Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Political Discussion

Unread 06-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Citizen

Points: 5,496, Level: 50 Points: 5,496, Level: 50 Points: 5,496, Level: 50
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
SaiyanArmy will become famous soon enough
Default Rational Action and Tobacco Policy

How would you respond if I said humans cannot be expected to make rational decisions for themselves? That individuals seek out freedom for freedoms sake without seeing any real benefit? That without the foreknowledge of tobaccos existence, individuals wouldn't seek it out?

A rational decision involves discovering the most efficient way of furthering individual self interest and then acting upon it. Such a decision must be arrived at with logical thinking rather than emotional or moral rationalization. Every person can (or at least should be able to) distinguish three types of arguments: arguments that appeal to the logical self, arguments that appeal to emotional self and arguments that appeal to the ethical self.

I would say that the majority of persons favor emotional and ethical arguments rather than logical ones. A rational decision would be a decision made only weighing logical arguments against one another. This would make me among the critics of Rational Action Theory. It is my personal opinion that at least the majority of people do not make rational decisions as they are not able to separate themselves from their emotional and moral selves. Examples of irrational decision making includes the choice to smoke even when knowing the effects it can have on the body.

What are your thoughts? How would you respond to my initial questions?
Unread 06-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Deleted

animegirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to animegirl Send a message via Yahoo to animegirl
Default Re: Rational Action and Tobacco Policy

This thread may have started as an offshoot from another thread in Political Discussion, but does it really belong here? Its more to do with cognition, which is why I mentioned brain structure and its effects in the other thread that got locked

And I dont think that anyone is able to seperate the "separate themselves from their emotional and moral selves", because of how the human brain works and why our cognitive processes evolved in the first place

But I do agree that people behave in self harming ways such as smoking tobacco, and that there are social reasons that encourage it
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Citizen

Points: 8,266, Level: 63 Points: 8,266, Level: 63 Points: 8,266, Level: 63
nanafan is on a distinguished road

i would think this would fit better in the philosophical section. but i think we are ration to a point. humans have always been easily influenced by each other. peer pressure is a hard thing to ignore. everyone wants to fit in, i think wanting to be accepted is something everyone wants whether they admit it or not.
Unread 06-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Citizen

Points: 5,848, Level: 52 Points: 5,848, Level: 52 Points: 5,848, Level: 52
Shanks115 has shown loyalty and contrubutedShanks115 has shown loyalty and contrubuted

Yes they can,humans can make rational decisions using the subconscious or unconcious part of the mind.Alex Pouget and Michael Shaden has proven this.

Tags
rational behavior, tobacco