Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Blogger
Super donator
Guardian Dragon
ADMIN
Representatives Leader

Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Dragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Dragonlady Send a message via MSN to Dragonlady Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonlady Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonlady
Default Sword Art Online

Sword Art Online

Number of episodes: 22 - ongoing (in the Alfheim Online [ALO] Arc)

The opening theme song for the first 14 episodes is "crossing field" by LiSA and the ending theme song is "Yume Sekai" (ユメセカイ, lit. "Dream World") by Haruka Tomatsu
Opening 1

From episode 15 onward, the opening theme is "INNOCENCE" by Aoi Eir and the ending theme is "Overfly" by Luna Haruna
Opening 2

In the year 2022, the Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG), Sword Art Online (SAO), is released. With the Nerve Gear, a virtual reality helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds.
On November 6, 2022, all the players log in for the first time, and subsequently discover that they are unable to log out. They are then informed by Kayaba Akihiko, the creator of SAO, that if they wish to be free, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, if their avatars die in-game, their bodies will also die in the real world. The story follows Kirito, a skilled player who is determined to beat the game. As the game progresses, Kirito eventually befriends a female player named Asuna with whom he eventually falls in love with. After the duo discover the identity of Kayaba's avatar in SAO, they confront and defeat him, freeing themselves and the other players from the game.
Upon returning to the real world, Kirito learns that Asuna and a small group of SAO players are trapped in another VRMMORPG called Alfheim Online (ALO). Their imprisonment in ALO is part of a plan devised by Nobuyuki Sugō to perform illegal experiments on their minds including subdue Asuna and marry her, in an attempt to take over her family's company. Helped by Leafa, a player he meets in ALO, Kirito stops Nobuyuki's plans and finally reunites with Asuna in the real world.
Soon after, Kirito plays another VRMMORPG called Gun Gale Online (GGO) to investigate the mysterious connection between the game and deaths occurring in the real world. He eventually discovers that the culprits are former members of a murderous guild he had previously encountered in SAO.
After solving the murders in GGO, Kirito is recruited to assist in the development of a state-of-the-art game, UnderWorld (UW), which has an interface that is far more realistic and complex than that of the previous games he had played. In UW, the flow of time proceeds thousands of times faster than in the real world. However, Kirito ends up falling for a trap and wakes up inside the game, unable to log out and he starts looking for a way back to reality.

Sword Art Online
The first virtual game world, as well as the setting of the first arc of the story. The world takes the form of a giant floating castle called Aincrad, with 100 floors in it. Each floor has a medieval-themed setting and a dungeon with a boss, which has to be defeated before players can advance to the next higher floor. Like most RPGs, it implements a level based system.

Alfheim Online
The setting for the second arc of the story. All players in the game have wings and are capable of flight. It is a large world, divided into separate 'homelands' for each of its fairy races. In Alfheim's center is a very large tree called Yggdrasil, the World Tree, and the goal of the game is to reach the top. It implements a skill based system with players increasing their stats by developing both their combat and non-combat skills, in a fashion similar to the The Elder Scrolls game series. Aincrad, the castle of the first game, is later accessible to ALO players as well.

Gun Gale Online
The setting for the third arc of the story. It is a virtual game world with a main focus on guns, although melee weapons like lightsabers and knives also exist.

UnderWorld
The setting for the fourth arc of the story. According to Kirito, it is graphically the most realistic of all VRMMOs to date. The flow of time in UW is much faster than the real world's just like Accel World. Even so, it seems that even Kirito was misled as to the actual rate of UW's time flow, so it is still unknown. However, in the "There is but one ultimate way" side story, the rate is said to be 1000 times faster than that of the real world.

For all of you who haven't watched SAO yet... do so. You won't regret it. It's a fairly fast paced anime, but it has a great storyline and plenty of emotions and actions.

Last edited by +Masamune+; 07-29-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Unread 12-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Banned

ShineCero has a little shamelful behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to ShineCero
Default Re: Sword Art Online

People have be up in my face, trying to get me to watch the anime, and gets furious that I dropped the series after the first episode. Is it really that good of the anime? xDD
Unread 12-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Blogger
Super donator
Guardian Dragon
ADMIN
Representatives Leader

Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100 Points: 128,409, Level: 100
Dragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to beholdDragonlady is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Dragonlady Send a message via MSN to Dragonlady Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonlady Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonlady

Yes. It gets better after the first few episodes. I was skeptical at first, but then I kept on watching it and I was glad that I did. I don't miss an episode. I'm right on Crunchyroll every Saturday at 2pm waiting on the newest episode.
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:32 AM

Points: 4,779, Level: 47 Points: 4,779, Level: 47 Points: 4,779, Level: 47
JamesB is on a distinguished road

I tried to watch it, but the premise is just absolutely ridiculous and is never justified from what I've seen. I couldn't sit through it because of how seriously it tries to take the premise when its so full of holes. The plot holes really got on my nerves. However, I think all the hype it got also drug it down for me. Critics were regarding it as "the most intelligent anime to date" or something to that effect. I probably could have looked past some of the plot holes, but the critics really over-blew the series for me. Infact, I quite liked the comedic parts. For example, when the game's creator made everyone use their real appearance for their in-game avatar and some of the girls turned out to be men. It was a basic joke, but I still laughed at it. I think if it took itself less seriously I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:24 AM
(formerly Yuri K) Magic Clan Leader
Queen of Cosplay
Blogger
Lady Of The Lake

Points: 29,281, Level: 100 Points: 29,281, Level: 100 Points: 29,281, Level: 100
Activity: 52%
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%
Pidge Has AscendedPidge Has AscendedPidge Has AscendedPidge Has AscendedPidge Has AscendedPidge Has Ascended

i just started watching and so far i like the story a lot. this is my favorite type of anime. i also like the animation the places they went to and the characters look awesome. i can't wait to see more just wish it was dub or on dvd.
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:07 AM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+

i keep hearing about this but i havent watched or seen anything on it
im at work so i cant see the picture either. ill check it out when i get off work

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:38 AM

Points: 1,835, Level: 26 Points: 1,835, Level: 26 Points: 1,835, Level: 26
Black Mage is on a distinguished road

I love this anime! Can't wait for Season 2!
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:47 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild 1
RPG'er
Fighter

Points: 11,794, Level: 75 Points: 11,794, Level: 75 Points: 11,794, Level: 75
~Ayu~ has shown loyalty and contrubuted~Ayu~ has shown loyalty and contrubuted

I hope it's possible in real life. To be in the game.

Unread 05-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+

i got the episodes on my computer but i havent gotten around to watching past the first episode. it seems alright so far but the setup seems a bit farfetched

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 05-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Points: 9,939, Level: 68 Points: 9,939, Level: 68 Points: 9,939, Level: 68
Eruner has shown loyalty and contrubutedEruner has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via Skype™ to Eruner

okay, I will be watching this
[/I][URL="http://animeforum.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13520&highlight=eruner"]Eruner (OC)[/URL]--------[URL="http://eruner.deviantart.com"]DeviantArt [/URL]--------[URL="http://animeforum.org.uk/showthread.php?t=14628"]My cards[/URL]

Tags
anime, game, sword art online, virtual reality, vr anime