Go Back   Anime Forum > General Discussion Forums > Education and work Centre > Collage and university

Collage and university Collage and university issues and discussions.

Unread 07-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Citizen: Dragon Clan.
Resting Mod
Youngling Dragon

Points: 8,268, Level: 63 Points: 8,268, Level: 63 Points: 8,268, Level: 63
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
The Grindel Katinka has shown loyalty and contrubutedThe Grindel Katinka has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Default ugh college funding..

I'm trying to get some forms filled out so that I can go back to college for creative writing and art and MAYBE I'd like to take some graphic design or cosmetology courses. I've already taken a semster of writing and art before I had to cut college completely since my family couldn't afford sending me. I really do need to go back and I'm thankful for the sense enough to not cram every possible day I can with classes. I can only handle so much at once. So, here's to hoping I can go back and get a higher education. >> Again. Are there any extra courses you guys think I might like aside from mythology and poetry?

Feh. I also have to find my SAT and ACT scores to finish the paperwork though and it is driving me absolutely batty trying to find it so I can finish filling out the forms. Hooray for government funding if I can get it. Wish me luck though.. I'll need it.

You got a job- I ain't got one, you got a wad- I got a shotgun, You got a guard- I got a squad, you here to work and I'm here to ROB~ Tech N9ne

Last edited by The Grindel Katinka; 07-16-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Citizen

Points: 5,391, Level: 50 Points: 5,391, Level: 50 Points: 5,391, Level: 50
dxs925 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ugh college funding..

G'Luck with that lol. The crappy thing for me was that my parents didn't make enough money to just pay for all of my education and they made too much money for me to qualify for financial aid, added to the fact that I lived with my parents only on paper and was living with my friends since I was 17ish. My only choice was a state grant, like a contract that will pay for your education but if you get bad grades they make you pay it back. This would only work if I quit working and moved back in with my parents (which i fuc*in couldn't stand, but had to do). Life was pretty pointless and wasn't moving forward for me so i had to do something rash :X . The paperwork and redtape is a labyrinth of showing family income history, questionnaires of some of the most stupid and nonsensical information, transcripts, falling in lines, making phone calls to automated machines for about an hour or two, resource websites that don't work or are impossible to navigate through, and the one I hated most of all...waiting for the higher ups that my parents and I pay taxes to to approve the Cal Grant. Government funding was a pain in the ass to get, I actually just about gave up until a friend that worked in the financial aid office did just about everything for me to get started lol. It was really cool, just as long as I maintained a 2.8 average CAL Grant gave me tuition and books plus food all the way up to my AS and Transfer studies at my local JC. It was about $2800 for Spring, $15 for summer, $25 for fall, for two years in the form of one big ass check every semester. The cool thing was, at the time, I was going to JC for my transfer studies it was only $18 a unit and each semester I took 9-12 units (3-4 classes), so after I bought books I would have about two thirds to a quarter of the of the money left over from the CAL grant check. I used it on clothes, gas, and going out with friends and stuff I transferred to a state school for two more years and got my BS in Business, it all kinda works itself out if you really have nothing else to do but study Paying for real college is a whole different scary story though lol, ask about it when you get to that point, otherwise you wont wanna go Just get those transfer studies done and possibly an AA/AS to fall back on, that way if you want to go for your bachelors you can transfer to Uni/State college to get your Bachelors

Here's a good story that kinda opened my eyes towards school. A friend got her bachelors degree and qualified for a job opening at a company. She applied for it and got the job. Her coworker who's at the same salary rate, never went to school but has worked at the company for 7+ years. They both make around $60,000 a year. My friend is 24, her co-worker is 40...school ftw!!!!!!
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Resting Mod
Youngling Dragon

The Grindel Katinka has shown loyalty and contrubutedThe Grindel Katinka has shown loyalty and contrubuted

congrats X3 I'm not going to leave state for my school though. I'm too paranoid and being learning disabled and going to college.. well it tends to make a loooot of people laugh at you and want to make you give up. Not to mention I'd only be going as often as twice a week for one class so out of state wouldn't be worth it ^^; I know I can keep the GPA up though. I managed to leave high school with a solid 4.0 (I have no idea how though, I did more doodling and reading random textbooks instead of doing the actual homework and assignments lol) :3

You got a job- I ain't got one, you got a wad- I got a shotgun, You got a guard- I got a squad, you here to work and I'm here to ROB~ Tech N9ne
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Citizen

ty! I didn't have to leave the state in the path i choose, which all kinda worked out. I'm sure you'll do fine in whatever you choose to do. Who should care what you do, say, or look like but yourself? Anyone that opens their mouth negatively towards you is just a hater. They should feed your ambition and make you try even harder. I'd walk around school naked and wouldn't give a shi* what anyone thought as long as I'd be getting mine You owe your success and future to yourself, not anyone else, so never give up (a friend taught me that one). Ya lol, looking back at highschool, its a blur but I managed to do all right. The number one culprit for desk "art" was me lol, I was assigned to clean desks after every single one of my classes junior through senior year
Unread 07-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Resting Mod
Youngling Dragon

LOL I scribbled art on every piece of paper a teacher handed me XD I'd leave them little doodles dedicated to them and quickly became their favorite student because when I finished every test I'd use my scrap sheet to dedicate a drawing to them xP That and they always had a paper fairy poof to look forward to if they ever got sick and couldn't come to school to teach.

Unread 07-17-2010, 01:51 AM
Citizen

For a U.S. history midterm junior year, I had a really bad hangover and didn't really feel like giving it a 110%. At the end of the Multiple choice and short answer questions I was supposed to write a 2 page essay on the causes and effects of the Boston Tea Party...I drew 2 pictures. The first was a group of hobo-esque Americans talking about how broke they were due to the taxes. The next picture was the same Hobo-esque Americans drunk as all hell dressed as Indians raiding a British ship with molotov cocktails and jugs of moonshine in hand. I got a C on the essay part of the midterm. I asked around and it seemed like half the class got D's on the essay section. I looked at the notes and the teacher had written me a short comment, it read...~"I'd imagine it was exactly like that, half this class wrote me bullshi* and yours was fun to make sense of, thank you" I got a B overall on the midterm and posted it on my fridge. My mom facepalmed when she saw it XD
Unread 07-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Resting Mod
Youngling Dragon

epic win on your essay man XD My English professor was an awesome guy and he always had fun cause he'd let me point out his typos on the chalkboard. "Sir you just said the exact opposite of what you wrote! DDD:" He'd look at it and laugh before he fixed it and congratulate me on either catching it or tease that he was keeping us on our toes. It got really funny when everyone in the class paid attention enough to spot those XDD he started handing out cookies to the first person to catch a typo or a reversed set of words because it encouraged us to pay attention <3

Tags
college, funding