View Single Post
Unread 12-12-2015, 12:19 AM
Citizen

Points: 2,632, Level: 33 Points: 2,632, Level: 33 Points: 2,632, Level: 33
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Cudwieser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: whats considered old or classic?

I'm going to side with 80's guy on this. The Big O is still relatively new, but it is on the old side of new. At the minute I'd stick with the notion that anything pre-millenium being classic by default, but in saying that...

The notion of classic is subjective as hell as a lot goes down to personal taste. In saying that I'd at least consider The Big O a future classic due to it's art style and interesting story. It is far from a paragon, but given it's age and off beat style that is reminiscent of Tetsunji it stands out from it's contempories in many good ways.

On a final point. Classic as a term is one often applied by default to a period of history an item goes through (ususally25 to 50 years old) so anyhing old has a classic period even if it isn't considered a classic by many (The Austin alegro is a classic car, but...). After that it will become vintage (50-100 years old), then finally antique (100 years and over). Having said that, the specific time periods things must pass to gain a status are subjective enough that some would consider some technological things classic after only 10 years due to the less durable and more obsolescent nature of things.

Last edited by Cudwieser; 12-29-2015 at 08:20 AM.