Go Back   Anime Forum > General Discussion Forums > Education and work Centre > Collage and university

Collage and university Collage and university issues and discussions.

Unread 11-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Resting Supermod
OC Guild 1
Grandmaster Mage

Points: 76,627, Level: 100 Points: 76,627, Level: 100 Points: 76,627, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
GohanMaster has a spectacular aura about themGohanMaster has a spectacular aura about themGohanMaster has a spectacular aura about themGohanMaster has a spectacular aura about themGohanMaster has a spectacular aura about them
Default Online College Courses Discussion

Online College Courses, do you like them or, hate them?

Have you ever taken any or currently taking any?

Are you interested?

Talk about any Online College class, and discuss

Personally, I kind of like it.
My work is not due until like 1 month ahead of time, so I get to procrastinate all the time I want
Right now, I'm taking two online classes, and it is semi easy but at the same time semi hard.

I'm taking a short class for easy credits called Microsoft Outlook
It's funny because me and my mom have that same class, so we copy off each other and help each other on quizzes But it is kind of easy.

I'm also taking another online class called Film Music Appreciation, which is just a little more difficult. For example, this is what I spent 8 hours doing in the past two days. Since it is an online class, I had to post it online called "Blackboard Learning System" (I had to watch two movies and talk about 3 functions and a few of our vocab words, and I spend so long making it sound kind of professional, and all the all the rearranging of words and stuff is very time consuming. For the number 2, I had to watch and pick 4 different Forest Gump intros and discuss about it and how different the music sounded and what not)

The awesome thing was that it had to be 240 words minimum, but I did 1,047. I went a little overboard by accident
Click here to see full text

1)

A lot of movies came to mind as I read through the criteria of how to do the first assignment. At first; I wanted to do Sweeney Todd, but then thought it would have been too cliché, so I decided to pick a family fun movie rated one of the best DreamWorks Animation movies out there with a total domestic gross of $441,226,247. Shrek 2 was a great movie, and I thought it would be interesting to talk about.

Shrek 2 is a sequel to Shrek. It was directed by Andrew Adamson, Conrad Vernon and Kelly Asbury and was produced by Jeffrey Katzenberg. The movie was released on May 19th 2004 and was nominated for two Oscar awards such as Original Song ("Accidentally in Love") and Animated Feature. The main cast of the movie included Mike Myers – Shrek (voice), Eddie Murphy – Donkey (voice), Cameron Diaz - Princess Fiona (voice) and Antonio Banderas - Puss in Boots (voice), along with many others.

About half way through the movie; pianissimo was used as a soft sounding background. This enhanced the feeling of sadness that Shrek felt as he looked into Fiona’s music box and found her diary. The sound that came from the music box indicated the function of “Music within the Narrative” since you can indicate where the music is coming from, even if it is for a short few seconds. As Shrek read the diary; he realized that he may not be the one Fiona had hoped to marry (A.K.A. Prince Charming). This part of the scene has the music reflecting the mood and emotion Shrek felt and elicits a feeling of empathy for him within the viewer.

When Shrek and Donkey decide to drink a magic potion and become “sexy” (exclaimed Donkey); the function of “Borrowing” was used in mezzo forte (medium loud) with the popular song Changes, sung by Bowie and Butterfly Boucher and helped the scene become upbeat.

For my second choice, I picked a great movie that surprisingly did not do to well in the box office and thanks to negative reviews and poor word-of-mouth, it was not a well liked movie. However, in my opinion; I think it was amazing! The movie Lady in the Water was directed by M. Night Shyamalan and produced by Sam Mercer Jose L. Rodriguez M. Night Shyamalan. The reason why I chose this film is because it is one of my favorites and I love some of the music it has. Movies made nowadays are so predictable, but not this one. This movie is the epitome of unpredictability.

The movie was originally planned for Disney, as Shyamalan's previous four films; but was rejected. Shyamalan was reportedly angry about the rejection and presented the project to Warner Bros., who agreed to make the film.

It was released on July 21st, 2006 and had grossed a total of $18.2 million in its opening week, placing third in the United Stated Box Office. It was Shyamalan's lowest opening for any of his major films. The cast consists of Paul Giamatti - Cleveland Heep (The Healer), Bryce Dallas Howard – Story, M. Night Shyamalan - Vick Ran (The Vessel), and many others.

Throughout the movie, one of the functions of the music is to “intensify or relax the pace”, as in most scenes where the main character, Mr. Heep (The Healer) is involved in conversations with “Story” and the other Tenants.
Another function of music in the movie is to “reflect mood or emotion” as in the scene in the stairwell with Mr. Heep and Story. In this scene; crescendo was performed as the music builds to the climactic point when the “Scrunt” attacked Story, creating a feeling of suspense.

I think the music in this film directly relate to the action in the scenes, showing “parallel or underscore” because of the two functions described above. The two functions above talk about the quiet scenes during conversations and the climactic crescendos.

References:
Shrek 2, reference 1 (Found information about part of the Cast and the Crew)
http://www.answers.com/topic/shrek-2

Shrek 2, reference 2 (Found out about the total Gross, Academy Awards)
http://boxofficemojo.com/oscar/movies/?id=shrek2.htm

Shrek 2, reference 3 (Found information of the full cast)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298148/fullcredits

Lady in the Water, reference 1 (Found info about production and the cast)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_in_the_Water

Lady in the Water, reference 2 (Found info about the Box Office)
http://www.answers.com/topic/lady-in-the-water

Lady in the Water, reference 3 (Found info about the release date, cast, and crew)
http://www.movietome.com/movie/35420...ter/index.html

2)

(Not sure if I was suppose to do number 2 in the same post or not but I did just in case)

The second intro I did not like. It makes the movie sounds like it will be a mysterious horror/musical, which it is not. However; keeping in mind that I’m pretending not to have seen it before; I would think the movie would be a musical or maybe set in the early 90’s, kind of dark. This inro somewhat gives the feeling that you’re about to watch a Tim Burton movie, because of the dark and mysterious feeling to it.

The third one used a piano very beautifully. It almost makes you feel as if your about to watch something magical, yet sad at the same time. It kinds of gives me the vibe like I’m about to watch a fantasy movie, or something all weird that is part reality and part not, like in Peter Pan, but it would be in the current time.

Forth one I hated with a passion. It did not fit the scenery, it sounded to magical and fantasy like, something like how Harry potter would sound, but at the same time reminds me of Winnie the Pooh ride from Disneyland.

Fifth one went way to slow. It also did not fit the scenery, but it was kind of pretty. It felt as if it was going to be depressing like we were about to enter something sad, almost like we were about to be introduced into a funeral or something that was set back into the late 80’s.

Maybe you're the reason why all the doors are closed.
So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road.
Like a lightning bolt, your heart will blow.
And when it's time, you'll know.

Link: Feel free to click and watch this special link

Unread 12-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Banned

ShineCero has a little shamelful behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to ShineCero
Default Re: Online College Courses Discussion

I'm currently taking three online courses this semester and four more the next one due to my shyness. However, it's a good experience and pretty convenience for people who goes to work, or other activities they have come across. With a week(s) to due a single homework can be a stress relieved (and a bad thing since people tend to get lazy!).
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Banned

fullblue has shown loyalty and contrubutedfullblue has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to fullblue

EDX and Coursera have a lot to offer but if you want more serious one go for distance learning. like Open University.
Unread 08-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Banned

LoopyPanda is infamous around these partsLoopyPanda is infamous around these parts

The closest to "online" I have is a partial Online History course + discussion. Which makes me show up for discussion just one day of the week, but I do most of it online. Which is good for me because I can only trust myself to do online-partial classes since I've never done fully online. Knowing me, I'd probably forget it exists lol.

Tags
classes, college, credits, curses, eassy, easy class, film music, forest gump, frustration, online, school work