet (in this instance Light) the poison (the Death Note).
* Teru Mikami (the 4th Kira) and Kiyomi Takada (Lights girlfriend/Kira spokesperson) would be Sampson and Gregory who were servants of Capulet (Kira) that provoked Abram a servant of the Montague family into a fight.
* Abram in this instance would be L's successors Matt, Mello, and Near.

Another way to compare the two would be to make:
The Montague family as Kira's view of justice and the Capulet family as Near's view of justice.
* Light would be Romeo.
* Near would be Juliet
* L would be Rosaline (the girl Romeo was orignianlly infatuated with before Juliet came into the picture.) as L died and Near became Light's new interest.
* Mello and Matt would be Sampson and Gregory in this instance and they provoked Takada into a fight (when they kidnapped her)
* Thus Takada would be Abram who is a servant of Montague (Light).
* Ryuk in this instance would be Mercutio (a friend of Romeo (Light) who makes funny comments and doesn't completely understand or agree with Romeo's opinions.)
* And as such I'd day Rem is of Prince Escalus who was a kinsman (or relative) of Mercutio (Ryuk)
* Of course Mello also reminds me of Tybalt (A Capulet, Julietís cousin) who is vain, fashionable, and becomes aggressive, violent, and quick to draw his sword when he feels his pride has been injured.

Ahahahahaha!!! Tjis is amazing! I never thought to put them as actual characters!!! That really shows the similarities here ^.^ Thanks :)

E x

Tadashi
12-19-2010, 07:17 PM
didnt notice they have similarities:eek:
maybe bcoz i never read romeo & juliet story :hehee:

Aelit
12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
thinking of Light as juliet is creeping me out a little haha.

But I've never really thought to compair the two...Where would Ray Penber and Naomi Misora come into though?

Pink Bismuth
12-20-2010, 07:08 AM
thinking of Light as juliet is creeping me out a little haha.

But I've never really thought to compair the two...Where would Ray Penber and Naomi Misora come into though?

Hmmm... You know I'm not entirely sure that Ray and Naomi would fit, well unless you made Ray Romeo and Naomi Juliet in that they are both lovers who died young. Also I suppose Naomi like Juliet killed herself (though Juliet killed herself willingly after thinking she'd lost her love where as Naomi was forced too). If I did compare the two it would be like Romeo and Juliet except Romeo actually dies first in this scenario.

Oh but I agree it is rather creepy to think of either L or Light as girls.

didnt notice they have similarities:eek:
maybe bcoz i never read romeo & juliet story :hehee:

You know I don't think they specifically have a lot of similarities so much as most stories have characters or situations that are similarly molded to this pattern. It's pretty easy to create parallels between characters of any story with any other story if you're specifically trying to.

Truthfully I've only ever read Romeo and Juliet twice, both times were for English class and I wasn't very fond of it myself.

Elle Lawliet
12-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Myself, I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan, except for maybe Othello...

KozaKuraHaiNe
12-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Are you comparing the play by William Shakespear or the anime Romeo x Juliet? :O

Elle Lawliet
12-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Teh Shakespeare onee
E x