Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Philosophical Discussion

Unread 12-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Citizen

Points: 5,496, Level: 50 Points: 5,496, Level: 50 Points: 5,496, Level: 50
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
SaiyanArmy will become famous soon enough
Default Who Am I?

It can be difficult even knowing how to address this question. If you are having troubles, you may consider a Personality Typing test. Briggs - Myers and Jung do a pretty good job when it comes to compiling personality types. They break down individuals in four dichotomies: Introversion/Extroversion, Sensing/Intution, Thinking/Feeling, Judgement/Perceiving. I myself am an INTJ (Introspective, iNtuitive, Thinking, Judging). I am a very expressed introvert, a moderately expressed intuit, a distinctively expressed thinker and a moderately expressed judge.

The description the test gave me (spoilered below) was a good base line in understanding myself.
Click here to see full text
All Rationals are good at planning operations, but Masterminds are head and shoulders above all the rest in contingency planning. Complex operations involve many steps or stages, one following another in a necessary progression, and Masterminds are naturally able to grasp how each one leads to the next, and to prepare alternatives for difficulties that are likely to arise any step of the way. Trying to anticipate every contingency, Masterminds never set off on their current project without a Plan A firmly in mind, but they are always prepared to switch to Plan B or C or D if need be.

Masterminds are rare, comprising no more than one to two percent of the population, and they are rarely encountered outside their office, factory, school, or laboratory. Although they are highly capable leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead. Once they take charge, however, they are thoroughgoing pragmatists. Masterminds are certain that efficiency is indispensable in a well-run organization, and if they encounter inefficiency -- any waste of human and material resources -- they are quick to realign operations and reassign personnel. Masterminds do not feel bound by established rules and procedures, and traditional authority does not impress them, nor do slogans or catchwords. Only ideas that make sense to them are adopted; those that don't, aren't, no matter who thought of them. Remember, their aim is always maximum efficiency.

In their careers, Masterminds usually rise to positions of responsibility, for they work long and hard and are dedicated in their pursuit of goals, sparing neither their own time and effort nor that of their colleagues and employees. Problem-solving is highly stimulating to Masterminds, who love responding to tangled systems that require careful sorting out. Ordinarily, they verbalize the positive and avoid comments of a negative nature; they are more interested in moving an organization forward than dwelling on mistakes of the past.

Masterminds tend to be much more definite and self-confident than other Rationals, having usually developed a very strong will. Decisions come easily to them; in fact, they can hardly rest until they have things settled and decided. But before they decide anything, they must do the research. Masterminds are highly theoretical, but they insist on looking at all available data before they embrace an idea, and they are suspicious of any statement that is based on shoddy research, or that is not checked against reality.
I realized that I could go further however. There were a lot of great generalizations, but I could make this more specific to myself, so I profiled myself (contained in next post, text was too long).

I realize this is a very personal question, but who are you?
Unread 12-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Citizen

Default Re: Who Am I?

Who am I?
Click here to see full text
I spend most of my time trapped in my skull, making sense of things. I am quick to accept, associate and then rationalize information allowing for me to understand new ideas fairly easily if I apply myself to them, which is typical. It is not my interest to pursue concepts until I have a full understanding of them, but rather I seek out more information until I have enough knowledge to generalize situations concerning them. Having a working knowledge of something, I lose the desire to pursue concepts further.

When receiving information, I am most often concerned with the relevance of it and how I may use it. I will quickly forget things that I deem irrelevant or not useful. While this is useful in a classroom or work setting, it is highly debilitating when dealing with acquaintances. This also makes me a very pragmatic individual. I find myself constantly asking whether something is working or not and if is not, I will label it as a problem.

When I identify a problem, a necessity or an obligation, I am decisive and quickly arrive at solutions. These solutions are often fluid and easily subjected to change. I will quickly recognize all of my options, but instantly know what I find the most satisfying solution. The qualifiers that cause these solutions to be satisfying are often in flux, leading to a flexible solution. I do not enjoy leaving problems open ended without at least a plan of how to deal with them in the future. Because of this, I find myself driven to deal with issues as quickly as possible, so that I may have a sense of closure.

I know exactly what I can and cannot do. This can be limiting. I by no means avoid new solutions to old problems, I am very objective and not sentimental, but my foreknowledge prevents me from actively searching for these new solutions. It is often beneficial to know your limits however and so I find this more favorable than not.

I am a perfectionist. When I undertake a project I become engulfed within it until every minute detail has been dealt with and organized. Others have commented that my work appears professional and this is something I take pride in. However, I am limited in that if I do not complete a project in a single sitting, I often do not return to it or begin it again from scratch. If I begin a project and realize a large flaw or that it is unworkable, I may leave it unfinished. Besides these rare situations I complete tasks in their entirety if I begin them.

When under stress I pick up mindless and repetitive activities such as solitaire. It is largely a release to put things in their place in an organized system without any real effort.

I have the ability to be great, but would prefer to be happy. I would choose happiness over knowledge or success. Regrettably, I will never be content to be happy because I am intelligent and because I know that I have great potential. I am unhappy when working towards success. I am driven by my peers to do so because they will be great. I do not do this out of a feeling of competition, I am not competitive except for when I am expected to be, I do this in order to gain their respect. Unfortunately, I am a much different person when I am seeking greatness. I become colder, logical and quiet, quite at odds with the way my friends know me best: boisterous, open and honest. My peers prefer my company when I aspire to less, but would rather that I aim higher. I knowingly separated myself from my peers and family when I went to school so that I could create my professional persona. Now that I have it established, I do not need such separation.

I find it very hard to express myself verbally, as my ideas are often non-linear and require a great deal of simplification and disassociation before I can say them. If I speak too quickly I will find myself speaking nonsensically and will be forced to explain myself. I then go to great lengths trying to unravel my meaning under the pressure of my awaiting listener and by the time I have accomplished that task the moment has often passed. On the other hand, I write in the same way in which I think, so I find it incredibly easy to express myself on paper. I attribute this to not writing for a specific audience, but rather for myself.

I am disinterested by idle talk. The information traded is often already known by both parties, not useful in any meaningful way or otherwise superfluous. Because of this, I have difficulty maintaining or beginning conversation with others if I do not have something specific I wish to say to them.

I wish for other’s decisions to be based in logic. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I emphasize understanding other’s motives and can often accurately predict how a person will act in a given situation. I do judge people based on their actions, though I will understand them.

In most cases, it takes a long time for me to warm up to another individual. Among those who I have been close with for years I am lively, but around those who I have not invested a large emotional attachment I am rather soft-spoken, unless I am deliberately making an attempt to deepen a friendship or develop them as a contact. Among close friends it is fairly common place for me to begin conversations. When I do, I will typically say my opinions bluntly at which point the conversation is handed over for others to discuss. I often enjoy thinking that I have started the conversations to which I am listening to and I will learn a great deal from them because they ask questions I wouldn’t have.

I will only adopt a leadership role when I see a need for me to step up. This is typically when no one else will step to the plate or when the person who did is doing a poor job. I am a good leader because I am decisive, professional and efficient. My real flaw in a leadership position is the difficulty of explaining myself to subordinates. Once I begin to explain a concept to them, I feel obliged to continue until they understand. This is often difficult because I am bad at expressing myself and because individuals are not willing to be more than superficial. This often causes me to exhaust multiple explanations before I arrive at one simple enough to be understood or before one of us gives up.

I am confident in any situation that I understand. This being said, I am often uncomfortable in social atmospheres because I do not fully grasp how I should respond in situations. I am sincerely interested in other’s thoughts and feelings, so I make a good listener, but I can find it difficult when it is my turn to speak. I am very direct with what I want to say and once I have said it there is rarely much more to explain or elaborate.

I am very open. I will answer practically any question that is posed to me truthfully, directly and to the best of my ability and I largely expect this from others. However, this somewhat gullible quality has been tried and tested many times and has led me to be more wary while expecting others to act in accordance with the standards I apply to them.

I am sensitive to the feelings of those I feel I hold commitment to. My natural empathy for those who are close to me causes me to put others needs before my own. I often rationalize this as a sense of duty. I will always act to protect and serve those I feel I have some obligation to. These are my selfless acts and have given me a reputation of being a “good” person.

I do not recognize myself to be a “good” person. I find that my ideology and general outlook does not comply with my code of ethics. I will not specify, as it is not relevant to this work. Suffice it to say, I value the things I am aiming to achieve more than my own morality. I do not feel that I am justified, as this is a moral conception. I accept my wrongness, but am not apologetic.

While I am constantly making plans for the future, I am very aware of the present. I don’t include specific details in my plans, things will become more relevant than others, situations will change; this leads me to seem spontaneous, but my actions are typically well thought out beforehand with a decision in mind. I do not ever find myself living in the past. I am constantly adjusting for the future with an attitude of “I can’t do anything about that, this is what I can do.”
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl

Actually theres a lot of criticism of those tests... I know I sometimes get a different result where I could give more than one answer to some of the questions.

I dont think I could get *any * result but Ive had two or three different results which is probably because of how the questions were worded on different Myers-Briggs tests.

Last edited by animegirl; 12-03-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Unread 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Citizen

You are most likely moderately expressed as well. I know that some of my answers have changed over time to the same questions, you might experience something similar. They're definitely a tool to be used as a guide, not something to take especially seriously. What I found most useful about them was stripping their questions and answering them in detail in another place. It was a good tool to find what questions I should be asking myself.
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl

SaiyanArmy have you tried an enneagram test? Ive no idea if this ones more scientific or not but I find it fits what I know other people think about me.

It says Im a self preservation variant of a type 5 and I score the highest on withdrawn and assertive traits and the lowest on compliant traits.
Unread 12-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

I never tried any of those kinda tests before because i am rather skeptic of their results.How can a program judge my own personality through a set of questions without even knowing me?This aint no RPG game.

Well in understanding myself i choose to turn to the people around me,first off I hate BS.i tell you straight what i think,its gotten me into trouble plenty of times but i am not afraid to express my views.I guess in that sense it makes me very expressive.I tell you whats what.I could aslo say i am a bit of a extrovert.I am very assertive as i been told...[well stubborn in their words.] Human interaction is what fuels me,i could talk for hours with just 3 fellas on just about anything.And i am not talking about online social..i am more of a people's person.

I wouldnt say i am rational either..i am work more on impulse than rational thought,shoot first ask questions later.I am not much of a leader either,i rather run the cogs behind the scenes.I avoid leadership at all cost because i know i favor personal relations over protocol.

On the complains department i say i am 50-50,i tend to let things slide easily but piss me off and you never hear the end of it.Ethics wise,i adhere to my own code of conduct while in more times than not,it clashes with society perception of a morally good person.
Well thats all i could think off for now.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Citizen: Magic Clan.
Neophite Mage

Points: 6,049, Level: 53 Points: 6,049, Level: 53 Points: 6,049, Level: 53
AF-cutegirl is on a distinguished road

i do it that exam now and this is my results.......please tell me what do u think....and don't laugh

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||| 48%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||||| 64%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 42%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||| 28%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||| 41%
Type 6 Anxiety ||||| 19%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||||| 64%
Type 8 Aggressiveness ||||| 16%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||| 48%
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Points: 3,503, Level: 39 Points: 3,503, Level: 39 Points: 3,503, Level: 39
Ren Strawdoll is on a distinguished road

When I took the test (Jung-Myers-Briggs), it says that I'm type INTJ. And yes, I agree with the result.

But if you ask me, I'm the type of person who loves responsibility. I like the feeling of being responsible. Other people depend on me, like my teachers when it comes to quiz bees, my classmates when it comes to lessons.

I'm the person who hates attention. When people talk about me, I tend to change the subject immediately. I hate disorder. I hate chaos. I hate clutter. I hate being late.

In decision-making, I always use my brain than my feelings. I don't care if other people will get hurt, as long as everything will go smoothly. I always have those plan A, plan B, and plan C, that's why everytime I plan, and something went wrong, I have a back-up.

"Who am I?"
A very broad question. Taking personality tests isn't enough. It takes time to know oneself.
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild 1
RPG'er
Fighter

Points: 11,794, Level: 75 Points: 11,794, Level: 75 Points: 11,794, Level: 75
~Ayu~ has shown loyalty and contrubuted~Ayu~ has shown loyalty and contrubuted

Personality tests are pretty interesting but I'm too lazy for now I'll try it someday

Unread 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

Well took the test outta curiosity and i guess it wasnt as far of as i thought it would be.It judged me an ENFJ-moderately expressed extravert,
moderately expressed intuitive personality,slightly expressed feeling personality. slightly expressed judging personality.
Well the extrovert part was right at least.It says a teacher?Thats the last thing i ever be.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Tags
briggs-myers, jung, keirsey, personality typing