Go Back   Anime Forum > General Discussion Forums > Games, & Media Discussions. > Computers, & tech forum.

Unread 02-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Veteran member

Points: 71,421, Level: 100 Points: 71,421, Level: 100 Points: 71,421, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Tadashi has a spectacular aura about themTadashi has a spectacular aura about themTadashi has a spectacular aura about themTadashi has a spectacular aura about them
Default Curved Screens

Last year we started seeing so many devices with curved screen especially TVs, countless TVs with curved screens. I find curved screens really amazing, but not anywhere. They do not make sense it TVs honestly.
The idea justifying curved TVs or PC monitors is as follows. Flat screens have their edges further away from your eyes than the center, given that you are sitting in the center in front of the screen. However, since TVs are watched by several individuals at the same time, a curved TV would give slightly better experience to the one sitting in the center, and worse for others sitting around that person. I find myself sitting on the couch or ground, or laying on the couch. I could sit in different places in the living room, a curved TV would force me to be at the center. Also you have to sit at a set distance for optimal experience. Your location with respect to the curved screen is fixed, not flexible, exatly at he center of the circle the curved TV is part of . Look at these Images to get the idea.

Because the distance between an individual and a TV is relatively long, the curve in the screen won't help that much. The difference in distance between the edge of the screen and the eye between a curved and a flat TV is very small compared to the total distance between the curved screen(or the edge of the screen, but it's all the same given eyes are in the right position). The relative error a flat TV shows on its edges is very small, and gets even smaller the closer you get to the center.
A curved TV is a piece of junk, a totally worthless device since it's sold for more and you get less in return. Unless you watch alone, at the optimal distance, then you pay too much for a negligible enhancement.

But that makes perfect sense when it comes to a computer monitor, especially the extra wide ones which have been coming out lately with an aspect ratio of 21:9. People sit closer to their computer monitors, and almost always alone. The difference in distance from your eyes to the edge of the screen between a curved and a flat monitor is more noticeable compared to the distance between the curved screen and your eyes. Normal screens with 16:9 aspect ratio are probably not getting any use of curved screen, but the extra wide 21:9 monitors are they ones where a curved screen makes a difference. Your are alone, your are close, your monitor edges are far away from you.

The only phones with a curved screen is the LG G Flex and LG G Flex 2. The whole screen is curved not only the edge like the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. I find the curve in a phone pointless, you hold it so close that makes the perfect curve have a relativity small radius, so small to a point where the phone would end up being too curvy to be practical, a slight curve is better than a flat screen of course. How well that goes with having it in your pocket or being held, I can't really say.

I'm only covering concave screens for watching purposes. Feel free to say your opinion on them or other uses for curved screens like in the Galaxy Note Edge or some smart watches.

Hunter x Hunter
Unread 05-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Banned

LoopyPanda is infamous around these partsLoopyPanda is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Curved Screens

The flex phone is so impractical. Unless you're the type of person that bends their phones from sitting on them.

I don't really see the appeal to getting one, it just seems too cumbersome to be innovative.
Unread 10-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
Royal Subject

Points: 1,891, Level: 26 Points: 1,891, Level: 26 Points: 1,891, Level: 26
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
KD7BWB has shown loyalty and contrubutedKD7BWB has shown loyalty and contrubuted

No longer available

Last edited by KD7BWB; 03-30-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Unread 06-22-2017, 06:22 PM
Citizen

Points: 1,477, Level: 22 Points: 1,477, Level: 22 Points: 1,477, Level: 22
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
TrevorPhillips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Curved Screens

I am currently using a Samsung galaxy 8 with the "infinity screen and I have to say it just feels... more natural to use this phone. Normal phones with flat screens just cut off the edge and make you wrap back around to the other side.
This thing here warps the sides making it seem like the edges fade instead of cut off. Idk how else to describe it it just seems easier on the eyes