Go Back   Anime Forum > Extended Discussion > Extended Discussion and Debate forums > Training and Martial arts

Training and Martial arts Training and martial arts Discussion and debate

Unread 06-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Royal Clan
Blogger
Sir. Tien: the Dedicated
Knight At Arms

Points: 46,610, Level: 100 Points: 46,610, Level: 100 Points: 46,610, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Tien Has shown honour and chivalryTien Has shown honour and chivalryTien Has shown honour and chivalryTien Has shown honour and chivalry
Default Muscle size and muscle strength

Is muscle size directly proportional to strength?

Can muscles be strong but not large, or large but not strong?

Are there factors other than the size of a muscle that effects its strength?
Unread 06-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Royal Clan:
OC Guild
Sir. cooler : Da Incredible Massiv
RPG'er
Knight Champion

Points: 11,101, Level: 72 Points: 11,101, Level: 72 Points: 11,101, Level: 72
Activity: 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
cooler has a spectacular aura about themcooler has a spectacular aura about themcooler has a spectacular aura about themcooler has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to cooler
Default Re: Muscle size and muscle strength

respek sir tien

me tink bigger is better so me train well ard
but me uncle jerome tell me dat steroids just make u swell and not strong

me DBZ rpg cooler

me OC rpg masive
incredible
massiv
unstoppable
unbeatable
invincible
as beneficial
respected by man
and loved by woman
Unread 06-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Site Creator

Points: 374,446, Level: 100 Points: 374,446, Level: 100 Points: 374,446, Level: 100
Activity: 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
Ascended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud of

Genaraly speaking I would say as your muscles get bigger they get stronger.
However, I dont think this is always the case.
For example you can weight train for streangth or size, and the type of training programme is verry different.

Also alot of people have different amounts of fat over their muscles

Please hit my Youtube FSN video link -> Link

RPG charater links - Dark Elf Lord - Fairy Lord

Talking /Thinking

Unread 06-19-2011, 04:34 PM

Points: 2,431, Level: 31 Points: 2,431, Level: 31 Points: 2,431, Level: 31
excelsius is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to excelsius

Well. I cannot say this by a scientific point, but at my training place there is a very, very thin man. I could grab his ankles with one hand.

Yet, he is one of the most strong and powerful fighter of the gyn.
Able to knockout people with two times his own weight.
So, usually bigger muscles are stronger than smaller ones. But, the way of using it makes a big difference too.
Unread 06-19-2011, 05:38 PM

swordswoman
Blogger
Super donator
OC Guild 4
RPG'er
KING

Points: 190,057, Level: 100 Points: 190,057, Level: 100 Points: 190,057, Level: 100
Activity: 68%
Activity: 68% Activity: 68% Activity: 68%
Saber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to beholdSaber is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Saber

I have seen people who build up huge muscles through using anaebolic steroids and they dont have much strength and power behind their muscles.

I also know that in Tai chi you build up muscle that is strong but does not get bulky. And actually in this martial art bulky muscles can spoil the grace of how you do the movements and can hinder technique.
And someone can come from building up muscles from use of steroids, but they dont have the same or better strength than the one who has small muscles but worked on core strength by doing Nei Gung and things like Iron robe.

I think good strong muscles can be found when the muscles have the elasticity to be flexible and the shape to make good connections with ligaments and tendons. And they all have to have flexibility to get the strength and power to be used in a fight or to lift heavy things.

Unread 06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Senior Mod Exp

Points: 11,638, Level: 74 Points: 11,638, Level: 74 Points: 11,638, Level: 74
Activity: 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%
Elementalkatana Has shown honour and chivalryElementalkatana Has shown honour and chivalryElementalkatana Has shown honour and chivalryElementalkatana Has shown honour and chivalry

I had to read some basic things to keep to answer and, incredibly, muscle size is not directly proportional to the force. By physiology the muscular strength can be defined as the force that a muscle or muscle group can exert against a resistance in a unique maximum effort.

Scientifically speaking, the Physics we have:

FORCE = MASSA X ACCELERATION;

Therefore, we conclude that:

MUSCULAR POTENCY = STRENGTH X SPEED;

The force can be divided into three types:

Pure Force or Static - is the execution of a movement where you need a lot of muscle mass. Lift someone or something very heavy, for example. This method will produce the muscle hypertrophy, or increasing muscle mass.

Dynamic Force - is the possibility of moving a load by a limited quantity of repetitions. Carrying a child in the arms or climbing bleachers, for example.

Explosive Force or Potency - is the ability to make a strong move, and fast. A punch, a sliced in the volleyball, a race to cross on the street in traffic. For the fighters would be interesting movements combined with strength and burst of speed to have the maximum potency or power of punches, kicks and defenses. Real example of this would be the famous one inch punch of Mr. Bruce Lee, demonstrated during the International Karate Tournament in Long Beach.

As a curiosity, through scientific researches has proved that our muscular structure, is divided into fibers. And there are two divisions of these muscle fibers. These are:

WHITE FIBERS – FAST MOVEMENTS;

RED FIBERS - STRENGTH MOVEMENTS (SLOW);

There are laboratory studies made with particles of a certain muscle, which can separate the proportionality of an individual in relation to their muscle fibers. Thus, it is possible to Determining and ranking the individual for each sport.

So, the amount of fibers will depend on the work you intend to accomplish them. But everyone, whether big or small a force is report for a certain end goal. A fighter, for example, is in the middle of this classification of muscle fibers. Because, he needs one good physical structure to deal with violent blows that are accepted by the opponent, and also must have speed in his blows.

In my opinion, besides having a physical condition with exercise and balanced diet, you should work the mind and spirit. Both work in sync if one of these factors is not well, consequently the other is also not good.
The psychological factor, in particular, I consider it as the most important and difficult to handle. And it is this factor that determines the performance of an athlete of any kind of sport.

" God's in his heaven. All's right with the world " - Nerv Slogan
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:53 AM

Points: 2,257, Level: 30 Points: 2,257, Level: 30 Points: 2,257, Level: 30
Joesiden is on a distinguished road

ok well I used to believe that bigger was better (that's what she said) until I started triathlon training. Bigger muscles, for the most part, are stronger than little ones. After a certain point though, the strength to size ratio becomes inert (not a piccolo joke).
Consider Bruce Lee. Not a big guy by any means, but was said to be able to hold 195 pounds with fully extended arms. Now THAT is strong. Bruce also believed that bigger muscles could hurt their effectiveness. He didn't train his bicep hard because he wanted it to be a little weaker than the triceps, which does more work when throwing a punch, therefor increasing his speed and power.
Also, the big muscles that we see from bodybuilder types are mainly a house of cards. Before the competition they drink a lot of fluids and do a couple of exercises that make the muscles bloat... kinda like a waterbed. Well, that and a butt-load of steroids. Get it? cause they inject it into... nevermind.
And finally, bigger muscles require more energy to use. So I prefer to keep my muscles small and powerful.
Unread 11-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Site Creator

Points: 374,446, Level: 100 Points: 374,446, Level: 100 Points: 374,446, Level: 100
Activity: 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
Ascended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud ofAscended Vegeta has much to be proud of

Quality is better than quantity.

There are different types of muscle fibber.

bigger is not always better.

Like I said you can train for size or strength. These are different requirements requiring different training.

Training for strength does not equate to having more bulk.

Please hit my Youtube FSN video link -> Link

RPG charater links - Dark Elf Lord - Fairy Lord

Talking /Thinking

Unread 11-20-2017, 03:37 AM
Moderator in training
Super donator
Hatchling Dragon
Citizen Representative

Points: 3,349, Level: 37 Points: 3,349, Level: 37 Points: 3,349, Level: 37
Activity: 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
Seadragon AMV`s Has shown honour and chivalrySeadragon AMV`s Has shown honour and chivalrySeadragon AMV`s Has shown honour and chivalry

By Elementalkatana comment we have different types of muscles...so is important to have an equilibrium (Balance) with your muscle and how you have practice with them.

Bigger Muscles can be better, but can be worse than someone has little muscle and have practice (in sports you can see the athletics strength with ball or etc. and they haven`t "Big" muscle, we can see trained muscles or "defined" muscles).

Playstation Network: Seadragon7

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/onoharatatsumi

My Anime List: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Seadragongamv

League of Legends Profile:
http://jp.op.gg/summoner/userName=Unlimited%20Blade

" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSy...YBrSakoAbT3nsw" *****Seadragon AMV`s 竜海*****

Tags
hypertrophy, size, strength