Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Extended Discussion Forum

Extended Discussion Forum Extended Discussion and debate

Unread 05-20-2012, 08:17 AM

Points: 2,395, Level: 31 Points: 2,395, Level: 31 Points: 2,395, Level: 31
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Sparkbomber is on a distinguished road
Question Thinking about what to pass on.

I was replying to a message posted by Saber when I started thinking about how my education was when I was a kid. In hindsight, it was pretty random with the flop-tacular educational reforms in the late 80's and the 90's.

We had to endure quite a few things back then and many of those things may have contributed to people not being enticed for Beta-studies and technical jobs amongst other things.

This in turn set me to thinking about the future, not mine as such, but of those that are currently being schooled... Wether you are a parent, an uncle/aunt, grandparent/-uncle/-aunt, teacher, coach, guardian or whatever there will be a time in your life when you will be of influence on some child(ren)'s future. On what they will learn and what other things they will experience. So it is a good idea to think on what you will pass on to them.

That's where this topic comes into play. I would like to ask all of you who read this to share your opinions on the subject as I shall momentarily.

Do you want (your) kids to learn a specific language? Or maybe how to build things with wood? Or to hack into any computer?
Do you want to keep tabs on what their schools offer? What the educational quality and diversity are? How they handle skipping out on school?
Do you prefer their school to embrace the scientific theorems or religious doctrines?

Please share it here.

Now, I happen to be an uncle of two kids of +/-2,5 and 8,5 years old. Given that one's only just in pre-school and the other's in the equivalent of gradeschool(?) they're just starting with their education. But I, and their parents as well, think it's important to give them a very broad education. So we let them hear a wide variety of music (classic like Mahler or Bach, modern classic like Jazz or Old blue eyes, more modern like Queen or Nirvana, unusual like Susumu Hirasawa or Videogame music).

I try to feed them bits of odd info and some foreign languages (like telling them about Napoleon Bonaparte or teaching them to say "I'll be back" or what hana means in Japanese). In addition to the music of course.

All in all it's my hope that they'll both grow up to be happy, responsible, wacky adults with a (slightly at the least) better life than mine.
As they'll get older I think it'll be a good idea to give more warnings about pitfalls. Such as blind loyalty to political parties, religious dogma's, criminal enterprises and many more.
My niece and little nephew are both smart kids, yet even so I mainly worry about detrimental outside influences...

But enough from me for now, on to you.
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Blogger
Super donator
Guardian Dragon
ADMIN
Representatives Leader

Points: 121,244, Level: 100 Points: 121,244, Level: 100 Points: 121,244, Level: 100
Dragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Dragonlady Send a message via MSN to Dragonlady Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonlady Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonlady
Default Re: Thinking about what to pass on.

Do you want (your) kids to learn a specific language? Or maybe how to build things with wood? Or to hack into any computer?
Since my kids are grown now, I would have loved for the to learn another language other than English. And I would have loved it if they would have graduated and gone on to college. But the school system in Putnam County wasn't up to par with other schools. In fact, they really never focused on bettering children's level of education. They just wanted to get them in and out of their classes without having to try to teach them too much of anything. I don't know if they have changed their approach to teaching (most likely not) since Shaun and Andrew's days at school. I would have loved for them to have been encouraged more to find something that they would love to do with their lives. But I don't think I would have liked it if the schools would have taught them how to hack into any computers.

Do you want to keep tabs on what their schools offer? What the educational quality and diversity are? How they handle skipping out on school?
I tried to keep tabs on what the schools had to offer, but really all that they did have was the basics. No real training courses. It was the same way when I was in school there. And believe me, I was at the schools constantly and conversing with their teachers.

Do you prefer their school to embrace the scientific theorems or religious doctrines?
I would prefer neither. I would prefer the schools to not only teach them the basics, but to instill and encourage them to think outside of the box and to explore all possibilities and options. I want them to excite the students with knowledge. I want them to teach them that they can be anything they want to be if they just try their best and always look forward and never look back.
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Banned

fullblue has shown loyalty and contrubutedfullblue has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to fullblue

I have a few niece and nephew too since my mom come from a big family. I try not to intervene since I'm still green, being in early 20 myself. But if I have kids, this is what come to my mind.

Certainly I would like them to be able to speak at least 3 language. I, myself speaks 5 languages (if you counts Hokkien, the most widely spoken Chinese dialect in ASEAN). They don't have to speak that many languages which I personally find insane. They have to be at least able to speak 1 of the language(s) that reflects their identity, the language of the country they live in and one foreign language that will be helpful later. I often ask myself, in this age, who would be able to find a job without a university degree? Of course it is a necessity at the same time I want them to be creative. Perhaps a little bit of skills in carpentry or IT won't be that bad. Hacking a school computer is not a crime.

As far as I know nothing much changed recently We are still haunted with crazy amount of content that leaves little for creativity and self discovery. It is making the process of learning dreadful and excelling exams the sole objective of learning. There seems to be increase and decrease in number of subjects, depending on the availability of teaching staff and number of interested students. So much I wish that they will change the system to promote freedom of learning.

While I loathe religious doctrines, science can sometimes be dogmatic too, just like how scientist did not accept the existence of atoms (which drove Boltzmann to suicide) till Einstein proved it or like how Copenhagen school stalled the development of Physics in latter half of 20th century. What I believe children (and even us) should have is a curious mind that never stop to question, be it established facts or unsupported claims.
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

Drago will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Drago

I have a niece and a nephew, but I'm letting my brother raise them without my input. He should do fine.
I'd like them to learn German or Arab. Something that isn't being learned by every other American student, but still usable in our world.

Other than keeping my child safe and maybe a gifted program, not so much in elementary school. Middle school is kind of the same, though some foreign language classes might be nice. High school is another matter entirely. I'd definitely want to check out what the school offers and the programs in it. I could handle them skipping.

Neither. I'd prefer to leave that to the students to decide. While I prefer scientific theorems, trying to force any type of belief on any person is wrong, regardless of whether or not you believe it to be the "right one."
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:53 PM

Points: 2,395, Level: 31 Points: 2,395, Level: 31 Points: 2,395, Level: 31
Sparkbomber is on a distinguished road

*Nods* Excellent answers everyone, but one small note: Thinking outside of the box applies here too... Those questions are merely guidelines, if you've got something that hasn't to do with those, but does with passing things on you can share it here too.

On that note, one of the things I want to pass on to them is my love of (giant) robot anime. Be they Transformers, Mecha or otherwise, robots are awesome. So every other week I bring along a small transformable and let them play with it. (under supervision of course)

They both love that already.

Tags
education, future, kids, legacy, testament