Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 10-13-2016, 03:44 PM

Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
TheArtofAnime is on a distinguished road
Default Kimi no Na wa / your name Anime Movie Review ・ 君のなは

Disclaimer: I don't give numerical scores in my reviews, I will explain what pieces of the show are good, bad, disappointing, etc and either give a recommendation to watch or to skip the anime.

VIDEO VERSION

TEXT VERSION

Edited version of original script and video review

Kimi no Na wa Anime Movie Review

A well constructed romance is something that gets very overshadowed as a theme in anime. We've been treated constantly to harem shows like High School DxD, Rosario + Vampire, and Date a Live. While those shows have their audiences and I quite enjoy the harem genre myself, they seem to overshadow the more emotional romance shows out there like Toradora, Chobits, and Nagi no Asukara. OF course every genre has it's big names, for Romance that'd most likely be Clannad - but for every good romance show I can name, I can name about 5 generic harems that are out there that accomplish the same feat. One of the newest contenders into the arena of touching romance anime is Kimi no Na wa, or your Name in English - by CoMix Wave Films.

Kimi no Na wa aired over in Japan near the end of August and leaked itself over this way over some translations with Chinese subtitles still intact. Within the week of it's leak it blasted straight up to the nubmer one spot on MyAnimeList and still maintains a strong 9.4 average score on the site. Why is all of this information relevant to this new Makoto Shinkai film? Because as overhyped as it may sound, Kimi no Na wa is still a pretty good movie. It may not be deserving of that 9.4 it holds, but it definitely deserves a decent pass in my book.

Story and Characters

We follow our two main characters, Taki and Mitsuha through their lives as themselves and as each other. You're probably asking what I mean right now, it's simple. In Kimi no Na wa our two protagonists switch bodies on a regular basis, sometimes we're following Taki as Mitsuha or Taki as Taki. It sounds pretty confusing, but they make sense of it pretty easily through the dialogue. And while that concept may be clear, there are a few that aren't so clear. Usually I'm pretty on board with a show or movie hiding things from plain sight, but there are a few gripes I had with Kimi no Na wa that didn't really make any sense to me. I'll get into those a bit later with a spoiler warning though. Aside from our main cast of Taki and Mitsuha, you have a few pretty well developed side characters like Sayaka, Tessie, Ms. Okudera and even Mitsuha's grandmother, Hitoha.

Animation

CoMix Wave Films has provided some pretty awesome animation in past works like Five Centimeters Per Second and Tabi Machi Late Show. Kimi no Na wa is no exception to this fact. The animation of this film is entirely supurb, has excellent examples of sakuga at work, and even dabbles in the use of CGI in the right manner

Soundtrack

I honestly can't speak for a song that REALLY stuck out to me other than the movie edits of the lyrical songs like Zenzenzense, none of it was awful by any means, but nothing noteworthy either. I guess Mitsuha's Theme was pretty sweet, but the rest of the soundtrack to me just "fit" the movie, nothing more, nothing less.

Spoiler Area

Here's the part where things get tricky and where I need to dive into spoiler territory...

Click here to see full text
So let's start with my gripes, some things in Kimi no Na wa just felt like they were there because. I love the relationship between Taki and Ms. Okudera but I knew by the end they wouldn't end up together, I KNEW in my heart that it would be Taki and Mitsuha but I really wish we got to see more of the interaction they had with each other rather than just hearing about how they conversed, sure it was shown a few times. But maybe a few flirtatious diary entries would have been nice to see just to make us smile more. The scene near the end where Taki writes on Mitsuha's hand "I love you" kind of bothered me, because I saw no reason for Taki to love her, they're dealing with a situation together, that's it - I never once felt like these characters were getting romantically closer until Taki wrote those words to Mitsuha. That said, I accepted the fact that this is how things worked out and was prepared for an ending where Taki and Mitsuha met back up years later and just walked by each other, you know kind of like how 5 Centimeters Per Second worked out. But pleasantly I was surprised into seeing Taki and Mitsuha remeet each other and carry on a conversation.

Final Verdict

Kimi no Na wa, without a doubt deserves praise, but not as much praise as it is recieving. It isn't the "best anime movie of all time", but it surely is a really great one. Do I personally enjoy it more than 5 Centimeters Per Second? I'm not quite sure yet and I'd really have to sit down and compare the two side by side. But honestly, if you're looking for a sweet romance story that has it's emotional ups and downs consider checking out Kimi no Na wa, it might make the weaker of souls cry and the stronger of souls remember what strengthened their resolve in the first place.
Unread 10-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Super donator
Fighter
Citizen Representative

Points: 25,841, Level: 100 Points: 25,841, Level: 100 Points: 25,841, Level: 100
NightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalryNightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalryNightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalry
Default Re: Kimi no Na wa / your name Anime Movie Review ・ 君のなは

Another beautiful review my friend

It pains me to say that I'm not a great lover of the romance genre and would have to admit the only romance anime I ever came close to enjoying was Kanon.

I did watch (at least some) of the movie Kimi no Na wa, and it wasn't half bad, the animation is quite beautiful, but I agree, the soundtrack was mediocre, unfortunately I only got half way through before I found myself reaching for a barf bag and turned it off ... only to find salvation by re-watching the entire 3 Mardock Scramble movies.

Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed your review ... a hell of a lot more than the movie, keep up the good work buddy

(comments also published on the Tube, and liked)

Last edited by NightAl AmV; 10-13-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 10-14-2016, 03:12 AM
Super donator
Hatchling Dragon
Citizen Representative

Points: 3,974, Level: 42 Points: 3,974, Level: 42 Points: 3,974, Level: 42
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
Seadragon AMV`s Has shown honour and chivalrySeadragon AMV`s Has shown honour and chivalrySeadragon AMV`s Has shown honour and chivalry

Yeah it is a really great movie, i saw "Koe no Katachi" movie on the cinema, both are awesome romance, i recommend!
Unread 10-14-2016, 11:19 PM

Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14
TheArtofAnime is on a distinguished road

@Seadragon I've been hearing about Koe no Katachi, I'll have to look into that!

@NightAl As always thanks for you words .
Unread 05-09-2018, 02:03 PM

Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
alihosseini is on a distinguished road

one of the best anime i'v ever seen, the story is so powerful and when anime it's finish my heart got pain.

Tags
5 centimeters per second, kimi no na wa, makoto shinkai, sakuga, your name