Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Philosophical Discussion

Unread 10-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Points: 3,271, Level: 37 Points: 3,271, Level: 37 Points: 3,271, Level: 37
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
SBYRD5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SBYRD5
Post Open Palm vs. Closed Fist

The Way of the Open Palm and the Way of the Closed Fist. These paths bear a close resemblance to the "Light Path" and "Dark Path" described in the BioWare title Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic; however, a minor character states "I believe there can be intrigue behind the Way of the Open Palm, and honour behind the Way of the Closed Fist." Thus one who follows the Way of the Open Palm is not necessarily good, and one who follows the Way of the Closed Fist is not necessarily evil.

According to the "Way of the Open Palm," the key to maintaining the universe is by being in harmony with nature, one's surroundings, and one's station in life. As an effect of being in nature with one's surroundings, one is expected to actively assist in lessening the chaos in the area, through the assistance of lessening burdens. While this seems "Peaceful", the Way of the Open Palm is strict in another form: one should not act outside their station and purpose in life.

According to the "Way of the Closed Fist," on the other hand, the purpose of life is to follow the ways of serving oneself — to face one's challenges head on, challenge one's station in life, and work to become self-reliant. The emphasis of the Way of the Closed Fist is combat, turmoil, and constantly challenging oneself, which is why many of those who are evil tend to be considered to follow the Way of the Closed Fist, in that they bring about chaos in the universe

Context plays a large part in the interpretation of these philosophies. For example, an evil follower of the Open Palm path could enable the suffering of others in order to achieve greater order, and a good follower of the Closed Fist path could encourage self-reliance in others, thus making them happier. For instance, if a follower of the Open Palm came upon a peasant being attacked by a gang of bandits, he would help because it is the right thing to do. Conversely, if a follower of the Closed Fist encountered this situation, he would reason that the peasant must survive on their own merit, or die. However, the Closed Fist student might also help the peasant if he felt that the peasant was too far out of his league for such a battle to be a valid test of his strength. For example, if a common thug came upon this situation he may not help the peasant due to concern for his own safety, but then later claim he was merely following the way of the Closed Fist. In this way, the Closed Fist tends to be misconstrued as evil.

So in summary which are you?

Last edited by SBYRD5; 10-01-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Banned

Indiveren has shown loyalty and contrubutedIndiveren has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Default Re: Open Palm vs. Closed Fist

(im surprised usualy every post has at least a reply within a day or two so i guess ill help you out)
im a bit of bolth im the closed fist becuase i work alone i always do everything i make sure i am doing my best and basicly i suport myself but im also the open palm i will follow along with the crowd when i need to i will be part of the crowd and work together so i guess i have the best of bolth since going to a extreem one way or another gets you to the point of being a bad thing dont matter what it is
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:45 AM
Citizen

Points: 3,244, Level: 37 Points: 3,244, Level: 37 Points: 3,244, Level: 37
divinedisrespect is on a distinguished road

monks are in secluded in groups therby closed fist has grown more prominent in its greater affectiveness over all, this being a dual pronged meaning of course
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Citizen

Points: 5,496, Level: 50 Points: 5,496, Level: 50 Points: 5,496, Level: 50
SaiyanArmy will become famous soon enough

Concepts of "good" and "evil" are subjective, not universal. An individual may consider themself to be "good" even when someone else labels them as "evil."

To address the general outlooks of "Open Palm" and "Closed Fist," I would say I favor "Closed Fist" but would point out that they are not mutually exclusive. Dualistic philosophies are outmoded these days. I am a selfish individual and in serving myself, I "actively assist in lessening the chaos in the area, through the assistance of lessening burdens" because I recognize these actions benefit me.
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Citizen

Points: 3,244, Level: 37 Points: 3,244, Level: 37 Points: 3,244, Level: 37
divinedisrespect is on a distinguished road

you make me feel bad for putting such a bad ill thought out response, i shall rectify

i am inclined to say that everyone uses both open hand and closed fist for differnt things depending on personal need, for ex if you have been eating potatoes for the last 6 months you would be more inclined to have an open hand with them rather than keeping your rediculus stock pile of potatoes yourself
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Citizen
Resting Mod

Points: 7,701, Level: 61 Points: 7,701, Level: 61 Points: 7,701, Level: 61
Halibel is on a distinguished road

As you stated here at the beginning, one can be both.open palm in (martial arts) is peaceful or defensive.The path of calm and light also to achieve enlightenment for ones self. Closed fist is the path offensive , fight to do battle to raise ones status in life by any means .Both of these can be used for good or evil both have benefits to ones self and others. A good person would be in harmony with life using both as need arises.
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Banned

LoopyPanda is infamous around these partsLoopyPanda is infamous around these parts

I'm more open palm than closed fist. I often try to ease the stress or tension in my surroundings. I guess I'm in tune with nature, seeing as it relaxes me being in it's presence. And I try to keep focus on my station in life (even though it is not yet certain).
Unread 10-08-2015, 05:24 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
Royal Subject

Points: 2,500, Level: 32 Points: 2,500, Level: 32 Points: 2,500, Level: 32
KD7BWB has shown loyalty and contrubutedKD7BWB has shown loyalty and contrubuted

No longer available

Last edited by KD7BWB; 03-30-2017 at 12:27 AM.