Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Theological Discussion

Unread 08-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Citizen
Resting Senior Section Leader Mod

Points: 28,904, Level: 100 Points: 28,904, Level: 100 Points: 28,904, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
wevenger has shown loyalty and contrubutedwevenger has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via Yahoo to wevenger
Default Catholic Church’s Contraception policy

Should the Roman Catholic Church change its current position of forbidding the use of contraception?

Discuss !

for me, ..There is no obligation on the Church to involve itself in earthly politics implied by doctrine. Indeed the Church spoke out against Cardinal Sin when they considered him to have gone too far into partisan politics. This point is a symptom of a larger issue that often regional Churches feel obliged to follow their faith. Rome changing its position on contraception would be seen as illegitimate by the regional Churches that are currently most vocal in their opposition to condoms. The break from Rome under Henry VIII and current Anglican controversies over gay and female bishops highlights the fragile and often decentralised nature of the Christian Church. To backtrack on matters of doctrine risks similar schisms within the Roman Catholic Church which would inevitably lead to more radical regional Churches further involving themselves in partisan politics. They may even return to a position of denial that condoms even protect against HIV/AIDS - a position which Rome and scientific pressure was instrumental in pulling them away from but which could easily have resulted in divisions.

Last edited by wevenger; 08-19-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Citizen

Points: 7,585, Level: 61 Points: 7,585, Level: 61 Points: 7,585, Level: 61
Shinji is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Catholic Church’s Contraception policy

nah they shouldnt, its part of their religion and if we told them to change it, they'd only get angry about it.
Besides countries like Italy and spain who are roman catholic have the lowest birthrates... there using contraception anyway, its clear to conclude that most roman catholics are using contraception these days ... sort of
Unread 08-29-2009, 04:34 AM
Citizen
Resting Senior Section Leader Mod

Points: 28,904, Level: 100 Points: 28,904, Level: 100 Points: 28,904, Level: 100
wevenger has shown loyalty and contrubutedwevenger has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via Yahoo to wevenger

The catholic church is not a democracy, its purpose is to provide spiritual guidance to its flock who will inevitably stray. Whilst political parties often have transparent leadership elections with one member one vote, a 'one catholic one vote' (OCOV) system for electing the Pope os inconceivable. Instead the conclave decides in great secrecy, in a guarded anonymous-but-consensus system. So too should the church take a strong stance on what it considers to be matters of faith. It would be bizarre to appeal to other religions such as Judaism Whose teaching the church rejects, or even to Protestantism given that catholics'issues with the protestant faith run far deeper than just contraception (justification by faith alone, the sacrements, priestly status, to name but a few). Further , even if it were desirable to repeal the prohibition, to do so on a doctrine which has been exposed to so much scrutiny and has been reaffirmed by the church as infalliable would undermine Rome's monopoly power over setting doctrinal positions. It would result in more Catholics questioning the articles of faith they find difficult to accept and destroy the validity of the doctrine of Papal infallibility. One of the central themes of religion is a struggle to accept one's faith and the church would be showing weakness by giving into popular pressure in this struggle.
Unread 08-29-2009, 11:26 AM
OC Guild 1
Sir. Cadian the considerate
Resting Mod
Knight Champion
AF Coder

Points: 21,885, Level: 100 Points: 21,885, Level: 100 Points: 21,885, Level: 100
Cadian134 has a spectacular aura about themCadian134 has a spectacular aura about themCadian134 has a spectacular aura about themCadian134 has a spectacular aura about themCadian134 has a spectacular aura about them

No, because as devote catholics, the people only have intercourse with the person they truely love anyway and there is no risk to the children that are born into the family as catholic religion are based around good strong family bonds there by the kids can have a good life. The catholic people are forbidden basically from having intercourse before the get married. Devote catholics that is. Normal catholics probably do use contraception, the rules these days in the church are pretty slack. Not like in history were you would be imprisoned or even killed if you went against the church's ways.
Unread 09-05-2009, 03:11 PM

Points: 3,429, Level: 38 Points: 3,429, Level: 38 Points: 3,429, Level: 38
TsumiNaBara is on a distinguished road

The Catholics have their point...but others have theirs too.
It is good to control the population but the use of contraception has its countereffects too--especially on women. I would like to think the Church are more concerned on these effects than what they are trying to show.
One, we are humans, not animals who must always follow our instincts to go and ...you know...I understand that we are social and emotional beings but we also are intellectual. If you are mature then you must know that you must exercise abstinence on these things.
Also remember that everything that is not natural is harmful for all of us. I am on the church's side on this, I'm afraid. Since it is already proven that there is no harm in this...
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Citizen: Dragon Clan.
Hatchling Dragon

Points: 4,820, Level: 47 Points: 4,820, Level: 47 Points: 4,820, Level: 47
AlbehMoma is on a distinguished road

No thats why its roman..the Vatican states it so its to be served throughout the religion....

Unread 12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

I dont believe they should....actually its better that they dont.Its not easy to change something that is one of their religion rules.
Well its not really an issue because real devout Catholics would not use them and they only sleep with people they love.Whereas the less "devout" ones do use contraception so no point in stirring an honests nest.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 12-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

fullblue has shown loyalty and contrubutedfullblue has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to fullblue

When I first heard of the news, my reaction was "What the hell the pope is doing? Did he realise what he is talking about?" Seriously, at first I thought the title of the article was a joke.

I believe that at that time the pope do not know what he was doing. Without condom, AIDS will spread more easily (not only AIDS but also a lot other STDs) . Which idiot desire that to happen?
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

This i think belongs in the religious sections so i be moving it there.

Back on topic, in all seriousness,how many people does actually follow this contraception rule?
I know Roman catholics views on Sex only for the purpose of procreation and i respect that but to me its a little backdated to me,back then maybe STDs or Aids is not a big problem as it is now?They should reconsider it but i still dont think its too big of a problem in the first place.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 01-13-2010, 09:50 PM

Points: 5,230, Level: 49 Points: 5,230, Level: 49 Points: 5,230, Level: 49
Harrison N. Kore will become famous soon enough

The whole point that I'd like to point out is just that it really doesn't matter what the Catholic Church should or should not believe, because their policies no longer have any impact into actual political policy that people would have to follow under the Law. Europe already suffered enough from that before the Protestant Revolution, and it's frankly a good thing in my opinion. While the policies of the Church may impact the decisions of some lawmakers, the blame can now merely be directed towards the politician, because the Church has been reduced to no more than a lobby at this point, and whether their believes are followed in the legislative bodies or not is at the discretion of the legislators, not the Pope.

I mean, the Catholic Church still has the cute little Forbidden Books thing they made during the Council of Trent, and one of the books on there is Harry Potter. Does anyone at this point care about their policies anymore? Well, as an optimist, hopefully people can start developing their own opinions and morality onwards.

Tags
catholic, contraception, policy, wevenger