Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Philosophical Discussion

Unread 11-20-2010, 01:11 AM

Points: 2,686, Level: 33 Points: 2,686, Level: 33 Points: 2,686, Level: 33
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
MalisaRoseBronze is on a distinguished road
Cool Artificial Intelligence

I am not sure if this has been made before but... What are you're views on artificial intelligence?

Do you think it is possible for them to think?
Or not?
Or do you think of something far beyond that?

My view, on a simple basis is that no. They cannot think. At least not now.

Take a turing machine, a simple input output machine such as a laptop. It may be able to process the information you give it, and output a response but it doesn't understand the process.
It is all just PRE-PROGRAMMED information that we have given it and so it isn't conscious.

But that is just my view, in a simple form. XD
How about you guys?
Unread 11-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl
Default Re: Artificial Intelligence

I dont know... but if its possible I think AI could *only* run differently than human brains because computes work differently.
Unread 11-20-2010, 03:47 PM

That's a very good point actually.
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Citizen
BloggerOC Guild 2
Resting Mod
Master Mage

Points: 22,271, Level: 100 Points: 22,271, Level: 100 Points: 22,271, Level: 100
KozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to KozaKuraHaiNe Send a message via Skype™ to KozaKuraHaiNe

How funny. I once saw this flier in my school, it had a picture of an angry looking calculator saying "I think, therefore you don't." I actually agree with your views, they are programmed to do those things. If you require an explanation, they are programmed to explain it to you, without understanding it themselves.
Unread 11-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KozaKuraHaiNe View Post
How funny. I once saw this flier in my school, it had a picture of an angry looking calculator saying "I think, therefore you don't." I actually agree with your views, they are programmed to do those things. If you require an explanation, they are programmed to explain it to you, without understanding it themselves.
I'd love to see that flyer XD
Unread 11-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Citizen

Points: 4,816, Level: 47 Points: 4,816, Level: 47 Points: 4,816, Level: 47
SaiyanArmy will become famous soon enough

Arguments that state programming an artificial brain strips a robot of the ability of free thought has to then acknowledge that humans also do not share that freedom. In the future, it should be possible to create a computer as complicated or more complicated than the human brain. This brain would have certain limitations based on its perceptions; it would have the ability to absorb, inter-compare and analyze information; it would be reactionary, its thoughts would come in response to stimuli provided by its environment; it should be able to formulate moral decisions using the information it has learned. I don't think there is a difference between what I have described and the human brain. Consciousness isn't as hard to replicate as I think some of you are making out to be.

That deals with thinking, emotions add an additional layer of complexity. Feelings are based on chemicals released within our bodies. You would need to find a way to simulate that or place this artificial brain in its own biological body.
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 74,211, Level: 100 Points: 74,211, Level: 100 Points: 74,211, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

Define what is "thinking" in the first place.

The computer you are using has various functions that allow it to sort of a way "think" for themself.Well in the machine world,they call in "Fuzzy Logic".You just need to to put clothes in a washing machine nowadays and it will wash,wring and dry it for you automatically.

As you say its pre-programmed information of course.The thing is,it does not need to understand what its doing.It gets the job done in the end.How many of us really understand why we do some things anyways?On that matter how many of us understand ourselves 100%?I dont.i dont really know why i have a habit of twirling my pencil when i write.

What i am trying to say in a nutshell is that as of right now.We already have a thinking robot.Google NOMAD thinking robot.You be suprised.
As for a robot with emotions and a consciousness.Now thats something to look forward to.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 11-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Senior Mod Exp
Knight

Points: 14,529, Level: 83 Points: 14,529, Level: 83 Points: 14,529, Level: 83
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
Elementalkatana has a spectacular aura about themElementalkatana has a spectacular aura about themElementalkatana has a spectacular aura about themElementalkatana has a spectacular aura about them

The anime Chobits by CLAMP, the movie Metropolis by Osamu Tezuka and Ghots In The Shell by Masamune Shirow are some works that explore this scenario of artificial intelligence. The Japanese love themes of this genre.

Returning to the question. The machines, in my view, are extremely intelligents, but at the same time it's donkeys. Because they only know how to execute what they're programmed to do. The machines (computers) can think of a way to logically complex and perform multiple tasks in a short time, but they can not think of a sentimental way and learn from their mistakes.
Conclusion, for me the machines have intelligence but this intelligence is limited.
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementalkatana View Post
The anime Chobits by CLAMP, the movie Metropolis by Osamu Tezuka and Ghots In The Shell by Masamune Shirow are some works that explore this scenario of artificial intelligence. The Japanese love themes of this genre.
Its because theyre historically anmists who believe everything has a soul Elementalkatana

Last edited by animegirl; 11-29-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Unread 11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Site Creator

Points: 384,426, Level: 100 Points: 384,426, Level: 100 Points: 384,426, Level: 100
Activity: 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
Ascended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalisaRoseBronze View Post
I am not sure if this has been made before but... What are you're views on artificial intelligence?

Do you think it is possible for them to think?
Or not?
Or do you think of something far beyond that?

My view, on a simple basis is that no. They cannot think. At least not now.

Take a turing machine, a simple input output machine such as a laptop. It may be able to process the information you give it, and output a response but it doesn't understand the process.
It is all just PRE-PROGRAMMED information that we have given it and so it isn't conscious.

But that is just my view, in a simple form. XD
How about you guys?
Pc and liner computers no. They only know what their programmed with, even if sometimes it 'looks' like inteligents.

However nural net computers which work more like a brain making patterns, are about as inteligent as an insect currently.
They have the ability to learn.

Quantum computers, which are on the horison and even small ones have been made, are different again.
They have the ability for their processing parts to go beyond binary and infact dimentions, alowing them to be at different locations at the same time.
This kind of power and complexity would easaly exceed human potential one day.

Please hit my Youtube FSN video link -> Link

RPG charater links - Dark Elf Lord - Fairy Lord

Talking /Thinking

Tags
artificial intelligence, computer, computer thinks?