Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 02-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Citizen

Points: 1,693, Level: 24 Points: 1,693, Level: 24 Points: 1,693, Level: 24
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
Script Weaver is on a distinguished road
Default An Analysis of Angel's Egg

So if you guys have seen my previous thread, you knew this post was coming soon. I've finally uploaded my Analysis of Mamoru Oshii's Angel's Egg. This is the same Mamoru Oshii who directed Ghost in the Shell.

It took me a while to put this together, so I do hope you all enjoy it.

Unread 02-14-2017, 04:06 PM

swordswoman
Blogger
Super donator
OC Guild 4
RPG'er
KING

Points: 209,582, Level: 100 Points: 209,582, Level: 100 Points: 209,582, Level: 100
Activity: 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
Saber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Saber
Default Re: An Analysis of Angel's Egg

Well done. This was very interesting.I found it made me want to see the anime.

Unread 02-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Citizen

Then I've done my job well. I love introducing people to obscure or cult anime. Glad I got you interested.
Unread 02-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Citizen

Points: 1,754, Level: 25 Points: 1,754, Level: 25 Points: 1,754, Level: 25
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Neoghoster Akira has shown loyalty and contrubutedNeoghoster Akira has shown loyalty and contrubuted

I liked when you said you searched for the OST to produce the analisys. Before the movie "The Hobbit 2" was released they published the movie soundtrack with the name of the songs and some people used it to predict what would happen on it much before the trailers.

Indeed, there are tons of elements in it. As a side note, as I received recently a letter from a girl from Serbia who is studying to become a professor of languages in university she informed me she would be coming to Brazil to meet me (perhaps because of Carnival, I had to turn the invitation down because of money) there is a version of sacred texts that states that eastern Europe would be once the place where Nehilim angels came down and met human women around that area and the heavy european architecture of the city plus the meeting of the guy and the girl to produce the bible tragedy is now a very strong imagery in my mind. The guy represents power that affects the girl like the angels who marrie the women in the old testament. It would be great to study language and symbol connexions too.

I hope you show us the next episode of your reviews!

Last edited by Neoghoster Akira; 02-14-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Unread 02-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Citizen

It's funny that you mention the nephilim. One of the many talking points I had written down for future possible videos details about the nephilim.

If this particular video does well enough in terms of views and subs, I might greatly consider making a small series of Angel's Egg related videos in the near future. (Probably not nearly as long as this one of course)

In the end, it'll mainly depend on the response I get. I enjoy getting feedback from my viewers.
Unread 02-15-2017, 03:19 AM
Citizen

Points: 1,754, Level: 25 Points: 1,754, Level: 25 Points: 1,754, Level: 25
Neoghoster Akira has shown loyalty and contrubutedNeoghoster Akira has shown loyalty and contrubuted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Script Weaver View Post
It's funny that you mention the nephilim. One of the many talking points I had written down for future possible videos details about the nephilim.

If this particular video does well enough in terms of views and subs, I might greatly consider making a small series of Angel's Egg related videos in the near future. (Probably not nearly as long as this one of course)

In the end, it'll mainly depend on the response I get. I enjoy getting feedback from my viewers.
Yeah, I am sure there is a link in that discussion. Since Yoshitaka Amano was responsible for the design of a vampire story which was Vampire Hunter D I read once that one of the versions of the Nephilim story is at the origin of Count Drácula and Bram Stoker vampire legends.

Maybe we could say that Bram Stoker's vampire was first a man who could not stand his situation and who turned his back against God and became a pessimistic demon (Drácula would be the third generation, Lilith/Naamah offspring would be second and Lucifer would be the first. Oshii looks like he knew that Yoshitaka could protray age-less, dark and mysterious people and wrote a story about rebellion.

Oshii, then, talks with his art staff to make it happen.

Truth be said both charachters had a pale and tired look on their eyes and faces. The girl looks like a farm lady about to be kidnapped during the night as in those vampire tales when the monster attacks a village. But then again God too comes in the midde of the night to collect souls.

The girl lives her life naively and after she suffers her greatest horror in a life of fear she dies quite soon.
Unread 02-25-2017, 03:58 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
Royal Subject

Points: 1,891, Level: 26 Points: 1,891, Level: 26 Points: 1,891, Level: 26
KD7BWB has shown loyalty and contrubutedKD7BWB has shown loyalty and contrubuted

No longer available

Last edited by KD7BWB; 03-30-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Unread 02-25-2017, 09:14 AM
Super donator
Fighter
Citizen Representative

Points: 25,841, Level: 100 Points: 25,841, Level: 100 Points: 25,841, Level: 100
NightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalryNightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalryNightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalry

Thank you!

This is the most comprehensive and enlightening reviews of one of the most enchanting anime movies I have ever seen. I first watched Angels Egg a couple of years ago and was immediately spellbound, although, until watching your amazing review I never saw the religious connection. I see it now and it has given a semblance of meaning for me for this classic film. As a fallen christian I now empathize with Mamoru Oshii's vision. Your review has opened my eyes and whilst I have watched it many times I will forever see Angels Egg in a new light.

I hope you don't mind but as an addendum to your excellent review I would like to share this AMV with you Script Weaver. Even though I made it shortly after watching the movie and long before I read your review, I think it captures the spirit of your observations:

"I could see that the world was crumbling ... nothing is ever as it seems"

Cheers and thanks again

Last edited by NightAl AmV; 02-25-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Unread 05-08-2017, 02:44 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAl AmV View Post
Thank you!

This is the most comprehensive and enlightening reviews of one of the most enchanting anime movies I have ever seen. I first watched Angels Egg a couple of years ago and was immediately spellbound, although, until watching your amazing review I never saw the religious connection. I see it now and it has given a semblance of meaning for me for this classic film. As a fallen christian I now empathize with Mamoru Oshii's vision. Your review has opened my eyes and whilst I have watched it many times I will forever see Angels Egg in a new light.

I hope you don't mind but as an addendum to your excellent review I would like to share this AMV with you Script Weaver. Even though I made it shortly after watching the movie and long before I read your review, I think it captures the spirit of your observations:

"I could see that the world was crumbling ... nothing is ever as it seems"

Cheers and thanks again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstAZdI_IQ8
I'm really late in responding to this, but thank you very much for the compliments. I worked a long time on this project, so the word of praise is very encouraging. Out of all the comments I've received, yours seems the most heart felt.

Tags
analysis, angels egg, ghost in the shell, mamoru oshii, youtube