Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 08-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Citizen

Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default 41st G-View: Monkey Typhoon

Hello and welcome to G-Views, where SoL reigns supreme, moe is respected and Dokuro-chan sucks poopie. This is one of those shows that just popped out of nowhere during a midnight anime viewing on Cartoon Network LA. I'm serious, it premiered right after the latest episode of Ranma 1/2 around 1:30 AM. No commercials, no announcements in new shows, nothing. It just popped up randomly. How did such an obscure show do in my eyes? Well, let's find out in my review of Monkey Typhoon.

Alternative title:
Asobotto Senki Goku
Association Robot Goku
Bandidos del tiempo (Spanish)
Monkey Typhoon
Genres: action, adventure, fantasy
Contains ecchiness.
Number of episodes: 52
G-Rating: 7/10

Plot Summary: 1000 years in the future, both humans and Asubots were in a bleak of destruction because of a strange phenomenon called the Destruction virus. But a prophecy in the past could save the earth. Goku, a powerfull 1st generation Asubot and Sanzo, a youth from 1000 years met along with their friends to fullfil the prophecy and save the earth from the destruction virus and from Professor D before he destroys the earth.

Characters

Goku

The main character. He is a 1st generation asobot. His mission is to find the 49 Keys of the Apocalypse. (actually he wants to find the treasure where the key is located). He is accompanied with Suzie, Sanzo, Tongo, Joe and later with Miyon and Shiyon. Goku looks mostly human, but he has a face that resembles a monkey, and he gets angry when they call him monkey. He has a robot horse called Skywalker and a magic metal weapon he calls a 'joystick' which lengthens or contracts to his will. Sanzo put a curse on him that will make him weak to all women and children.

Sanzo

The one who forced Goku on the quest, he said he can only remove the curse when they arrive to the last city. He woke up after 1000 years of cold sleep, to stop the world's destruction by collecting the 49 keys. He has a magical harmonica that affects asobots, but not the ones who where infected by the Destruction Virus. He sometimes uses it to heal asobots or power up Goku's attacks. Like Goku, he collected 6 keys, which later on, changed the appearance of his harmonica and can heal asobots even with the virus. His full name is Sanzo Genjō and his hometown is Tokyo. He serves as a big brother to Suzie.

Suzie

Suzie lost her dad in an attack of some infected Asobots did to her city. When she was young, her father was telling her the legend, which leads her to join Goku and his friends to witness it. Although she doesn't have any abilities, she has a flying vehicle that resembles a hovering-scooter.

Joe

A worker asobot, but his mouth is never seen because he has it covered ninja style. He needs lots of water to survive or he could die. Goku himself said he is invincible when battling underwater. His weapon is called 'Feather Sword'. Later, like Goku, he collected 6 keys which can change his appearance and which can also change his weapon into 'Feather Blade'. He never takes off the mask covering his face so his facial appearance will always remain a mystery.

Tongo

A nurse asobot who looks like a fat cat that likes to eat. His weapon is called 'Chain Hammer'. Later, like Goku and Jo, he collected 6 keys, which can change his appearance and his weapon, making it the 'Megaton Hammer'.

Miyon

An asobot who looks almost like a human. She's both an enemy and ally until she eventually joins Goku's team. She has a little sister named Shiyon and a pet named Saati that can transform itself into a hoverboard which she uses to travel. Most of her attacks are candy based (bubblegum bomb, choco men, etc.). Later in the series, she gets a magical umbrella that she can be used to fly, used as a shield, or used to hypnotize somebody (she did this to escape Goku once but never used it again).

Shiyon

Miyon's little sister. Like Miyon, she is an asobot and one of Professor D.'s quartet. During her time as part of the quartet she used a Sitar played like a cello. She joined Goku so she can spy them in their journey. However, she eventually turns into a good guy after being freed from Professor D's Mind Control and the Destruction Virus.

For the most part, each can be summed up as a search for the 59 Keys that will open the gates of the lost city of Jipang. The keys are hidden in ruins or in the possession of someone in different forms. In almost every town, there has to be a pretty lady for Goku to get turned on by, leading to him getting punched and sent blasting off Team Rocket Style. HOWEVER, there are 2 occasions where Goku actually gets lucky. I'm glad he gets some form of joy from a woman a few times and NOT be a complete loser in that dept. What I like about the show is the fights that take place. some of them are pretty cool, especially against the major villains. As mentioned in the character introductions, it takes about 6 keys in order for each of the Asobots to evolve. Their evolutions are pretty neat as it makes them look more badass, especially Goku. Or in the ladies' case, hotter, especially Miyon.
Other than that, the main plot of the story itself is a combination of Collecting all the special items and save the world from an evil Scientist.

The music has a Steampunk feel to it, mixed with some decent fight and comedy music. This show IS an action/comedy after all. If you like Steam Punk, you won't have any trouble here.

The Animation is...colorful shall we say, even if the story takes place in a desert for the most part, with some oases, ruins and towns along the way.
Although the species are called Asobots, they don't look like robots at all. Oh well, it's for the best.

There isn't much I can say about the characters because of how straightforward they are. There are no plot twists or huge shockers in this show. The story is as linear as a Save the World Story can be. It's not a bad thing, just don't expect any big surprises.

In Conclusion, I say give this one a shot....if you can find it that is. It's an enjoyable watch with enough laughs and decent fight scenes that you won't regret watching it. However, like I mentioned earlier, don't expect any major surprises that will blow you away. Personally, although I did enjoy watching the show, it doesn't contain anything memorable. Oh, but don't let that stop you from giving it a go should you find it on TV or any other form of viewable media.

Last edited by Overlord-G; 02-01-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+
Default Re: 41st G-View: Monkey Typhoon

ive been wondering what this anime was called lol
thanks for the review

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 08-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Citizen

Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default Re: 41st G-View: Monkey Typhoon

Give it a shot if you can find it. Do pay close attention to the Princess' tournament episodes and the Mini tournament episodes.