Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Philosophical Discussion

Unread 03-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Senior Mod Exp
Knight

Points: 14,529, Level: 83 Points: 14,529, Level: 83 Points: 14,529, Level: 83
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
Elementalkatana has a spectacular aura about themElementalkatana has a spectacular aura about themElementalkatana has a spectacular aura about themElementalkatana has a spectacular aura about them
Default Freedom of Expression

I was doing nothing when I started thinking the difference between boys and girls within a modern society. I was thinking about things like why boys are represented by blue and pink for girls. The boys must be toughest and girls honeyed emotional.
Another thing that relates these thoughts is the freedom that each gender has to express what they really feel and think within a society.

The girls can say without fear things as " That girl is really pretty" or say to her friend " Oh! your hair looks great” . Now, I never heard a boy say to his friend as “ you are elegant “ or anything like that it without being interpreted in a hasty manner by others.

This led me to conclude that society controls us. So we are not free in some situations, or at least while living in society.

And what do you think? - Have we , partly, freedom of expression or have not we?

" God's in his heaven. All's right with the world " - Nerv Slogan
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Hatchling Dragon

Points: 6,701, Level: 56 Points: 6,701, Level: 56 Points: 6,701, Level: 56
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Yume no Hero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Yume no Hero Send a message via MSN to Yume no Hero Send a message via Yahoo to Yume no Hero Send a message via Skype™ to Yume no Hero
Default Re: Freedom of Expression

This is just my opinion, mind you..so no rock throwing, please.

Boys and girls haven't really changed over the decades. However, if it's one thing that I've observed over my 25 years of living, girls do change with the times. As you notice, there are plenty that girls can do now just as good as boys, and perhaps even better than boys. To that extent, we haven't changed as much. Even though for some reason, we tend to assume and underestimate girls because of the lack of physical strength or appearance. On my end, I don't think that this generation should be concerned with society wants or expects of you. My mother was a tomboy herself so thus lies my respect for females. You can be pretty, or rebellious, but as long as you stick with your beliefs, and not allowed to be changed by society's needs or wants. Say you what you feel, and believe what you know to be true, and by all means, stay true to yourself.

Each to their fate, Live and Learn...
Unread 03-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Citizen
BloggerOC Guild 2
Resting Mod
Master Mage

Points: 22,271, Level: 100 Points: 22,271, Level: 100 Points: 22,271, Level: 100
KozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalryKozaKuraHaiNe Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to KozaKuraHaiNe Send a message via Skype™ to KozaKuraHaiNe

Hmm.. We actually do, but we are reluctant to do so due to discrimination and prejudice. We are given the freedom of speech and expression, but we hold back, we tend to think of what others would think, or what we're about to say will imply. And as for the boys represented by blue and girls represented by pink, I think it's because it has been this way for quite a while now, and everybody has gotten used to it.
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 74,211, Level: 100 Points: 74,211, Level: 100 Points: 74,211, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

In actuality,you can pretty much say anything you want in any regard if you dont mind reprisal from society in general.Freedom of speech or expression is limited to how well you can take reprisal.If you dont really care what others think then go wild.

Look at Lady Gaga.Half of the world thinks she is queer and thinks she is an alien.
Click here to see full text

There are enough jokes everywhere like the one i posted.But to her,its her way of expression.

Any guy can say to another guy that "hey you are good looking" but also be prepared to hear them say "Are you a homosexual?" in response.

Going back to the base question...yes we have freedom of expression and yes society does effect it.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 03-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KozaKuraHaiNe View Post
And as for the boys represented by blue and girls represented by pink, I think it's because it has been this way for quite a while now, and everybody has gotten used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementalkatana View Post
I was thinking about things like why boys are represented by blue and pink for girls.
I live here in England where it actually used to be the other way around in the past until the 20th century, but I dont know why it changed here. But the fact it could change so completely that people dont imagine a time when it was the other way around, just shows how powerful social norms can actually be

Last edited by animegirl; 03-30-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Unread 08-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Banned

LoopyPanda is infamous around these partsLoopyPanda is infamous around these parts

We do have some freedom of expression, yet, for some reason, it's constantly taken by others. Due to superficial society, i.e. snobs and rich kids think you are dirt poor just because you got your favorite t-shirt from Wal-Mart. (they do have cool tees you don't really find anywhere else, like this cute cuppycake tee with cute little cupcakes with faces.) Which isn't usually the case. And it's twisted how a girl can compliment her friend like, "You look pretty today," and not be asked about their sexual orientation, but if a boy says to his friend, "You look nice today," they are instantly bombarded with questions of their sexuality. Honestly, society really should be completely destroyed and recreated, but it would just be ruined again by racism, hate, anger, judging by appearance or by simple kind gestures that should be returned with a "Thank you," or, "You look good too," not "...You aren't gay, are you? I'm straight," or some other ludicrous statement. In the 1800s, people took compliments as simple daily conversation, but now, people frown upon those compliments from the same sex, as if it were vulgar or obscene. It really is unfair. I mean how would THEY like it if someone called them gay or lesbian. It is utterly ridiculous. In fact nearly everyone (including me) has a dirty mind and says, "that's what she said," or "That doesn't sound right." It disgusts me that there is no order in being civilized or having a friendly conversation without it being perverted somehow. It seems impossible to have a normal conversation like in the 1800s, where they could only talk about the news, or compliment each other as they didn't have as much vulgarities as now.
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Wyrm Dragon

Points: 8,426, Level: 63 Points: 8,426, Level: 63 Points: 8,426, Level: 63
Merixcil will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Merixcil Send a message via Skype™ to Merixcil

Of course we don't have freedom of expression, we have laws restricting what we can and can't say. Racism, sexism,ageism are all technically against the law to express in many countries. If you're asking me, restriction of this level is a good thing, I don't believe people should be able to express that kind of thing, though they may think it to their heart's content.
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Banned

Indiveren has shown loyalty and contrubutedIndiveren has shown loyalty and contrubuted

it all depends on your suroundings if you have a envirment where you are encouraged to be yourself and have no one jugeing you then yes but not many live that way so in a way no we dont becuase there is always someone who is going to juge you and not everyone is going to agree with you and if you want to make it so that no one is aganst you you have to conform to them thus creating pritty much no freedom
Unread 12-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

Itsuki Predator is on a distinguished road

well we boys just do things different girls and boys are different that is in genes and influence eevary day life wit out we eaven realice it
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Banned

LoopyPanda is infamous around these partsLoopyPanda is infamous around these parts

There aren't many places where kids don't make hasty assumtions when people comment on something.

Tags
boys, expression, freedom, girls