Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 12-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Citizen

Points: 18,038, Level: 92 Points: 18,038, Level: 92 Points: 18,038, Level: 92
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default 75th G-View: Ore no Imouto

Hello and welcome to G-Views, where SoL reigns supreme, moe is respected and Dokuro-chan sucks poopie. What is the ultimate definition of female in an otaku's mind? I dunno, but I get the feeling that it's a female who enjoys videogames, anime, manga and wrestling. Basically a female version of themselves. Now what would you do if you encountered a female otaku who is also a child prodigy of sorts? Well, hop aboard the G-Express as we take a look at the next review, Ore no Imouto.

DAMN, Kirino looks so badass in this posture. Would you happen to believe that the main reason I gave this show a try is not the hype or the heated discussions, but this picture?

Alternative title:
Oreimo
My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Genres: comedy
Themes: imouto, otaku, secrets, siblings
Number of episodes: 12+4 upcoming OVAs.
G-Rating: 9/10

Plot Summary:
For several years, Kyousuke's relationship with his younger sister Kirino has been cold, to the point that they only share greetings. But one day, Kyousuke finds a moe anime DVD fallen in their entry hall. His interest piqued, he looks for the owner, only to realize it belongs to Kirino. He's shocked, but more surprises lie just ahead...
Living on the shadow of his prodigious younger sister, Kyousuke Kosaka conducts a normal lifestyle until he accidentally finds out that she hides a secret. In addition to being smart, pretty, and popular; Kirino Kosaka is also an obsessive consumer of anime and eroge (adult computer games). Assured that Kyousuke is committed to not mock her and keep this concealed from their parents, she starts to share a bit of her world with him. Kirino faces several problems as she tries to keep the appearances and balance her exemplar school life with her hobbies. Her brother then becomes a crucial ally while dealing with all the difficulties that lie ahead.

Now then, this show is currently this season's most discussed show and rightfully so. It tackles so many interesting topics, such as an otaku in hiding, the viewpoint of different people inside and outside the otaku circle involving the practice of an otaku and its lifestyle and how each person views it, an up and coming animeniac's desire to publish her own light novel and anime, the anime industry, romance, etc.

Animation: Cosplay, fashion, casual, corporate attire, classic Japanese. this show thrives in showing many different styles for each of its characters, from the generic, to the flamboyant and the goth, there won't be a shortage of clothing in this one. As for the rest of the animation, it's colorful, yet not too moe for haters. Actually it's not that moe, just...yeah.
No CGI here (it doesn't need it)

If there's a gripe that I have with this show, it's the inconsistent pacing. One minute it focuses with Kirino's hobby and how she works hard in order to become more comfortable and no longer having to hide it. (With the help of her brother and friends of course. It continues with the inevitable showdown with her father and best friend, who each have a negative outlook on the otaku lifestyle. Once that's taken care of, we shift to Kyosuke's possible romantic connections, or at least possible contenders. then out of nowehre, it suddenly places that plot on hold and goes into another direction involving Kirino's desire to make a light novel and later an anime, where she takes on the big boys in the anime industry. Then we suddenly go back to Kirino's hobbies again. Trust me, it's more mixed up than how I describe it, but on the bright side, each of the inconsistent arcs are resolved in excellent and sometimes enlightening manners. This show has plenty to offer, let me tell you.

Oh, for those of you who are worried about this being another cliche harem anime, don't be. The romance's importance to the plot can be considered 5% as far as I'm concerned. So yeah, it's not important at all and doesn't contribute much to the main story. thankfully it's overshadowed by many of the other more important events that occur on the show. As far as I'm concerned, not EVERY SINGLE FORM OF MEDIA HAS TO HAVE ROMANCE IN IT FOR IT TO BE ENTERTAINING!

Music: One thing I've noticed is that the show has many OP and ED sequences. I'm not so sure, but I think it has multiple ED songs as well. Sometimes

Oreimo the anime is simply this: Putting aside the other interesting plots that were included, the MAIN plot isn't about Kyosuke's love life, it's not about incest, it's not about the wonderful supporting-cast (Even Ayase, despite her refusal to accept otakus and her misfortune of frequently being exposed to the dark side of otakus), it's about a family relationship (brother and sister) that had been bad for over a decade and it took the revelation of Kirino's otaku nature and her worries of being accepted in a current anti-otaku society that slowly restored the bond between the two. There were also factors later on that played a role in this strengthening. Sure she had a hard time expressing her appreciation for everything that her brother did for her until near the end, but she's a "Type-A tsundere" character, what else could you expect? In any case, whatever the alternate ending has in store for us, I'm not particularly looking forward to it because the default ending pretty much settled the main issue and that's all that matters. It's not the most epic ending ever, but it was good enough.

Personal note: Be sure to cheer your hearts out for the uber awesome, adorable Kuroneko and the lovely Saori.

In conclusion, this anime has been the main topic in the otaku nation for a while now and it rightfully deserves to be. It has so much going for it that it'll entertain every anime fan looking for something Wiggy to watch.

Lastly, I would like to give a shout out and special thanks to Yi Hsieh for helping me out with some helpful information and discussions on the show. Check out her website "www.listlessink.wordpress.com" for some cool anime information, Sono Hanabira details, downloads, reviews and other neat tidbits here and there. She's a very intelligent individual who knows her anime and real life facts quite well. check the site out.

P.S.: For those who think the show's title is named after Kirino...YOU'RE WRONG! The TRUE sister who can't be this cute is "Mini-Neko", Kuroneko's younger sister, whom you'll meet in the 2nd half of the series.

P.P.S: for those of you who refused to give this show a try due to a belief of incestuous content, DON'T BE! watch this show, because prematurely judging it is a grave injustice. It's not like Yosugo no Sora and Aki Sora, where the incest is apparent in all its loathsome glory. So yeah, put those fears behind you and watch Ore no Imouto.

P.P.P.S: I haven't read the manga or light novels, but I've heard that plots in each differ from one another. So for those who have or are currently reading them, no spoilers please since we're currently unsure of their validity.

Last edited by Overlord-G; 02-03-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Unread 12-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Citizen

Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Default Re: 75th G-View: Ore no Imouto

Keep in mind that this review is for the main series. I have no plans to review the OVAs, since they'll only be made to please the perverse seeking crowd. Even if they won't, I won't review them.
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Citizen: Magic Clan.
Resting Mod
Expert Mage

Points: 37,626, Level: 100 Points: 37,626, Level: 100 Points: 37,626, Level: 100
~Shana~ has shown loyalty and contrubuted~Shana~ has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to ~Shana~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shana~

This anime was actually pretty good for 12 episodes. At first I didn't really like this anime but then I started liking it more and more until one day I walked into my favorite Japanese and heard the opening playing, I starting screaming and freaking out out of happiness. I kinda feel like I can relate to the main character (Since I have an older brother who I'm pretty mean to haha ironicly he was watching this anime too and even more ironicly the opening song name is Irony) It's a really cute anime, animation was great, music was amazing, Kuroneko was adorable. I'm not expecting it but I hope there is a second season.
Unread 12-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shana~ View Post
This anime was actually pretty good for 12 episodes. At first I didn't really like this anime but then I started liking it more and more until one day I walked into my favorite Japanese and heard the opening playing, I starting screaming and freaking out out of happiness. I kinda feel like I can relate to the main character (Since I have an older brother who I'm pretty mean to haha ironicly he was watching this anime too and even more ironicly the opening song name is Irony) It's a really cute anime, animation was great, music was amazing, Kuroneko was adorable. I'm not expecting it but I hope there is a second season.
Glad to hear you liked the show. Ah, a similar real life experience eh? Cool.

For now, the upcoming 4 alternate path OVAs are the only things you can look forward to in terms of "new content".
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Citizen: Magic Clan.
Resting Mod
Expert Mage

Points: 37,626, Level: 100 Points: 37,626, Level: 100 Points: 37,626, Level: 100
~Shana~ has shown loyalty and contrubuted~Shana~ has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to ~Shana~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shana~

The Ova's will be interesting. Everyone says though that this is an incest anime but I can't agree to that. I really don't see anything wrong in the anime.
Unread 12-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Citizen

Maybe they're all talking about the manga and light novels, but as far as the anime is concerned, it's NOT incest AT ALL! If theey pay VERY close attention, they'll see that there's absolutely NO incest outside of the eroge games that Kirino likes. So yeah, those who were skeptical because of those false accusations are missing out on something very special.
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted

I've watched about half of this so far.
I liked it... this girl made it to a top tsundere list but I don't even really see those qualities in her.
To me, she acts... like how any sister I imagine would act.