Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 05-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Citizen

Points: 18,038, Level: 92 Points: 18,038, Level: 92 Points: 18,038, Level: 92
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default 15th G-View: El Cazador de la Bruja

I'm back after a period of absence with yet another awesome show for all to check out. but 1st, a little note. When it comes to the famous "girls with guns" trilogy brought to us by Bee Train, I must confess that I wasn't really that interested by it. Don't get me wrong, both Madlax and Noir are good shows, just not up my alley. The problem is that I just never got into those shows for some reason, even though they have what I seek in an anime....to a degree. However, it would seem that the old saying: "3rd time's a charm" applies truthfully to the 3rd Bee Train series based on this genre, which is the show I'll be reviewing on this day.

Alternative title:
The Hunter of the Witch
The Witch Hunter
エル・カザド (Japanese)
Genres: adventure, drama, mystery, supernatural
Themes: girls with guns

Objectionable content: Significant (bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)

Number of episodes: 26

G-Rating: 9/10

Plot Summary: Ellis, a young girl suspected of murdering prominent physicist Heinrich Schneider, is on the run from prosecution when she is tracked down by a female bounty hunter Nadie in a small Mexican town. However, instead of turning her in, Nadie impulsively decides to help her and the two embark on a journey south where they hope to find clues about Ellis' past. The guiding stars of their journey are the mysterious gemstone "Rosa del Inca" and the "Eternal City" of Wińay Marka.

El Cazador is truly an amazing show. It's made so not by its overarching plot, which is serviceable and adequate, if uninspired. The show offers up its plot progression in steady, even helpings, never too much or too little at a time, and finishes off with a by-the-book final confrontation that is almost relaxing in its absolute predictability. It's all fine and workable, but it is not why - or how - this show will hook you. The excellence of El Cazador comes from its fantastic characters, their superb interactions, and its charmingly casual "on the road" thematic.

Nadie is a gift of a character. Smart, self-confident, world-wise, cheerful, and generous of spirit, she is a warm and wonderful human influence under which Ellis blossoms. Over the course of the show she develops a powerful, knightly desire to protect Ellis - a desire that is often complicated by the fact that in many cases, Ellis' unusual abilities put her in a better position to protect Nadie than the reverse.

Ellis is really something special. It would've been so easy for her to have fallen into a stereotypical personality type, either too "cutesy/naive" or too "emotionless/otherworldly". Instead, she is utterly believable as an innocent but perceptive young woman with an unusual nature and past, one who balances those qualities with an infectiously appealing quirkiness. She is adorable in an absolutely genuine way - a far cry from the legions of moe characters who are trying far too hard to convince you that they're lovable.

And so they travel, helping and caring for each other, making new friends and new enemies, and having many adventures along the way. The plot is the reason for the journey, but it is the journey that is the best part of El Cazador, not the destination. I'll admit that during the finale, I was wishing I was back in the simpler, more carefree times of the early episodes. It is there that the "on the road together" vibe is the strongest, and the small, humorous moments of Nadie and Ellis' interaction are at their most bantering and self-referentially humorous.

That's not to say though, that those early episodes are also the best point in their relationship, because it's a fact that their bond grows ever stronger and deeper as the series progresses. As to how it ends....well, I'll leave it up to the viewers themselves to come to a conclusion.

The other characters on the show, you'll like some and dislike others. Each character has a unique charm that although may seem familiar, is still enough to make everyone on the show worth checking out.

This show basically has this pace: starts off fun and gets intense as the series progresses, meaning that it at least serves the purpose of gaining the viewer's attention. For those who like "Girls With Guns", don't worry, it's there, just not as dark and depressing as the other two Bee Train titles or the Gunslinger Girl series. It kicks major booty and I love it.

In the end, I definitely recommend this show to everyone as it contains enough of everything for any animeniac, regardless of how picky you may be.

P.S.: I guarantee that by the end of this show, you'll love tacos even more. This show most definitely inspired the greatness of Yuki's Taco Power in Saki. I can feel it.

Last edited by Overlord-G; 08-01-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 74,211, Level: 100 Points: 74,211, Level: 100 Points: 74,211, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 15th G-View: El Cazador de la Bruja

I asked Masamune to make a review of this one but he has not seen it yet. I was thinking of watching this but i have the same complex as you when it comes to show like Noir and this one had a similiar feel to it when i read about it months back.

It seems by your review that this is good,nope i have no worries about jumping it.
Thanks for the review.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 05-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Citizen

Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted

This show is like the kinder and friendlier of the 3 Bee Train sisters which is both fun and serious at the same time. This show will definitely be a less disturbing watch than Noir and Madlax.
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted

I started this yesterday... but I'm already interested in the characters.

I'll let you know what I think by the end of it - though it may take me a while.
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Citizen

Of course, since it's 26 episodes. Take your time dood.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted

Finally finished.

I like it quite a bit, it's definitely a nice change of pace from all the schoolgirl animes

I kind of wish Ricardo and Nadia got together
I also found the pacing of the show a bit slow at times, but the major characters are loveable - my personal fave is Nadie.

I think that the 25th episode was a perfect ending... the episode after that is more like a weird bonus.

Last edited by Materia User; 08-02-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Citizen

SCREW Ricardo and Nadie! Nadie belongs to Ellis and ONLY Ellis. Foolish mortals who dare deny that are blind as bats!

It's Nadie MU, Spanish for nobody.