Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Philosophical Discussion

Unread 12-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Site Creator

Points: 385,237, Level: 100 Points: 385,237, Level: 100 Points: 385,237, Level: 100
Activity: 56%
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
Ascended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud of
Default Are you the same person you were before?

Are you the same person you were before?
Or even before you started to read this thread?

If you look at a a photo of someone you think is you, seven years ago. What makes that person you?
You might say it looks like you.
But ones apearance changes over time.
You might say it had the same cells as you.
But most of your cells are replaced every seven years.
You might say the 'you' can survive cell replacement
But are you really an entire human being? If someone swapped someones brain for yours, you would be them wouldnt you.
So it is tempting to say that you are a human brain, not a human being.
But why the brain and not the heart?
Presumably because the brain supports your mental states, thoughts, fears, beliefs, values, and memories.
But then it looks like it's actually those mental states that count, not the brain
But the view faces a problem: what if surgeons imprinted your mental states on two pre-wiped brains: Would you be in 3 places at the same time. Yet one person cannot be in two places at once.
So no attempt to make sense of your continued existence over time works.

Are you the same person who started reading this thread?

Whats your prespective?

Please hit my Youtube FSN video link -> Link

RPG charater links - Dark Elf Lord - Fairy Lord

Talking /Thinking

Unread 12-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Zombie

Priincevegeta is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Priincevegeta Send a message via MSN to Priincevegeta
Default Re: Are you the same person you were before?

Awesome Post, Has To be Said!
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Royal Clan
Resting Supermod
Sir. Tupac - the Valiant
Knight At Arms

Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100 Points: 76,954, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
tupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of lighttupac115 is a glorious beacon of light

Mindblowing topic here Boss.
Its quite a paradox really.
Well my two cents would be that we are surely in a state of constant change.
We are our own biggest critics so we also strive to better ourselves and as a result of that we change.It may be a subtle change and we ourselves might not notice it but its a change.We can start systematically nibbling away or changing all of those elements that we consider to be constituents of our identity such as our memories, station in life, physical being, knowledge, personallity that in the end our own identity is compromised.
But in hindsight those things are what constitutes our own self identity.
So as long as i retain these things in some form,i still am the same person i was before in essence.

Set by Shanks
죽음은 고통에서 내 릴리즈 될 것입니다

Unread 12-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Citizen: Dragon Clan.
Wyrm Dragon

Points: 9,868, Level: 68 Points: 9,868, Level: 68 Points: 9,868, Level: 68
PrinceVegeta is on a distinguished road

I look at pics form time to time and I don't see the me...old me i've seen before. the challenges and obticles in life change us from what we once were... shoot if you think about it we are always changing evolving to something better or we can degress in to things and habits not suitable for us. I believe tho that we no matter how we change there is always a piece of our old selves in us...it just takes some time to find it, soul searching if you will.

for more gags, funniness, and fun read the Search For The Sendel Serifs RPG!
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Citizen
RPG'er

Points: 4,496, Level: 45 Points: 4,496, Level: 45 Points: 4,496, Level: 45
Ciel Phantomhive is on a distinguished road

That is an interesting topic..
Yes biologically we change constantly, with new cells and variations of things however, personally i believe that it is a person's experiences that change who they are on the outside.
If it was a terrible experience then the person would change to fufil that feeling. If it was a happy, exciting experience then they could become a more happy person overall.
However the meaning behind Hapiness and Sadness varies from person to person.
For one person happiness could be spending time with their family, whereas someone else's happiness could consist of killing certain people for the sake of say, avenging lost friends or family? It wouldn't bring the friends or family back but it would make that person feel better.
It is the experiences people have in life that effect and change who a person is. Biologically we change.. but then the experiences go to memories, both painful and happy, which affect what you think of things, even your judgment...

If what every person was now, was all down to biological matters then wouldn't family members be the same? They have many of the same genes/alleles.. so they'd all be similar if that was true right?
However that is not the case. People who are saddend or happy tend to show it in the way they look.
People who have had sad memories can.. forget how to smile.. they wear different things their personality/looks change considerably to match the feeling of what the brain remembers.

If they were to duplicate the brain three times and place them in different bodies.If it were really possible then to begin with the three people would all be similar, but then depending on the new memories that arise, the environment around them, all three of those people would not be recognised as the same person. Each of them would be different, growing in their own thoughts and feelings. Seperate memories from that of the other.

So really you may not be the same as you were so many years ago, but personally i believe it is not because of your genes and cells, but because of the family and friends you have around you and the memories you keep deep in your heart..

RPGs: Ayamaru Hamasaki ~ Ayame Hissatsu ~ Maria Phantomhive ~ Kyouraku Shunsui ~ Yuki Kuran ~ Claude Ash ~ Reika Senri ~ Fayth Valentine + Nero
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Blogger
Super donator
Guardian Dragon
ADMIN
Representatives Leader

Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100
Dragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Dragonlady Send a message via MSN to Dragonlady Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonlady Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonlady

I will never be the same person that I was just a second, minute, hour or day ago. I am constantly evolving and changing. Every second I get older. I become different from who I was before. So therefor I will never be the same person I was in the past. I am me, but an ever changing me.
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Citizen: Magic Clan.
Adept Mage

Points: 9,254, Level: 66 Points: 9,254, Level: 66 Points: 9,254, Level: 66
Rika Furude has shown loyalty and contrubutedRika Furude has shown loyalty and contrubuted

I think i am never the person i was before i read this thread,i constantly try to change myself for the better so i am everchanging i think.
What makes me, me is the people around me.... So you define who i am.I do not know if i am making any sense at all.

Unread 01-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
Resting Mod
Warrior

Points: 9,970, Level: 69 Points: 9,970, Level: 69 Points: 9,970, Level: 69
DustPebbles has shown loyalty and contrubutedDustPebbles has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to DustPebbles Send a message via Yahoo to DustPebbles

Physically, yes, of course. I'm still me, unless aliens had cloned me and I am the clone version of myself- let's not go there.

But inside, no. If I were to look at a photo taken 5 years ago, I'd see a girl whose smile reaches her eyes. I can actually see sparkles in my them. I can see innocence and naivety, which I've taken for granted. I never even knew that I had it. Looking at my photos now is just a waste of time because what I see disappoints me. I'm turning to a teenager. A typical teenager worried about her appearance and what others think, yet I do nothing to improve their views.

I must say, I've changed for the worse. I do not like ageing and changing myself without even knowing that I am. On the other hand, it's a part of life, I have to deal with it.
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Citizen: Dragon Clan.
Winged Dragon

Points: 23,768, Level: 100 Points: 23,768, Level: 100 Points: 23,768, Level: 100
sakura has shown loyalty and contrubutedsakura has shown loyalty and contrubuted

it's funny cause recently i was looking old photos of myself and as i was looking at them i was thinking each and every moment of my childhood.
at some aspects, yeah i have changed.changed a lot.whereas at some others, i tend to have the same opinion as then.
it's only natural to change.sometimes maybe it's frightening but it's natural.
changing though doesn't make us another person.we are who we are always.
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:24 AM

Points: 5,230, Level: 49 Points: 5,230, Level: 49 Points: 5,230, Level: 49
Harrison N. Kore will become famous soon enough

This is a great question, and it all depends upon memory. While you may not be the same person you were ten years ago, the reason that you aren't a mere human brain is, because you can recall your experience from ten years ago, which was a building block to make you who you are today. Without such past experience, you could be entirely different from whom you are today. To be a human being, it requires cumulatively all you were in the past to make yourself now. For example, while I am a Libertarian now, I was a Liberal beforehand. However, I am a Libertarian now, because I built upon my experiences as a Liberal before, and I wouldn't be a Libertarian now without those exact experiences.