Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 01-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Citizen

Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default 88th G-View: Kannazuki no Miko

Hello and welcome to G-Views, where SoL reigns supreme, moe is respected and Dokuro-chan sucks poopie. Well, I've been wanting to review this show for a long time and I think that the time has finally come. Ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, one of the most legendary yuri anime in history, Kannazuki no Miko.

Genres: action, drama, magic, psychological, romance, supernatural
Themes: mecha, yuri
Objectionable content: Significant (bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)
Number of episodes: 13
G-Rating: 6/10 as an action mech anime, 10/10 for ChiMeko.

Plot Summary: The highborn Himemiya Chikane is cool and aloof, the perfect young lady of good breeding. Kurusegawa Himeko is devoted to her, and secretly her friend. Their lives are undisturbed in their school, until an ancient evil suddenly rears its head. To combat it, Chikane and Himeko must take on the roles of shrine maidens of the Moon and Sun.

Let me get this out of the way first. As far as an action anime with mechs go, this one just plain sucks. The villains are generic and uninteresting, the mechs themselves aren't memorable and completely out of place in an anime like this and the action scenes are too short. You could have pretty much just had the heroes and villains fight each other without mechs. Would have made the action portion less ridiculous and slightly more tolerable.

Now as for ChiMeko...
It could not be more amazing, enthralling, fulfilling. The whole series is about the relationship of Chikane and Himeko (who is unaware of Chikane's true feelings for most of the series), and how Chikane, foreseeing the awful fate that awaits either her or Himeko, will do anything and everything necessary to save her beloved's life, no matter how painful it is or how much she must sacrifice. This series will tie your emotions in knots, but it will all be worth it in the end (just be sure to watch until the VERY end).
This couple has been the source of yuri discussions in the nation of a years. You would not believe how big this show's thread is, how much has been discussed about this couple, the action portion's crappiness and the decisions made by both Chikane and Himeko throughout the show.
Believe me when I say that both girls go through the series. Joy, glee, excitement, fear, pain, sorrow, doubt, confusion, rage. You name it, they've experienced it.
Like I said about the threads, the discussions on the decisions made by both ladies is quite large. Some feel sympathy while others feel that a different path could have been taken in order to reach the climactic finale. Oh the finale...wow...just...wow. It remains one of the most romantic moments in anime I've ever seen. A cheesy setup, but it's the dialogue spoken that touched my heart. Sure, others may disagree. To each their own, right? the point is that ChiMeko is the main reason to watch this show. this show pretty much defined the phrase "What I would endure for yuri".

The music: Once again, classical + Yuri. Also, the addtion of KOTOKO's songs increases the coolness of this show's soundtrack.

The animation: Hit and miss. It's hard to explain but sometimes it does exceedingly well and other times it doesn't impress. It's all about timing with this one.

Characters: The villains of the show are the 7 members of the Orochi. Yes, it is associated with the evil 7 headed dragon. Each of the seven Orochi fit easily into archetypes, consisting of a sociopathic criminal, an unintelligent brute, a former Japanese idol, an anti-social mangaka, a catgirl, a seemingly betrayed friend, and a disillusioned nun. They are extremely discordant with each other and do not coordinate attacks on the miko until the middle of the series. that's all you need to know about the villains. Sure the 1st head and the 7th have a history together but other than that, the other heads don't do anything special in order to get your attention, except maybe the 2nd head.

Souma Oogami: the male lead who is best known for 1 thing: his manly screaming of Himeko's name from the top of his lungs. This guy really does yell himeko's name out loud when she's in trouble. I do admit that aside from that, he's not so bad as a male lead. In fact, some fans sympathize with him for all that he's gone through. I don't blame them. Even though I'm a ChiMeko fan for life, HimeGami wasn't that bad while it lasted.

Aside from this guy, there are two other characters worthy of being mentioned because they're awesome.

Otoha Kisaragi: Chikane's personal maid, Otoha is loyal and devoted to Chikane. When Himeko comes to live with Chikane, Otoha immediately notices the bond between the pair and grows intensely jealous, angered at Himeko for taking Chikane away from her and hurting her mistress. Aside from playing a humorous role and some very weighty scenes of her own in the series, she is a support character who clarifies how Chikane reserved her feelings for Himeko alone.

Makoto Saotome: Himeko's friend and roommate, "Mako-chan" is an athletic girl, one of the best runners on the Ototachibana track team. Sure her role is small compared to other characters on the show, but her appearance definitely left an impression on the viewers.

The other characters serve their purpose and no more.

BTW, this is another show where I don't mind the English Dub at all. It's good in my opinion. Nothing spectacular but good nevertheless.

In conclusion: For those interested in witnessing a majestic showmanship of an intriguing yuri relationship, watch this show, provided you can stomach the bad mech action in between. Trust me, if you can, you'll be richly rewarded for your endurance.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Citizen: Magic Clan.
Expert Mage

Points: 10,733, Level: 71 Points: 10,733, Level: 71 Points: 10,733, Level: 71
Random88 has shown loyalty and contrubutedRandom88 has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Default Re: 88th G-View: Kannazuki no Miko

I've watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of this. It's quite good. The mech battles aren't that exciting though. I really like the ending theme. I'll need to finish this one.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

fullblue has shown loyalty and contrubutedfullblue has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to fullblue

How old is this series?
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Expert Mage

Random88 has shown loyalty and contrubutedRandom88 has shown loyalty and contrubuted

It first came out in October 2004. So it's just over 6 years old.
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Citizen

Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted

That's why I called it a classic. It's really old, yet unforgettable. Also, it gets much better by episode 7 Random One. That's where the real game begins.
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Expert Mage

I'll probably finish watching it at the weekend. The episodes I watched were the english dub. No complaints about the dub. So I'll continue watching it that way.
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Citizen

Go for it dood. It would have been more fun if you were able to find Multi-language versions. Oh well, go for it and I'll await your final verdict after finishing it. I look forward to your thoughts on ChiMeko as a whole.
Unread 01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+

it looks alright, but i dont think i will add this to my list. thanks for the review though

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 01-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Citizen

I understand. After all, this is not recommendable for action fans but for yuri fans since that's what the show's about. Not robots and orochi, but about the dark destiny of two women who have been in love with each other for years.
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Magic Clan
OC Guild
Resting Senior Section Leader Mod
Master Mage

Points: 51,380, Level: 100 Points: 51,380, Level: 100 Points: 51,380, Level: 100
Asamoya Has shown honour and chivalryAsamoya Has shown honour and chivalryAsamoya Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via AIM to Asamoya

Is it just me or are there more yuri reviews lately?
I've honestly only have seen Umineko parodies of the opening and ending and that about all I know about this series.
Not to sure if I'll try it out or not.