Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > General Anime topics

General Anime topics Anime topics, like: What is the most violent anime etc. ( COSPLAY SUBFORUM )

Unread 05-09-2016, 08:10 AM

Points: 3,308, Level: 37 Points: 3,308, Level: 37 Points: 3,308, Level: 37
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Hathyle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: whats considered old or classic?

I would say anything before the millennium.
Unread 05-09-2016, 07:03 PM

Points: 1,744, Level: 25 Points: 1,744, Level: 25 Points: 1,744, Level: 25
Gaff is on a distinguished road

It's not something I really think that much about, but the millenium is probably a good cut off point - it was around that time that digitally produced anime started to become the norm, as opposed to animation made using traditional film.
Unread 06-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Super donator
Fighter
Citizen Representative

Points: 26,768, Level: 100 Points: 26,768, Level: 100 Points: 26,768, Level: 100
Activity: 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
NightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalryNightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalryNightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalry

Quote:
whats considered old or classic?
That's a really subjective question, I think it all depends on the viewer, define 'classic'.

Case in point ... Sailor Moon, Akira, Dragon Ball, One Piece and Naruto are described by many as 'classics' ... but I didn't particularly like any of them, so to me they were not classics at all.

Personally I hate the word 'classic' it reeks of elitism, eg Gone With the Wind is supposed to be a classic movie, but I found it a total bore. The same for anime like Akira, dated, old fashioned and artistically inferior to many modern anime.

A classic anime is one you can relate to and thoroughly enjoy, no matter how old it is or how many people scream at you at parties, 'Oh how could you not enjoy Akira it's a classic'? .... I say who cares, I didn't enjoy it Ok???

Beethoven is considered a classic performer, but give me Foo Fighters any day!

I prefer to replace the word 'classic' with 'favorite' and most of the anime I love has been made recently and far to modern for the elitists to consider classic. This is my classic world of anime I adored:

Paniponi Dash, FLCL, Yuri Yuri, Spirited Away, el Cazador de la Bruja, Paprika, Ergo Proxy and Serial Experiments Lain (arguably the best anime ever created, but only in my opinion)

It's all down to to your personal choice.

Cheers

Last edited by NightAl AmV; 06-30-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Unread 07-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Citizen

Points: 1,977, Level: 27 Points: 1,977, Level: 27 Points: 1,977, Level: 27
Script Weaver is on a distinguished road

I don't think I quite agree with your sentiment of the value of a classic piece. Despite my question, I'll give my personal idea of classic. In a general terms of things (at least in non anime-specific terms), I'd consider classic as being something that is not only important for its time, but has garnished a large following during said time. I can get not being a fan of classics, but to outright label them as just favoritism or elitism is a bit much personally, but thats just my stinky ol' opinion.

Btw, Ergo Proxy and Serial Experiments are some of my personal favorites as well (In fact my favorite anime of all time is Lain, I mean, lets all love Lain, right?)

Its nice to see other Lain fans. I'm actually hoping to some day in the future make a Lain analysis. but not until I have a good feel for this whole youtube thing. I wanna give Lain the proper justice it deserves. It truly is a beautiful anime.
Unread 07-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Citizen

Points: 2,632, Level: 33 Points: 2,632, Level: 33 Points: 2,632, Level: 33
Cudwieser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Script Weaver View Post
I don't think I quite agree with your sentiment of the value of a classic piece. Despite my question, I'll give my personal idea of classic. In a general terms of things (at least in non anime-specific terms), I'd consider classic as being something that is not only important for its time, but has garnished a large following during said time. I can get not being a fan of classics, but to outright label them as just favoritism or elitism is a bit much personally, but thats just my stinky ol' opinion.

Btw, Ergo Proxy and Serial Experiments are some of my personal favorites as well (In fact my favorite anime of all time is Lain, I mean, lets all love Lain, right?)

Its nice to see other Lain fans. I'm actually hoping to some day in the future make a Lain analysis. but not until I have a good feel for this whole youtube thing. I wanna give Lain the proper justice it deserves. It truly is a beautiful anime.
To reinforce a point that was made. Ergo was one of your favorites, it wasn't one of mine. If anyone is aware of Neo Magazine and has a back issue, I dropped a reader review about it. I basically found it unimpressive and stiff. Some do like it but I wouldn't count it as classic. In saying that, disliking doesn't stop something being a classic. I've kind of revised my view of NGE which is a classic. Before I liked it, but now I'm just indifferent. The bottom line is feeling and taste cannot be sole criteria of whether something is a classic IMO. As you pointed out significance to the medium and culture are two critical factors as well. While Akira will always be considered a classic, it was an anime I took little joy from originally (just didn't get it the first time). Equally Excel Saga will likely become a classic if only for it's very Japanese humor mixed with a sharp lampoon of the very culture it is a part of (here is a link to the puni puni poemy
. Puni Puni is the sequel to Excel Saga and is a darker lampoon of the seedier side of anime). Most won't get it's humor but there is hardly anyone who hasn't heard of it or it's notorious sequel.

In saying that. If you can't relate to an aime, be it through liking and enjoying it or it making you think then irt isn't likely to be a classic. A classic has to resonate on some level and be recognisable for it. Lain is an anime that reads well and one I'd like to watch if I get round to it. I will concede it may be a classic as it seems to have the qualities of one. It has a good story, It has a plasent art style. I can't say much of the charaters are how the animation works so I'll leave that up to you to tells us Mr Weaver
Unread 07-16-2016, 08:58 PM

Points: 1,065, Level: 18 Points: 1,065, Level: 18 Points: 1,065, Level: 18
SB2003 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to SB2003

in my opinion: old is something that is forgotten by a lot of people and classic is something that it was created many years ago but it's still loved by people
Unread 07-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Citizen

Points: 2,632, Level: 33 Points: 2,632, Level: 33 Points: 2,632, Level: 33
Cudwieser is on a distinguished road

Interesting POV. I like. Only critique would be the fact we all forget things, even things we should remember. In any case you do have a point.
Unread 07-17-2016, 02:28 AM
Super donator
Hatchling Dragon
Citizen Representative

Points: 4,296, Level: 44 Points: 4,296, Level: 44 Points: 4,296, Level: 44
Activity: 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
Seadragon AMV`s Has shown honour and chivalrySeadragon AMV`s Has shown honour and chivalrySeadragon AMV`s Has shown honour and chivalry

I consider classic or older when that "thing" was watched or saw by my father or mother when they were children :P
Unread 07-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Super donator
Fighter
Citizen Representative

Points: 26,768, Level: 100 Points: 26,768, Level: 100 Points: 26,768, Level: 100
Activity: 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
NightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalryNightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalryNightAl AmV Has shown honour and chivalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Script Weaver View Post
but to outright label them as just favoritism or elitism is a bit much personally, but thats just my stinky ol' opinion.
Yes I agree, on reflection I should have not used the word 'elitist', my bad, I think I was having bad night

I guess what I was trying say is that some folks tend to put us down because we didn't enjoy what they consider to be a 'classic' movie or anime.

And I'm always happy to find a friend who loves Lain .... I'm looking forward to your analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudwieser View Post
In saying that, disliking doesn't stop something being a classic.
Again I stand corrected, this is a good point you make Cudwieser.

And I also agree ... Puni Puni Poemy was outrageously funny ... Excel was just wonderful, so silly yet likeable
Unread 08-11-2016, 11:56 AM

Points: 921, Level: 17 Points: 921, Level: 17 Points: 921, Level: 17
Anjim 2.0 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Anjim 2.0

Big O is a classical and I love the tech-noir art style