Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 01-19-2011, 05:17 AM
Citizen

Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default 87th G-View: Yami to Bōshi to Hon no Tabibito

Hello and welcome to G-Views, where SoL reigns supreme, moe is respected and Dokuro-chan sucks poopie. We continue with my trip down the yurirific memory lane with yet a bizarre, yet certainly influential show in the yuri nation. This is Yamibou!

Alternative title:
Darkness, Hat and Book Traveler
Yami, the Hat and the Travelers of Books
Yamibou
Genres: adventure, fantasy, mystery, romance, supernatural
Themes: yuri
Objectionable content: Significant (bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)
Number of episodes: 13
G-Rating: 7/10

Plot Summary: Eve is one of the caretakers of the Great Library, a repository containing all of the worlds in the universe within books. Each episode of "Yamibou" details another one of Eve's lives among the many worlds and follows the adventures of Hatsuki, Lilith, Gargantua and others in search of the girl whom they've known by different names.

As far as the pacing of the show goes, expect extreme randomness as Hatsuki is thrown into one random world after another in her quest to find her beloved Hatsumi. Heck, even the origin of Hatsuki's ability to travel between worlds and her special powers are never explained. In fact, there are A LOT od things that aren't explained or don't make sense. Even the main villains of the show make little sense...until the end at least. If you try to understand some of the characters, you'll merely confuse yourself later on. Some do make sense, others not so much. Basically the show's pacing and concept aren't its strong points. No, the real reason to watch this show is because of Hatsuki and Hatsumi's relationship and how it develops over the course of the series. It's all about a girl (Hatsuki) who admires her step sister (Hatsumi) so much that she begins to develop romantic feelings for her. Of course Hatsuki has doubts and worries about how, when and if she should confess her feelings. However, aside from her own inner doubts and confusion, another mysterious event causes Hatsumi to disappear in a green light and some Chocobo reject appears and explains what happened to Hatsumi. So begins Hatsuki's quest to find her sister. Her determination and dedication to finding Hatsumi is so powerful that no obstacle can stand in her way. she's so determined that most scenes involving Hatsuki in combat are less than a minute long. She's THAT DETERMINED! Eventually there's an episode telling Hatsumi's side of the relationship before she disappeared. Later on Hatsuki finally finds Hatsumi and that's when things get really intense.

Oh, and there's ecchi in it as well. Heck, even Hatsuki herself is quite the hottie even though her body isn't as curvy and busty as the other girls on the show. Don't worry though, the ecchi isn't that important as their bodies are just for show and not often used for closeups or bounciness.
Actually, I just remembered why exactly the plot is so mixed up. It's because this anime's universe is like a library. In the center of the universe, there is a gigantic library with millions of books. Each book contains a different world and that's exactly why the pacing is so mixed up, because there are so many different worlds to explore that this show covered only a few of them. The pacing is still confusing though, but it has its reasons.

The music: Kind of forgettable, EXCEPT for the emotional parts between Hatsumi and Hatsuki. Those tunes will never leave my mind. Pay attention to those parts that focuses on them.

Animation: A mixture of magic and ecchi. So yeah, it all depends on how well you accept how the ladies look. The environments are actually pretty cool because of how diverse they are. After all, the main base is a library. Expect many different locations such as a jungle, space, on a train, a mansion between dimensions and many more different locales. now, even though I said the show is random, I never said that it was random in a bad way. It's just that a lot of stuff happens and you need to pay attention as to which are important to the main characters (aside from the two sisters) and which ones aren't that important.

In conclusion: If you can handle the weird pace and random stuff going on with a plot that makes little sense, then by all means give this one a go. Hatsuki's journey is more than enough to attract any romance fan's attention. Believe me.

P.S.: As for the ending...let's just say that controversy is FAR from being a proper word to describe the impact it had.

Last edited by Overlord-G; 02-03-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Unread 01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+
Default Re: 87th G-View: Yami to Bōshi to Hon no Tabibito

i might give it a watch just because of the neat cover art style lol
thanks for the review and i hope the ending isnt as disappointing as the Soul Eater Anime ending Xb

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 01-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Citizen

Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted

I haven't seen Soul Eater yet but trust me, for "my" nation, it was one of the biggest low blows that year.
Unread 01-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+

ill have to see for myself, but i recommend watching soul eater regardless of the bad ending

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 01-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Citizen

Same here. This show is another one of those "it's the journey, not the destination" types of features. I've heard many good things about Soul Eater so I'll give it a go someday.