Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Scientific Discussion

Unread 12-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Site Creator

Points: 386,791, Level: 100 Points: 386,791, Level: 100 Points: 386,791, Level: 100
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
Ascended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud of
Default Our galxay is due to collide with another Galaxy

Our galaxy 'The milky way ' is due to collide with another Galaxy called Andromeda!

What do you think about this generally ?

What do you think will happen, any of the below ideas or something else?

What do you think will happen to humanity and/or any other life?

According to astronomers, in the not-too-distant future 3.5 billion years from now, the Milky Way and its sister spiral galaxy, Andromeda, will collide and merger together to form a new large elliptical galaxy or a massive spiral galaxy.

At present the Milky Way and Andromeda approach each other at the same rate that a smaller galaxy, the Large Magellenic Cloud, recedes from the Milky Way. So, any life in the Milky Way and Andromeda face an uncertain future.
The possibilities are as follows:
Some planets will be thrown out of orbit from their stars (sun) and become dark cold traveling planets with no sun.
Some planets will be destroyed due to their closeness to the newly formed giant elliptical galaxy’s hot and crowded centre.
Some planets will be decimated by violent polar jets when the two galaxies' central super massive black holes merge.
Some stars and planets will move out to a more gently habitable distance near the merged galaxy's central dust-lane perimeter (if a dust lane develops).

Note : Scientists say that in a large elliptical galaxy, you could read a newspaper at night by the starlight.

Last edited by Ascended Vegeta; 12-08-2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: make it nice :)
Unread 12-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Banned

LoopyPanda is infamous around these partsLoopyPanda is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Our galxay the ilkey Way is to be

The black hole merging (assuming both black holes are directly centered, but the placement of black holes seem to very) will probably change the distribution of gravitational waves/radiation throughout the galaxy.

The orbits of the stars (maybe planets, maybe not) will probably be altered noticeably (also variant)

Though since the Milky Way hasn't ever merged with something its near-same size like Andromeda, it's probably going to be mainly speculation about what events will happen, since minor merges and major merges are pretty different in how the results go. Especially so since we have pretty much the velocity and path as of now figured out, but it's not certain those velocities will change or not significantly in the near future.

The dark matter in these galaxies will probably just merge into a shape outlining the merging of them, but I'm not too sure on how dark matter would work (I have yet to read up on it for Physics class).

Doesn't seem as frightening as the Sun dying or anything more apocalyptic like that though, lol.
Unread 12-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Site Creator

Points: 386,791, Level: 100 Points: 386,791, Level: 100 Points: 386,791, Level: 100
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
Ascended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud of
Default Re: Our galxay the ilkey Way is to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyPanda View Post
The dark matter in these galaxies will probably just merge into a shape outlining the merging of them, but I'm not too sure on how dark matter would work (I have yet to read up on it for Physics class).

Doesn't seem as frightening as the Sun dying or anything more apocalyptic like that though, lol.
Didn't think about dark matter .

yes its not a threat for a long while yet :llol:

Please hit my Youtube FSN video link -> Link

RPG charater links - Dark Elf Lord - Fairy Lord

Talking /Thinking

Unread 12-08-2014, 12:21 AM
Banned

LoopyPanda is infamous around these partsLoopyPanda is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Our galxay is due to collide with another Galaxy

It's not much to worry about considering we'll all be replaced by another population by then! Probably an entirely different civilization than the one we have now that can figure out if Earth will be thrown outta whack.

Even though it'll effect star orbits, I wonder what magnitude of effect it'll have on planets themselves?
Unread 12-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Banned

Okami Amaterasu has a little shamelful behaviour in the past

I'm not that scared really. It'll occur so many years away from now I'll be dead And oh well. Nobody lives forever and I'm not surprised I've heard this a billion times before and even the first time I wasn't scared.
Unread 12-08-2014, 03:47 AM
Banned

~ Z ~ Has shown honour and chivalry~ Z ~ Has shown honour and chivalry

Well, thankfully we won't be here (Assuming Earth won't be here either.) to see or feel this event. Unless we find a way to be immortal but I doubt it. Assuming Earth or even the human species is alive at this point, I hope that the human race has found a solution to be safe or has found another planet to stay in. Aside from that, I think this event is actually pretty cool, some new stars can be born and maybe even some new life.

'Course we won't be alive to see that.
Unread 12-08-2014, 03:48 AM
Banned

Okami Amaterasu has a little shamelful behaviour in the past

New life. Too bad we'd never see it I've always been a fan of new things (and aliens ) I hope to see an alien someday yet it would be bad too if they were taking over us
Unread 12-08-2014, 03:54 AM
Banned

ShineCero has a little shamelful behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to ShineCero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyPanda View Post
It's not much to worry about considering we'll all be replaced by another population by then! Probably an entirely different civilization than the one we have now that can figure out if Earth will be thrown outta whack.

Even though it'll effect star orbits, I wonder what magnitude of effect it'll have on planets themselves?
Actually, because of the distance between the stars, there won't probably be any major collisions. In other words, the Sun will still be there and any potential life form still existing can sit back and enjoy the light show.
Unread 12-08-2014, 03:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Z ~ View Post
Well, thankfully we won't be here (Assuming Earth won't be here either.) to see or feel this event. Unless we find a way to be immortal but I doubt it. Assuming Earth or even the human species is alive at this point, I hope that the human race has found a solution to be safe or has found another planet to stay in. Aside from that, I think this event is actually pretty cool, some new stars can be born and maybe even some new life.

'Course we won't be alive to see that.
The human race will likely have found a habitable planet similar to Earth (we've only gotten a few hints and glimmers of hope). That is, if the bees and sun/moon aren't dead before this galaxial merging. Otherwise, earth would have less than 5 years to survive without bee pollination. This is also if ecological destruction hasn't left the earth inhabitable.

But that civilization likely will have found or seen planets convert to habitable states that resembled Earth's baby stages. Maybe we'll have formed some ties to intergalactic species by then?

It's nothing compared to our current worries of meteors/asteroids colliding to earth at just the right keyhole space to decimate more than half the global population. Since it takes time to predict, find, and track the asteroid's exact velocity and pathway. But once they figure it out, they can simply find ways to redirect the meteor or break it into combustible fragments which Jupiter (? or another planet) will crush for us. Or it burns in our atmosphere to cause minimal damage.

@Shine noice. I'll check that article out soon.
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Grey Star will become famous soon enough

Something tells me that as time goes on humanity will begin to either make planetary collision taboo or a death cult or death cult in pop culture. Possibilities include suicides, murder sprees, pop music, video games, books, movies, forum discussions, TV interviews all based, caused, about, or involving this.
I could easily see triple AAA video games with this as the main premise, people running around in shirts either warning of this or mocking it, internet meme photos, more sci fi stuff involving this subject.
Or, this could become taboo. Media outlets being censored about it, families shushing each other for discussing it. Media about it being boycotted or even burned. Sweep it all under the rug.

Last edited by Grey Star; 12-23-2014 at 10:06 PM.